Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you bought a used Taurus (of any date) and contacted Taurus for warranty repair? What has your experience been? Have you encountered any limitations or loopholes on the Taurus lifetime warranty after buying a used Taurus?
NOT trying to start a flame thread against Taurus' great warranty policy. Just interested in confirming whether it's true you can actually buy any used Taurus, anywhere, and still count on getting the excellent lifetime warranty 'for free'.

·
Registered
968 Posts
no personal experience, but their *claim* is that irreguardless of owner, the gun is warrentied for its life.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's not a claim----Taurus firearms are under warranty for life, regardless of owner. No receipts or proof of purchase needed for warranty work either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad I ran across this thread! I bought a used pt1911 over six years ago and when I was cleaning it after some target practice yesterday I noticed the frame has cracked in the magwell just above the trigger bow and seer/disconnector and since I got it used I wasn't able to utilize the warranty if they'll cover that repair. Definitely gonna give them an email and call now to see what they can do, thanks y'all

·
Administrator
35,506 Posts
I'm not so sure that this is the case anymore. You managed to stumble upon a thread that is 12 years old, and many things have changed at Taurus since then. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that your gun is only warrantied for a year now. If that's wrong, I hope that somebody will speak up and clarify but I'm completely unsure about the old 'lifetime warranty' still being a thing.

·
22,716 Posts
Here's the current (February 2021) warranty page on the Taurus USA web site. Link Hotloader, it looks like the relevant section in your case is "All legacy firearms covered under the original lifetime warranty will remain covered by that warranty." Six years ago the warranty was the no questions asked lifetime warranty, and your PT1911 should be covered. As far as I can tell...

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
I'm not so sure that this is the case anymore. You managed to stumble upon a thread that is 12 years old, and many things have changed at Taurus since then. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that your gun is only warrantied for a year now. If that's wrong, I hope that somebody will speak up and clarify but I'm completely unsure about the old 'lifetime warranty' still being a thing.
I seem to recall a year or more ago that the warranty was modified for firearms that have been "discontinued" to limit the warrant for five years after such date. This leaves the original PT111 G2 open for cessation as it was replaced by the G2C and perhaps the G2C will be replaced by the G3C. The final authority of course is Taurus USA so if in doubt or wondering, go to the source.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is good to know. I just bought a used Taurus PT-22 (alloy frame with rosewood grips) with 2 magazines from the local gun store for my go-bag and fired both magazines in the creek bed behind the house. The DAO trigger is long and fairly heavy, but it is smooth and breaks cleanly. The little pistol feels good and shot pretty well at about 7-10 yards. It was $100.00 less than a new TX-22 in the same shop, so I think I did all right.

My older daughter still hasn't returned my Taurus 85SS2UL that I loaned her almost 20 years ago, so I don't think I'm ever getting it back.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's been a long time ago. Like 20 years ago. But I bought a used PT92 and managed to break it. Called and they took care of it for free. No questions asked.

OldSarge

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had asked Taurus what a "Legacy Firearm" was?
Taurus sent me this statement.
"Legacy firearms are firearms that were covered under the lifetime warranty before it was changed to the one-year warranty."
I guess that's firearms/models made before 2017. But, I thought I read or heard that, the warranty is only good for 5 years after last manufacturing of models no longer made.
They also told me the lifetime warranty only covers guns sent to them for repair and not parts sent to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you bought a used Taurus (of any date) and contacted Taurus for warranty repair? What has your experience been? Have you encountered any limitations or loopholes on the Taurus lifetime warranty after buying a used Taurus?
NOT trying to start a flame thread against Taurus' great warranty policy. Just interested in confirming whether it's true you can actually buy any used Taurus, anywhere, and still count on getting the excellent lifetime warranty 'for free'.
I just bought a brand new 856 and the warranty card states that it only covers the first owner not life of gun. If that is something new I don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts