Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway I can get a hammer/trigger system to replace the internal key locking system for my 44 Mag. I see S&W is bringing out several of it's revolvers from the factory without their internal locking system that the put on their revolvers after they had caved into Slick Willie and the rest of the Gun Grabbers during the Clinton Years. So as a result of S&W decision is Taurus concidering going the same route.......

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
I have heard nothing of no locks from Taurus. The only ones I know about from Smith are the "classics", remakes of older guns, which are retailing for from 700 to 1200 dollars depending on model. Personally, I have one Taurus, the M85, with a lock and I just ignore it. You could replace the hammer with an older one, but that would require fitting as it would affect the sear engagement. I don't even notice the lock on the Taurus. I don't even know where the key is, haven't used it since I bought the gun 10 years ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NativeTexan

Same thing here I don't know where my key is either, it's somewhere around here, but I never use it. It's just that I 'd like to loose it, the locking mechanism that is something that's on the pistol and is subject to failure and I'd just as soon not have it on the revolver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Smith is not doing away with their locks I don't think.  They are in response to local, not federal laws.  The Classics have it too, at least the ones I have seen in person, and in the ads, if you look close.  Only a few select runs made for large distributors (with what I am led to believe is old parts) are available without the locks.
I kinda like the Taurus lock. Lets me have one gun out, loaded, and reasonably available without worrying too much about providing a bad guy with a loaded weapon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You'd be MUCH better off hiding it very well...
Alden

·
Registered
171 Posts
Virginian said:
Smith is not doing away with their locks I don't think. They are in response to local, not federal laws. The Classics have it too, at least the ones I have seen in person, and in the ads, if you look close. Only a few select runs made for large distributors (with what I am led to believe is old parts) are available without the locks.
I kinda like the Taurus lock. Lets me have one gun out, loaded, and reasonably available without worrying too much about providing a bad guy with a loaded weapon.
Right, you wouldnt be providing the bag guy with a loaded weapon, but it wont do you much good either. If a bag guy breaks into your home hes not gonna sit there and wait for you to fumble around with the key and unlock your gun so you can shoot him. Much better to put it somewhere thats easily accessible, but hard to find if you dont know where it is. Just my opinion!

JT

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh, and by "bag guy" i really mean "bad guy" haha sorry bout that

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
Is the issue that you don't like the way it looks? To me, that would be the only reason to not want it there. Otherwise, it's something to ignore, if you don't ever plan on using it.

It's time to face the fact that gun makers are going to be under intense scrutiny every day they choose to stay in business. To the gun grabber crowd, a locking mechanism is the LEAST that gun makers can do. You don't hear so much about it these days, but there was talk about 7-8 years ago about some type of biometric device built into the grip and trigger that would only allow the owner of the firearm to shoot it. These are things that need to be fought, but if the fight is lost, don't hold the gun maker accountable because they 'caved'. They are just trying to stay in business.

On the positive side, there are no real cases where the locking mechanism caused any kind of FTF. There are alot of trolls that claim they have had an FTF, but S&W is pretty adamant in the fact that there have been no real world issues of any kind with the lock. Some people are just really pissed that their beloved S&W did something politically expedient and got the government off their backs, for the time being at least.

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
Please don't shoot the guy with a bag, at least if he's a fat guy all dressed in red that slid down the chimney. That guy has DELIVERED guns to me, before. :D He keeps 'em in that bag.

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
You can, and I won't recommend it, just remove the hammer, lock the lock, then grind off the little extension that locks it in the frame. Me, I just don't bother locking it. There is no way in heck it's going to lock itself, would defy the laws of physics.

·
32,737 Posts
Dismanteling any safety device is never a good thing for the most part. It voids the warranty on the gun.

Second,deactivating or removing any safety device will more than likely be used in court, should your gun be used in defense, to show that gross negligence was committed. Thus murder or negligent homicide charges will be brought by the prosecuting officials.

This happens enough and is thoroughly documented by the professionals ( lawyers and expert witnesses) who do this for a living and see it every day.

Have to agree with Native Texan completely on this due to his sound reasoning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Taurus lock is far superior to the S&W lock in my honest opinion. I really don't mind the Taurus lock at all. I will not buy a new S&W because of their poor lock design as I see it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@ Powerkicker: i've actually have seen the S&W lock walk itself shut during a friend's training. i've never owned a new smith and i never will. don't trust them. the Taurus locks are far superior in my opinion, but i won't buy them simply because i don't trust them. i prefer buying the older models w/o the lock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts