Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids and I have shot an older Taurus M96 target revolver with a six inch barrel and found a few problems that need attention. First off, I am quite familiar with S&W revolvers and need to know if the fix would be similiar.

The revolver is accurate, very much so, but it has some end shake. Every other shot the hammer cannot be pulled back without wiggling the thumbpiece or the cylinder and every other cylinder full it skips a round and jumps to the next chamber.

My plan of action is to install an endshake bearing and give the gun a thorough cleaning and inspection. The gun is not owned by me, so I do not have it in my hand right now. My youngest son shot it very well and got 10 shots at 25m on an ISSF target with a score of 90 and the problems with the hammer threw him off some.

By the way, what do a Taurus M 96 and a Korth have in common? Accuracy. I got the exact same score with my Korth that my son got with the Taurus. Are they underrated? You judge but please help me to make this old neglected M96 a pure joy to shoot again.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
it still has a life time warranty

jhp

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know about the lifetime warranty, S&W has the same but I think that it is a minor problem that can easily be fixed. Before shipping the gun in and having to wait for the repair - and I remember horrorstories about the length of time - I rather give it a try to fix it.

S&W sent me the parts for repairs in the past. Does Taurus do the same or do they want the gun shipped to them only?

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I have 2 M96's - 6" each. Love them both! Call Taurus - but I think their policy right now is not to sell any parts to the consumer that go inside the firearms. (305) 624-1115, but call either around 8:30 am when they open or close to 10 pm at night when they close - otherwise you wait for a long time in the phone que.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I got Taurus'es phone number. Did anyone have the same problem and could confirm that the binding hammer and skipped chmber is related to end shake? I have a couple of Walther GSPs that I have to take care of first but afterwards I will turn my attention to the M96 and want to fix it myself.

I had a similiar problem in a couple of old S&W M&P or M10s and it was usually endshake that could be fixed easily. I do not have access to the swaging tool now but still have a few endshake bearing left and will give that a try. It should take a few weeks but I will let you know if I am successful.

·
5,686 Posts
Taurus has greatly improved their customer service and repair times. I would not listen to hear say and simply call them. If you work on it yourself or have someone else do it, you will void the warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts