Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus M405 40S&W Blue or stainless

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  RevolverFan 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about a Taurus M405 40S&W Blue or stainless ? I really like the durability of stainless ..but Taurus's blues finish is so nice ......

#2 ·
This past summer I bought a Taurus 605 .357 magnum revolver and it was the first matte stainless handgun I've owned. I really do like the matte stainless finish!

#3 ·
I went into the gun store to buy a new matte stainless Judge Ultralight and they were out of them. The owner attempted to order me one, but his suppliers showed the matte stainless as being discontinued in the Judge Ultralight...so...I had them order me this blued beauty:

Either way you go, you'll come out a winner as long as it's a Taurus!

#6 ·
You can't go wrong either way.... BUT!.... If blued guns get lightly scratched, you have a scratch, if stainless does there is a chance you can polish it out (but probably have to polish the entire gun). if it's a bad scratch you're screwed either way. I prefer stainless on all of my revolvers, and blued on my auto's.... I dunno why. If you carry IWB or a place that sweat gets on your pistol Stainless is better IMO.

#8 ·
You'll probably be happy with either finish. How it ends up looking depends on the kind of service and maintenance it gets. Same goes for the insides. To me the "stellar" clips are more of a concern than the gun's finish. They may require a bit of "tinkering" to get them to hold your favorite brand of ammo. Either finish will serve you well. The stainless won't show distress as quickly as the blue finish, but again it all depends - mostly on your preference and care.

#9 ·
PT-100 is right, although bluing is a chemical process that actually is similar to rust. You can get a blued revolver re-blued as apposed to a stainless revolver. The quality of the steel really depends on the different alloys used in the steel for the manufacturing of the particular product. I did some research and it seems Brazil does not import their steel from China, however I am not sure about Taurus I am going to go out on a limb and assume Taurus may use native Brazilian alloys.

#10 ·
I own several revolvers and have to say the blued Taurus guns are my preference hands down. The matte SS finish is way more prone to scratches than the blued guns, and you will not get the matte appearance back without refinishing the entire gun. The blued finish Taurus uses is not traditional bluing, so it is not nearly as likely to rust. Also, let me recommend after you clean your new gun, put on a couple of coats of regular car wax and the finish will glow. None of my blued revolvers have any rust, and they have been carried a lot in the Texas heat.

#12 ·
I say go stainless, you always know you've got it squeaky clean after you finish wiping it down. The rust protection and ability to buff out light scratches quick and easy make it my first choice.

#18 ·
I went with the "blued" 405 as opposed to the stainless version. I much prefer it to the stainless finish. Like some others, I don't like the way the stainless wears after a little usage. Also, if you take good care of the blued version (oil it , etc.), it won't let you down. Besides, I do like the look of the the finish. Kind of reminds me of the "royal blue" finish that Colt used to use....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.