Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it for my house gun after the shottie. Can anyone please help me out. I am a relatively new gun guy.
For SD situations in the home-short range, most likely 20-30 feet, what would be the best BG stopper. I have checked the internet and .45 Colt loads are plentiful. Would a heavy grain lead be best, or would a heavy grain JHP be better, or else would a high velocity light round JHP be better. How about a .410 slug, or buckshot (3-5 ball).

As you can see, there are lots of options and I am sure any of the bullets would ruin a bad guys day. But, what would be the best stopper availabe. Any replys greatly appreciated. I don't care about recoil and overpenetration is not an issue. Thanks much

·
32,573 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First off, read the Revolver board threads. There are a few recent ones dealing with this. Then try a search of the archives for past threads. This will bring you up to date.

Reading the FAQs might help give you some info you might find useful. www.cornered cat.com is also a good source for info. Even if it is set up for women, the men can learn a lot.

I also recommend starting a reference library for yourself for use. Paladin Press and Gun Digest Books are a good starting place and shouldn't break the piggy bank. Just need a few to start with and collect books as needed. Every two years or so update accordingly.

I recommend Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Mas Ayoob and in the 5th edition. He is one of the foremost authors of today and explains things in a easy way for all to understand.

While the internet has some useful info, it is not the definitive source buy any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Believe or not, ammo in your home may not be the same you would want to shoot someone with outdoors like in a rural area. For a shotgun large birdshot at short range (25' or less) will work nearly like a slug and with less chance of over penetrating through walls at your family. Even an AR pistol in .223 with a barrel around 7" will normally have less over penetration then a 9mm when going through walls...

I usually carry something like 2 or 4 shot (6-8 shot works fine too) in my bedside 12gauge buddy for the first couple of rounds followed up by 12 gauge slugs. I figure if I need more then 2 shots to stop them, they are either running away or ducking for cover ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Annielulu! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts