Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased this pistol thinking it was DAO. Taurus apparently does not maintain it’s website frequently. This pistol is SA/DA. My question is, can this pistol be modified to DAO?? This pistol, in its earlier generation was DAO only. I just figured that there was a pawl, sear or other, holding the striker following recoil that could be removed, allowing the striker to go to full rest as the slide returned to battery. Can anybody recommend a smith that can make this conversion??

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK....... Field stripped the pistol after work today and a couple more questions came up. Seems obvious what needs to be done. However, I'm and old 1911a1 guy. I'm used to pistols that simply come apart in your hands if you know how, all the way to detailed stripping. This pistol presents some issues that I'm not used to.

First, it looks like the trigger group needs to come out of the grip frame in order to get the sear pin (part 4.28) out. The trigger group appears to be held in the grip frame by 2 pins (part 5.2). How are these retained?? Do they just drift out??

Second, what is the purpose of the link (part 4.29)?? Does that come out as well??

Last, after calling Taurus today to see if they would do this (I whined and sniveled alot, complaining that their website was misleading, etc.) they told me that if the pistol was returned to them w/o the S/A sear, they would void the warranty. However, if it came back with all its parts in place, the warranty would stand. In these days of litigation, I guess I can't blame them.

I appreciate all the help! I need to be able to do this myself......... just in case there's a warranty issue later. While I'm not a big believer in warrantys, no need in just throwing it away! Thanks!!!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW Cimarron..... Great pic! Still more questions though. The SA sear pin (4.28) on mine is bent over on the left side and appears to be captured by the grip frame. Does it pivot clockwise before being driven out?? If not it looks like a one way ride. I do want to be able to put it back if a warranty issue comes up, and I think that would mean removing the entire trigger group from the grip frame to prevent gouging the polymer while driving the pin out. Does the SA link and pivot come out as well?? I'm at work right now, and the pistol is not available to look at.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woodape,

Nope not yet. With EOY business demands and the Holidays, I haven't had a chance to get to the range. Not even one round shot!! My plan is to run 200-300 rounds through the pistol just to make sure I don't have any issues first. I'll probably not get to that until the end of Dec or maybe Jan. I will post again after the conversion.

I think you are right about the SA pin. Looks like the two pins holding the trigger group need to be drifted out first and the trigger group pulled up slightly out of the grip frame first.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Merry Christmas!! Still haven't got to the range.......... Maybe this week. Giving some thought to your suggestion, although not too worried about taking it apart and putting it back together again. Ya think it may be just a spring issue??

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well............. Better late than never. I finally got to the range with the new Taurus and nearly new Kimber. Shot up a 2 pound coffee can of 185 gr semiwadcutters. Except for some bad primers (these reloads have been sitting in my basement for 3 years under less than ideal conditions) both pistols performed flawlessly. That's a first for me. Anyway, I'm gonna do a little more research into springs before messing further with the Taurus. These two pistols are now my #1 & 2 CCWs. By the way, my reason for wanting a DAO in teh Taurus was safety when putting it in my wifes hands. Didn't and still don't want to put an SA pistol in her hands. Too much to remember, and too much practice involved. I'm gonna work with her with her .38 snubby for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.