Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know much about the taurus M616 4" 357? I picked one of this a few month's ago at Gander Mtn for $359.95 on Clearance from $529.00 and then the next week they were back at $529.00. I have tried to check the Taurus website but I don't get any info. The only info I have found is from GunBroker, where there are a few for sale. If anyone has one of these M616 4" 357 in titanium. Please pass on some info regarding how they shoot or if they are worth a dam. This is not my first gun but it is my first revolver. I have NOT shot it yet but plan to get to the range this weekend to shot my newest toy ( Stag AR15 ).

I was also looking for some laser grips but can't find any for this model. If anyone has laser grips or even replacement grips for this model I would love to get the info.

thanks for any help
Spymen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take some soon, are there any size limits for posting pics on this site.

Thanks,
Spymen

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You can usually change the size of your pictures in your camera's menu. I put mine on the lowest setting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very unique. Looks like a ported Tracker with fixed sights. Didn't know Taurus made a gun like that.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've never heard of a fixed sight Tracker either. It might have been a special run for someone.

I'd expect that any grips for the Tracker/617 series should fit your gun.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Model:
616041SHC

Caliber:
.357 MAG

Capacity:

Barrel Length:
4"

Action:
DA/SA

Finish:
Shadow Gray

Grips:
Ribber

Weight:
24 oz

Construction:
Titanium

Supposedly, the 616 Titanium was a special run made in December 2006. They are quite difficult to come by although gunbroker does have 3 offerings right now. I find it interesting that it holds 6 rounds instead of the usual 7 that compact frame Tracker 327's allow for. (That means nice and beefy cylinder walls)

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I've got a 616. I also bought it at Gander Mountain when it was on sale back in April. I paid $319 for it. It's an all titanium 6 shot revolver with fixed sites, 4" ported barrel, and ribbed grips. I took it to the range and ran 50 rounds through it the day after I bought it. No problems but the trigger was very gritty and the trigger break inconsistent. This gun is super light weight but the porting holds down the muzzle flip. A week later I took it back to the range and after firing about 25 rounds through it the trigger bound up in the full fired position. It would not return to ready to fire position. I gently and carefully opened the cylinder while keeping it pointed down range and removed the remaining rounds. I took it back to Gander and their gunsmith fixed it. He said the internal parts had burrs on them and that the inside of the case had loose filings in it as well, but apparently not from the gun. Just not cleaned and polished at the factory. He polished all the parts and stoned the trigger. It's been working fine ever since. The trigger is now very smooth and breaks clean and consistently at about 3 / 3.5 pounds SA and about 10 DA.

Negatives - The sights suck! The sight picture is horrible and hard to pick up. This is due to the very small front site without an insert or dot. The front and rear sights being the same color make the sight picture a blur of matt grey. I added a night site (the glue on type) from Nights Sights on the front sight. This made a world of difference but it doesn't stay on long as the blast from the porting eventually blows it off. It needs to have a red plastic insert cut into it. I may do that at some point.

Positives - This gun is very light and because it lacks adjustable sights actually conceals fairly well for a 4" revolver. It doesn't snag on clothes. The porting controls what would otherwise be some very aggressive recoil due to the guns light weight. The frame is the same medium frame used on the Tracker so any grips or holsters that fit the Tracker will work on the 616. I put a set of Hogues on mine. The other positive factor is that this gun is all Titanium. I can carry it when I'm out on the boat and not have to worry about it corroding and rusting from being in a high moisture environment.

Accuracy - It's O.K. but not stellar. My 608 will lay down very tight groups but the 616 only manages 3" - 4" groups from a rest at 15 yards and it doesn't seem to matter which ammo I use in it. They all group about the same.

I bought it primarily because of the sale price. I mainly carry it in my truck as a deterrent to car jackers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts