Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance if I missed it somewhere but after buying a new Model 856 I tried to find a Model 85 to compliment it and only see used 85's for sale now. I checked Taurus website and don't see the 85 listed. I see all the gun sites state not in stock. Does in fact Taurus still make them? Never heard they quit but what do I know? Thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
The Taurus 85 is no longer in production. It had a good life with Taurus but the 856 has took it's place.

You will have a difficult time finding new ones. The stock dried up real fast. Just shows you how popular the gun was.

Be interesting to see if the 856 really takes it's place as far as popularity.

Good luck finding one. If you do find a new one and you really one one you better buy it and don;t haggle about price.

Bu there is plenty of used 85's out there right now and it will be interesting to see how long the used market last.

I suspect it will dry up pretty fast.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Excuse my ignorance if I missed it somewhere but after buying a new Model 856 I tried to find a Model 85 to compliment it and only see used 85's for sale now. I checked Taurus website and don't see the 85 listed. I see all the gun sites state not in stock. Does in fact Taurus still make them? Never heard they quit but what do I know? Thanks
The 85's been discontinued. The 605 (same thing in .357) is still a current product.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
The 85's been discontinued. The 605 (same thing in .357) is still a current product.
Exactly. If I was in the market for (another) 85, I'd just go with a 605. An earlier one. Real stainless, nicely finished... and no plastic.

·
Super Moderator
21,544 Posts
I have a 85 from the 80's that my dad carried for years. It is my dog walking gun and quick trip gun. My wife loves it and we both shoot it well.

It has held up very well for its age, Here's a picture! I would jump at a good used one in a heartbeat!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ended up with a pristine 85, made in late 2016. Both the 856 and my new 85 fit the bill real nice. My Grand kids will each reap the rewards one day of each getting a nice 38 snub nose. Until then I will enjoy the abilities of carrying a light weight revolver, 5 shot or 6 shot whichever I feel like. And deep down know it's a good revolver and it dang sure didn't break the bank.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well ended up with a pristine 85, made in late 2016. Both the 856 and my new 85 fit the bill real nice. My Grand kids will each reap the rewards one day of each getting a nice 38 snub nose. Until then I will enjoy the abilities of carrying a light weight revolver, 5 shot or 6 shot whichever I feel like. And deep down know it's a good revolver and it dang sure didn't break the bank.
Well done caryg. Enjoy.

·
22,321 Posts
Be interesting to see if the 856 really takes it's place as far as popularity.
Personally, I fully expect it to. Nothing I've read about the 856 makes me doubt it's design or construction.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy to hold

Both revolvers feel good in the hands. The steel 85 defiantly heavier than the 856. Kind of hard telling one from the other, I do like the Taurus bull grips on both. I used to be a wood grip person but getting older my hands appreciate the softer feel of the soft rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Exactly. If I was in the market for (another) 85, I'd just go with a 605. An earlier one. Real stainless, nicely finished... and no plastic.
I overpaid for a 2002 model 605 because they no longer make them DAO and polished stainless. Mine is like new as snub nose 357s tend to be shot very little due to the recoil and cost of ammo. I bought it before I bought my 856. DSCF0212 (2018_11_28 02_35_33 UTC).JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts