Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cannot believe what's happening right now. After dealing with Taurus and their warranty for a month and a half, they finally sent me a replacement TCP. I took the gun to the range and fired a hundred rounds through it. When I brought it home, I disassembled and cleaned it, now the gun won't go back together.

A supervisor from Taurus called me on Tuesday, after a month and a half of holding onto my defective TCP. She told me that the gun would be shipping within 24-48 hours, and gave me a tracking number. I read the tracking number back to her to confirm, she confirmed it was correct. I checked the tracking number for the next two days, nothing popped up. I emailed her to ask if she sent the TCP, and if I could have the tracking number again. I didn't and still haven't got a response. I decided to call the LGS they were transferring the replacement TCP to. Low and behold, they have the gun. I was glad I called otherwise I probably would've been waiting for a while. Since it appeared to me from the tracking number that the gun hadn't shipped out, I did not go into the LGS to fill out any paperwork. When they received the TCP, they didn't know why they had it so they called Taurus. Apparently a few minutes into the conversation, the LGS representative got hung up on. When I went in to pick it up they had no idea what was going on.

The first TCP that I got barely chambered a round, so when the replacement started chambering rounds, I was ready to shoot. I asked the rep if I could test fire the gun. Six shots, no problems, looking good. I brought the gun home and cleaned the heck out of it, put on the Traction Grip that I ordered for it two months before, and went to bed. The next day I headed back to the range after work. I fired 100 rounds. The gun jammed 2-3 times, and also was doing something else very strange. Every other mag or so, on the last round the slide would lock back. When I looked into the slide, the last round was pushed slightly forward out of the magazine. I'm guessing when the slide came back it couldn't catch the round since it wasn't seated all the way back? I don't know, I'm not a mechanic. So because of those issues, I decided very shortly after that I would not feel safe using the TCP as a carry gun. It happened multiple times on multiple different reloads. It could be used recreationally I guess, although it's not really the nicest handling or fun gun to shoot. So I went home. Let the gun sit for a few hours and then got ready to clean it.

I took it apart and wiped the new replacement TCP down. I wanted to show it to a friend of mine so I went to reassemble it. The slide jammed on me. I couldn't get it all the way back. Thinking, maybe I dropped the barrel in or put the spring in incorrectly? I reassembled the slide, spring, and barrel. Tried to slide the slide back on the frame.. Jam, hard jam. I slid the slide back forward slightly, looked at the frame. It's all jacked up. It's got a big scratch on it where the barrel would slide through the frame. It's also missing some finish because of the jamming as well.

I'm going to post a video of what's happening with the gun, and I HOPE somebody knows what's wrong with it or has seen it before. I'm going to be VERY VERY disappointed if I have to send it back to Taurus, almost immediately after I received it, for another six weeks to have it repaired or replaced. That'll be over 3 months from the time I purchased it that I may hypothetically get a working TCP. I really can't believe this. What do you guys think?

I really wish this was all a big joke. But it's really disappointing. I'm stunned. Taurus really needs to do something about this for me. I've tried my best to work with them to figure this all out. It's not getting any better. I really want to like the TCP, but Taurus is making it so difficult.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Looks like a burr on your barrel where the pin is inserted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great, so now I can call them and request to get a new barrel and deal with a brand new frame that's scratched to hell. Or I can send my gun back in and wait another month and a half to get a replacement. This was a replacement that they tested HP ammo with. That means that the TCP went through standard quality control checkpoints, as well as a personal hands on check point. What's the deal with Taurus's quality control? Any recommendations?

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Wow! I have multiple TCPs & have never seen that. Just throwing out ideas here - can you try laying the slide assembly down on its top & put it together upside down? The reason being so you might be able to glimpse or feel exactly where the barrel is "dropping" or binding on the frame?

Here's a decent video done by a you tuber that shows how it should go. I am so sorry you are having such crap luck with your Taurus.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You should be able to feel the burr where the cutout for the pin is on the barrel. If it is indeed a burr, I would take a little emery cloth and try and sand it down till the slide will fit the frame. I have an original "Model A" TCP and the barrel is smooth where the pin is inserted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! I have multiple TCPs & have never seen that. Just throwing out ideas here - can you try laying the slide assembly down on its top & put it together upside down? The reason being so you might be able to glimpse of feel exactly where the barrel is "dropping" or binding on the frame?

Here's a decent video done by a you tuber that shows how it should go. I am so sorry you are having such crap luck with your Taurus.
I edited my post above and added photos of the burr. When I line up the barrel, it's clear that the burr is causing the issue. It's very sharp on the pin side so when the barrel gets pulled back through the slide it grabs the frame.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I edited my post above and added photos of the burr. When I line up the barrel, it's clear that the burr is causing the issue. It's very sharp on the pin side so when the barrel gets pulled back through the slide it grabs the frame.
I'd just hit it with a round file or some emery and be done with it. You'll wait another month and a half to get it fixed with Taurus.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Ah! I couldn't see it in the video. Do you own a dremmel? If so using a very fine sanding bit I would take the burr off then use some flitz Polish & a buffing bit to buff the inside of the barrel lug where the pin contacts. I would also direct Taurus to view this thread and to sent you a QC TRIPLE CHECKED barrel at their expense!

You can buy barrels since they are not serialized, so they shouldn't need your gun, since the problem is here for the world to see. One would think so anyways?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues,I would stone debur your slide,barrel and frame.Get everything as smooth as possible,oil reassemble and try it.If you still have issues your probably better off dumping the gun for something else.My experience not with taurus but others has been if they don't fix it the first trip it usually doesn't get fixed no matter how many trips it makes.Good luck

·
Super Moderator
36,040 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. Just curious as I see the "security keys" on your bench. Have you activated the security system on your pistol? I am wondering if that could be at the root of the issue. I have not experienced any problems with mine, however I've not locked it up either.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
I'd buff that all out myself, then shoot it some and make my decision as to whether I was going to trade it out or keep it.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
There was another post, made several weeks ago, that showed the apparent same issue on a TCP. It couldn't have been this one, could it? If so, then there's an issue with time-lines.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Logic would suggest that the bur happened after the original assembly, otherwise how did the gun get assembled the first time around? That being said what caused it during firing the pistol?

Cleaning up the burr may solve the problem, I think I would pass on fixing it myself and send it back on their dime. There may be a bigger unseen issue. I would also point out in a written description concerns of what caused the burr so they just don't replace the barrel and move on.

Sorry you have had bad luck with two TCPs now. I still carry mine daily and have well over 1200 problem free rounds fired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I had the same exact thing happen to mine. While you were shooting did you notice the take down pin working its way out? Mine did and I would push it back in and keep shooting, my aluminum frame was all gouged up, Taurus did replace but then you have to wait the 6 weeks, I blame myself for how bad mine got because I kept shooting, I had to hammer the slide off.. But Taurus honored it . great warranty I just wish they would work a little faster.. They have a PT740 of mine to fix or replace . bought it new had it for 2 days polymer frame cracked today is week number 3 for it.....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Man that stinks....I would send it back along with the a video link.

There could be an additional issue (out of spec pin, hole, etc) that caused the burr during firing. I don't think just simply filing down the burrn will "FIX" the issue. It sure enough may fix it forever, but there could very well be an out of spec part that will just cause further more damaging problems down the road. IMO something caused the burr during live fire which is never a good thing.

·
Banned
824 Posts
that barrel is definitely been peened. what really bothers me is the issue that caused it. it was probably assembled properly and beat itself out of shape with firing it. that is not good in any way.

either the barrel metal is soft and out of spec or there are alignment issues. machined surfaces could be out of alignment etc. something is causing it to vary its travel enough so that it peened the cam and wore the frame.

even if you file it away it will likely occur again. I had a pt25 do a very similar thing.

My advice to you - touch it up with a small file - polish it out - sell as quickly as possible. Buy an LCP.

·
Super Moderator
19,742 Posts
All previous posts reviewed and this is ONLY my HO.

I would pull the trigger to decock the pistol as almost all my semis require pulling trigger to pull the slide off and remain decocked for replacement of barrel.

I would also file down the burr then polish the barrel as slick any shiny as I could.

Then try it out. If I had a fully functioning pistol, I wouldn't worry about the slide appearance. No one will ever see it except when field stripped anyway. Most of my carry guns are now beginning to show holster wear - and it is visible to anyone who looks at it U holstered but they still shoot fine. But, as I said, this is only my humble opinion. Hand fitted guns are some if he best shooting on the planet;D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.