Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Robby, I see in this months issue of American Rifleman where Handgun of the Year is The Taurus Judge. I know you are a BIG fan. Bet you're excited. Been lookin' close at this one for awhile. My have to try one for myself.

What do the rest of you think about this one.? :thumb: :thumb: :zzz:

Registered
I've fired my friends. Nice gun.

Real fun to shoot in .45colt.

With the .410 slugs it is a bear to shoot. Fun though.

I'd shoot friend's Judges but don't see a need for one. I'm saving up for another autoloader. Just not sure which one yet.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first, I thought, nice novelty item. But I see a real use in this one for self defense, and a fine snaker, if your around them. And like godadone says,"fun". Bet they're a hoot to shoot. :thumb: :angel:

Premium Member
Yeah, I got my magazines yesterday from NRA. I love the selection of my favorite toy. I carry mine for farm duty as much as anything else. Great for the snakes (we do not have many here), but I have coyote, foxes, occasional bobcats and other critters. I never have found 00's locally, and slugs do not make sense, but the 410 is just a blast to take out a large portion of a paper target too.

Registered

Super Moderator
I got no use for one, not concealable, no big advantage over my current .38 for home defense as I see it, and for outdoor use shooting .45/.410, my Contender barrel in said caliber can take birds on the wing to 25 yards and shoot handloads in .45 that would explode the Judge, superior to .44 magnum. I take my contender into the field a lot if I don't wanna tote a long gun. I had fun the other day shooting cow birds (a legal to shoot pest) on the wing and took a rabbit with it at a little over 15 yards the other day on the run. That was a hoot. :D Also shot a rattler with it that struck at a buddy that was with me. Freaked him out. I usually just side step the things and walk on, but I shot this one to make him happy. I mean, shoot one rattler, 99,999 left. :rolleyes: You ain't wearing snake boots out there, you're playing Russian roulette.

But, if you really wanna shoot snakes and can't hit one with anything else, I guess the Judge is okay. I can live without it, though. In .45 Colt, I really prefer my Ruger Blackhawk. Thing's a cannon, danged ACCURATE cannon. :D

Super Moderator
I probably ought to add, Taurus hit a home run with this gun and its marketing. I'm not sure how they did it. I mean, the concept isn't new. But, they can't make the Judge fast enough for demand, so someone sees more than I do in the gun. With 000 buck, it has merit as a defensive weapon at night in a house or apartment. I just don't have the need or the want.

Premium Member
If I had some guys collections, I might not like it either!
Taurus Rossi
M85UL M511 Sportsman
M66 3" blue M68 3"
M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
But when I was getting back into handguns, it was and still is a hoot to carry and shoot. Now it is mainly for the farm, and the option for a coyote, or even a wild dog is to rotate the cylinder and go to a 45 colt JHP to stop them without having to reload is a great option. With Blazer Aluminum 45 colts, I can tell what is coming up next easily, compared to the brass 410's.

Registered
I have the ultra lite 3" and it is one of my absolute favorites to shoot. I have been asked to sell it numerous times but this one I will keep. I put a set of Hougue grips on it but that made it a little more unmanagable. I think it may be because the gun is so light. I will be changing the grips back. I think they would be more well suited for a steel or 6.5" version.

Premium Member
muttmutt said:
I have the ultra lite 3" and it is one of my absolute favorites to shoot. I put a set of Hougue grips on it but that made it a little more unmanagable. I think it may be because the gun is so light. I think they would be more well suited for a steel or 6.5" version.
Yep, well, I could not stand to shoot it with the ribbers, it just killed my middle finger being up behind the trigger guard. But Like you say, the 6.5" is a different animal than the Ultra lite 3".

Registered
I had mine at the DPS range last week (a matte stainless 3-inch barrel). I had 7 officers make me offers right then and there.

Let's put it this way....I paid $429 for it about a year ago and one cop offered me $600 for it!!!!

I had to say no since they are becoming extremely hard to come by as of late.

But if someone says here's $2,000....I'll take your Judge---they got it. ;)

Premium Member
If I wanted to trade mine, I could get cash to boot on another gun I was looking at. Most shops cannot get but maybe 2 in a month or so. Some less than that. They are always up on the auction sites, but usually for more than I paid for mine new.

Registered
MY Taurus "THE JUDGE" Ribber Grip MOD...<:))

~"RIBS"~You Say Ribs~I Don't Need No "S T I N K I N G" Middle Finger Ribs...!!!~
My trip to the Range revealed a problem that I had read about in other reviews... Your Middle Finger just below your Trigger Finger is a persons longest, biggest finger, and the Ribber Grip is flawed in its design, in that it leaves little room between the Trigger Guard, and Grip...!!! I found the the Ribs under the Middle finger really don't compress, but fold over, and don't let that middle finger sink into the Grip hardly at all...!!! I found that shooting caused the Trigger Guard to jack back and Ding the back of your middle finger a little bit... After 20 shots of +P's you knew you were being picked on...

Well, there is a easy Mod, that can be seen in the Grip Mod Picture below...<:)) The Grip is in its natural molded satin finish, so I got My Dremel Tool out, and 1/2" round stone bit, and proceeded test it out on the interfearing Ribs... WOW... it ground them down so nice, and I could remove them down to solid rubber, and blend, taper them back so perfectly, that it looks like it was factory Molded, and the finish the stone made was a perfect match...!!!... Amazing... Its totally undetectable, that it wasn't molded that way...!!!

How did it work... Great, now my middle finger is placed properly in its own groove, and the Gun Sticks better when Jacking up after a shot...<:)) You can see clearly in the comparison sample I made in PhotoShop, of what my Grip looks like now...<:)) The problem can be seen clearly in the photo... We all were being bumped by the trigger guard...!!!....??? But was so easy to fix...<:))

TAURUS Factory Grip INFO: Coming To Grips With "THE JUDGE"
The grips on the new "THE JUDGE" are Taurus鈥 patented Ribber design. They absorb recoil and increase controllability tremendously, which is a very important factor in firing a 24-ounce, full-power-magnum handgun. A handgun鈥檚 direct recoil impact ordinarily does two things to the hand: It slams the backstrap against the web of the palm and wedges the angle of the grip downward, working to break the shooter鈥檚 grasp. Ergonomic grip designs can compensate by providing cushioning for the palm over the backstrap and by securing the purchase of the fingers against the frontstrap. The Taurus Ribber grip does both.

Molded from a soft-textured polymer, the Ribber鈥檚 backstrap is thickly cushioned around the reduced-dimension inner titanium grip-frame, and the front and sides of the grip are formed by wraparound, closely spaced, small elastomer ribs. These softly flexible ribs (visualize them as three-dimensional teeth on a comb) deform and squeeze together when grasped, shaping themselves into a natural 鈥渇ingergroove鈥 configuration that molds to the individual shape and surface of the palm and fingers of the specific hand. Released, they return to natural, ready for the next different grasp. Plus the many small ridges greatly increase the surface area contact between the grip and your palm compared to conventional solid-surface grips.

This is a major advance in grip technology. We have long known that the most effective handgun grips for keeping a secure grasp against direct recoil are those with fingergrooves鈥攂ut only if the fingergrooves match the shooter鈥檚 hand. Unfortunately, no one shape or size, no matter how 鈥渁verage,鈥 can fit every shooter鈥檚 hand (鈥渙ne size fits all鈥 always means no size exactly fits). The Ribber solves the problem, creating an individual 鈥渃ustom鈥 fingergroove fit self-molded to the individual hand every time you pick it up. It provides a remarkably comfortable and controlling grasp on lightweight titanium guns, even the snubnose Total Titanium .41 Magnum, even in rapid fire. It鈥檚 the best, most secure revolver grip design I鈥檝e ever encountered. I hope Taurus will license it to aftermarket accessory manufacturers for application to other manufacturers鈥 handgun models.

~"RIBS"~You Say Ribs~I Don't Need No "S T I N K I N G" Middle Finger Ribs...!!!~

Super Moderator
Robby said:
If I had some guys collections, I might not like it either!
Taurus Rossi
M85UL M511 Sportsman
M66 3" blue M68 3"
M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
But when I was getting back into handguns, it was and still is a hoot to carry and shoot. Now it is mainly for the farm, and the option for a coyote, or even a wild dog is to rotate the cylinder and go to a 45 colt JHP to stop them without having to reload is a great option. With Blazer Aluminum 45 colts, I can tell what is coming up next easily, compared to the brass 410's.
LOL, well, add to those five handgun, 15 more and to that long gun, add 18 more and I have a few guns. LOL And, I count the 4 barrels of my contender as one handgun. :D Not any one of 'em worth a whole lot, but they're all fun and most of 'em useful.

Registered
I am really enjoying the Judge debate, I don't have one, but don't dislike them either. I think it's a great concept & would likely be very usefull in snake country. I really like the .45 Colt, & enjoy hearing about this gun, especially from those who have them. Keep it coming, Thanks. Frank.

Premium Member
Frank then you must have loved some of my discussions earlier about +P ammo for the JUDGE. and a couple other threads that we discussed here in revolvers and factory loads.

Registered
I liked the article and I do like the Judge. Have passed up a couple because I couldn't warrent another short gun right now. I've been considering dumping my semi autos and going back to all wheel guns, except my little .380 and 9mm. If I do, then the Judge would be a good .45acp replacement, with the 410 a bonus for a night stand gun.

The Judge beats out it's predecessor The Thunder 5. Now there's a hefty carry piece.

The Judge is lighter and a bit smaller, but not by much.

www.thunder5.com is up for sale. Looks like the small company folded. Only the holster for that hunk of metal is for sale.

Registered
1 - 20 of 35 Posts