Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had 4 Taurus firearms, 2 semi, 2 revolvers, and have been entirely satisfied with them. However, I recently got a Taurus M85S, 5 shot 38SPL, and it locks on the 5th round in the cylinder 100% of the time. I took it, and my parents, out to a range today and found this out.

When it gets to round #5, the gun locks and won't allow the trigger to be depressed. In order to cycle through, you have to reset the trigger back to its normal state, but then it goes back to round #1. Rinse and repeat. I cycled the cylinder a few times and a certain chamber is where it is locking up.

Also, the trigger tension on this thing is tough. I'm 5'11, 210lbs (i like bacon) and I have to stand in this thing full force to get a round off.

I'm looking for some solid advice on this. I appreciate any ya'll can offer.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome aboard from the GunShine State.
Sorry about the m85 troubles. Have you mic'd each chamber as you rotate it? How's the S.A. thumb-cock? Will it then cycle past the problem chamber? Is the cylinder rod bent? Is it new? There may be a burr or shaving that is stuck in there.
I recently acquired a used m605. I haven't had it to the range yet. When I mic'd it, it's pretty tight, the largest gap being .006, and the closest is .003. I worry that it could heat up and expand, and thus bind (highly unlikely). It's not a "range" gun, so I'm not worried about putting a couple of hundred rounds through it in a session.
Just fishing for info, here.
Keep asking questions. I learn a bunch of stuff from these folks every day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Drummin. I contacted Taurus and they said to send it on in. for repair. From what I have read, the issue could be that the cylinder isn't set/timed correctly, off center, etc. Taurus paid for the shipping to and fro - I just hope to get it back before their estimated 6 week turn around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.