Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weather cooperated, so it was time to take out three new firearms for a test run. A new Beretta 92A1, new Ruger PC carbine, and the object of this review - the new Taurus GX4.

My model of the GX4 came with two 11 round magazines. In a break from the normal Taurus box, the GX4 comes in a nice lockable plastic case. Also in a break from most of the micro 9's, the GX4 comes with two back strap choices. More on that later. Of course we can't forget to mention the mini GX4 take down tool.

I purchased one Taurus 13 rnd magazine and one 13 round extender upgrade kit for the 11 round mag. The other 11 round mag got a pinky extension. I get a good 3 finger grip with the pinky rest, but the extended mag provides the best grip for me. Now lets discuss some specs: Weight of the pistol with 11+1 rounds is 23.7 oz's, 13+1 rounds is 25 oz's. The trigger pull is at 3lb 6oz's (5 pull avg) after 200 dry fires, some light action polishing and 150 rounds fired.
The trigger is as amazing as you have heard, I believe some early reviewers got a bad model, because even out of the box my GX4 measured 4lb 9oz's trigger pull. The flat trigger travels little less than 1/4" to a solid wall. Pull through and you get a crisp break, return is about 1/4" to an good reset. The barrel is 3.06" long, overall height is 4.4", and width is 1.08".
There is a 2.53" LOP with the smaller backstrap.

Here it is all dirty after the range session today. After a wipe down it still looks new after the 150 or so rounds through it. Of note is that stainless steel chassis with long rails, which helps a bunch with accuracy and smooth running. I have not had one failure during my two range sessions. So I had some initial concerns regarding the unsupported chamber and primer drag. But after more investigation and running a bunch of reloads through it, I can say that is a non issue for now.

Lets talk about shooting impressions. My first outing I used the larger back strap - big mistake. Between the trigger pinching my finger both at the bottom of the shoe and the top cutout in the frame, that large back strap really ate up my skin. I was not comfortable shooting it so my first session wasn't great. I have large hands and usually gravitate to the larger back straps..But that isn't needed with this pistol. In fact opposite of what I thought, my groups centered up using the smaller strap, whereas I was shooting 1-2" left with the large strap. o_O Well I did some sanding radius work on the trigger shoe fork, and the upper cutout and have eliminated the pinch problem. Today was a blast shooting this little wonder 9.

It shot great today, and with no pain I was able to find my cadence and shoot quickly. You can see the double and triple taps and the stacked groupings. Wow I am impressed. I was using 124 grain reloads for most of the session, but do you see the Sig Vcrown hollow point hits in the bullseye. This pistol loves those Sig 124grn vcrowns. Feeling confident I went after the 3" targets at the top in pretty rapid firing, another wow moment. POA and POI are impressive. Some other thoughts. The mag release is perfect, I do not have to break my grip to access and the mags shoot out with authority. I did paint in a skinny verticle post on the back sight to give me a dotted "i" sight picture, which works for me very well. I will probably get the $30 Ameriglo front sight later. Which is another plus, the GX4 uses Glock pattern sights. The magazine followers appear to be anti tilt and are bright yellow - always a good thing. I do have a kydex IWB holster on order, but this also fits perfectly in my Bulldog pocket holster. The mission for this is a truck gun, for when I forget to carry my Shield +. at least for now. I will review the Shield + and the GX4 in the future and we'll see which I shoot the best. For $323 + $15 4473 fee, this pistol is a real bargain. It may be early to say this, IMHO Taurus really made the jump into Micro's with this release. The other manuf's better keep their head on a swivel Taurus is a coming. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Thanks for the review, congrats on the new pistol!

·
Administrator
18,419 Posts
Great review! :cool: Sounds like the new GX4 is a winner! :) May it serve you well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
"The trigger pull is at 3lb 6oz's (5 pull avg) after 200 dry fires, some light action polishing and 150 rounds fired."
"I believe some early reviewers got a bad model, because even out of the box my GX4 measured 4lb 9oz's trigger pull."

So, I read this and though, man, maybe that's it! I bought my Gx4 the day they came out! They must have improved the trigger in the ones that came out soon after. So I finally got the courage to call Taurus customer service to see if they would do anything. I told her, I don't have and electronic trigger guage, but the pull/break is at least 6.5 pounds. I was put on hold while she checked what ever information she had to check. Came back and said, the trigger pull is supposed to be 6.5 pounds; it even says so in their promotional video. So there ya have it, friends. You either get a good one, or ya get a not so great one. I am going to take it out and dry fire it some to see if that does anything for it, but if not, looks like I'm stuck with it. I'm sure I can hand over some more $$ to have it polished up. Being that I was so excited to get this new gun, I paid the premium for it ($400), so that's a double kick in the pants. All my other Taurus pistols are fantastic, so please don't think I'm a basher, just disappointed with this one.

·
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Trigger pull is relative,,depends on lots of things. With the GX4 ya gotta pull through that hard wall. It is the design of the striker arm, stepped sear and the almost vertical drop safety shoulder on the trigger bar that cause the hard wall. So those areas got a light polish. I still have a good hard wall ( which in a micro 9 with no frame safety is a must ), but manageable trigger pull. Get a snap cap and dry fire lots.Considering I had to do that work and light sanding of the trigger shoe fork and the upper area of the trigger guard to make it comfortable for my fat fingers. Add to that the 1000's of rounds I shoot a year, on multiple pistol platforms -- all said to remind folks, this is not a beginners pistol. It takes practice to find its cadence, but once you find it...Ahhhhhh!

·
Vendor
153 Posts
"The trigger pull is at 3lb 6oz's (5 pull avg) after 200 dry fires, some light action polishing and 150 rounds fired."
"I believe some early reviewers got a bad model, because even out of the box my GX4 measured 4lb 9oz's trigger pull."

So, I read this and though, man, maybe that's it! I bought my Gx4 the day they came out! They must have improved the trigger in the ones that came out soon after. So I finally got the courage to call Taurus customer service to see if they would do anything. I told her, I don't have and electronic trigger guage, but the pull/break is at least 6.5 pounds. I was put on hold while she checked what ever information she had to check. Came back and said, the trigger pull is supposed to be 6.5 pounds; it even says so in their promotional video. So there ya have it, friends. You either get a good one, or ya get a not so great one. I am going to take it out and dry fire it some to see if that does anything for it, but if not, looks like I'm stuck with it. I'm sure I can hand over some more $$ to have it polished up. Being that I was so excited to get this new gun, I paid the premium for it ($400), so that's a double kick in the pants. All my other Taurus pistols are fantastic, so please don't think I'm a basher, just disappointed with this one.
Try polishing the heck out of the striker lug/tab where it interacts with the rear sear, just doing that dropped mine by almost a full pound.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Great review! Now you are making me eat my words, on a post from a few weeks ago, that I was not that all excited about this GX4. :sneaky:

·
Registered
G2c, Gx4, Glock 19, Glock 48, Glock 43, Keltec PF 9, Charter Arms off duty revolver
9 Posts
Weather cooperated, so it was time to take out three new firearms for a test run. A new Beretta 92A1, new Ruger PC carbine, and the object of this review - the new Taurus GX4.
View attachment 481154

My model of the GX4 came with two 11 round magazines. In a break from the normal Taurus box, the GX4 comes in a nice lockable plastic case. Also in a break from most of the micro 9's, the GX4 comes with two back strap choices. More on that later. Of course we can't forget to mention the mini GX4 take down tool.
View attachment 481155
I purchased one Taurus 13 rnd magazine and one 13 round extender upgrade kit for the 11 round mag. The other 11 round mag got a pinky extension. I get a good 3 finger grip with the pinky rest, but the extended mag provides the best grip for me. Now lets discuss some specs: Weight of the pistol with 11+1 rounds is 23.7 oz's, 13+1 rounds is 25 oz's. The trigger pull is at 3lb 6oz's (5 pull avg) after 200 dry fires, some light action polishing and 150 rounds fired.
The trigger is as amazing as you have heard, I believe some early reviewers got a bad model, because even out of the box my GX4 measured 4lb 9oz's trigger pull. The flat trigger travels little less than 1/4" to a solid wall. Pull through and you get a crisp break, return is about 1/4" to an good reset. The barrel is 3.06" long, overall height is 4.4", and width is 1.08".
There is a 2.53" LOP with the smaller backstrap.
View attachment 481156
Here it is all dirty after the range session today. After a wipe down it still looks new after the 150 or so rounds through it. Of note is that stainless steel chassis with long rails, which helps a bunch with accuracy and smooth running. I have not had one failure during my two range sessions. So I had some initial concerns regarding the unsupported chamber and primer drag. But after more investigation and running a bunch of reloads through it, I can say that is a non issue for now.
View attachment 481157

Lets talk about shooting impressions. My first outing I used the larger back strap - big mistake. Between the trigger pinching my finger both at the bottom of the shoe and the top cutout in the frame, that large back strap really ate up my skin. I was not comfortable shooting it so my first session wasn't great. I have large hands and usually gravitate to the larger back straps..But that isn't needed with this pistol. In fact opposite of what I thought, my groups centered up using the smaller strap, whereas I was shooting 1-2" left with the large strap. o_O Well I did some sanding radius work on the trigger shoe fork, and the upper cutout and have eliminated the pinch problem. Today was a blast shooting this little wonder 9.
View attachment 481158
It shot great today, and with no pain I was able to find my cadence and shoot quickly. You can see the double and triple taps and the stacked groupings. Wow I am impressed. I was using 124 grain reloads for most of the session, but do you see the Sig Vcrown hollow point hits in the bullseye. This pistol loves those Sig 124grn vcrowns. Feeling confident I went after the 3" targets at the top in pretty rapid firing, another wow moment. POA and POI are impressive. Some other thoughts. The mag release is perfect, I do not have to break my grip to access and the mags shoot out with authority. I did paint in a skinny verticle post on the back sight to give me a dotted "i" sight picture, which works for me very well. I will probably get the $30 Ameriglo front sight later. Which is another plus, the GX4 uses Glock pattern sights. The magazine followers appear to be anti tilt and are bright yellow - always a good thing. I do have a kydex IWB holster on order, but this also fits perfectly in my Bulldog pocket holster. The mission for this is a truck gun, for when I forget to carry my Shield +. at least for now. I will review the Shield + and the GX4 in the future and we'll see which I shoot the best. For $323 + $15 4473 fee, this pistol is a real bargain. It may be early to say this, IMHO Taurus really made the jump into Micro's with this release. The other manuf's better keep their head on a swivel Taurus is a coming. Thanks for reading.
Thanks for the great review 👏🏽

1 - 10 of 10 Posts