Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased this pistol thinking it was DAO. Taurus apparently does not maintain it’s website frequently. This pistol is SA/DA. My question is, can this pistol be modified to DAO?? This pistol, in its earlier generation was DAO only. I just figured that there was a pawl, sear or other, holding the striker following recoil that could be removed, allowing the striker to go to full rest as the slide returned to battery. Can anybody recommend a smith that can make this conversion??

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If I'm wrong one of the smithy's around will correct me but here goes. I believe it's quite simple. I think all that needs to be done is to remove the SA sear, pin, and spring. Take it to a gunsmith if you really want it done and they'll know exactly how to do it. You do know your lifetime warranty is no longer valid if you do this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK....... Field stripped the pistol after work today and a couple more questions came up. Seems obvious what needs to be done. However, I'm and old 1911a1 guy. I'm used to pistols that simply come apart in your hands if you know how, all the way to detailed stripping. This pistol presents some issues that I'm not used to.

First, it looks like the trigger group needs to come out of the grip frame in order to get the sear pin (part 4.28) out. The trigger group appears to be held in the grip frame by 2 pins (part 5.2). How are these retained?? Do they just drift out??

Second, what is the purpose of the link (part 4.29)?? Does that come out as well??

Last, after calling Taurus today to see if they would do this (I whined and sniveled alot, complaining that their website was misleading, etc.) they told me that if the pistol was returned to them w/o the S/A sear, they would void the warranty. However, if it came back with all its parts in place, the warranty would stand. In these days of litigation, I guess I can't blame them.

I appreciate all the help! I need to be able to do this myself......... just in case there's a warranty issue later. While I'm not a big believer in warrantys, no need in just throwing it away! Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
For those determined to do it...

As with most things, should be easier to remove than to put back, but as long as you know it's a one way ride then it should be as easy as driving the 4.28 SA Sear Pin out and letting the rest fall into your hand. Once this assembly (4 parts) is removed... it is a DAO auto, exactly like the original.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW Cimarron..... Great pic! Still more questions though. The SA sear pin (4.28) on mine is bent over on the left side and appears to be captured by the grip frame. Does it pivot clockwise before being driven out?? If not it looks like a one way ride. I do want to be able to put it back if a warranty issue comes up, and I think that would mean removing the entire trigger group from the grip frame to prevent gouging the polymer while driving the pin out. Does the SA link and pivot come out as well?? I'm at work right now, and the pistol is not available to look at.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've told you more than I actually know since I've never taken this move myself. I've looked at potentially doing it, but no hands on experience. However, I can't see any reason to remove the trigger group since you chould be able to remove the SA Sear without anything other than the one pin.

Flyer has been down this road, so you may want to PM him.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Yes ... yes I have. It is very easy to take out. The hard part is putting it back. I over extended the sear spring on mine which resulted in some very negative results. If you want to take them out and be done with it, then it's as easy as you say, just take the pin out, the one way it will come out, and the spring and sear will fall out.

If you turn the slide over (bottom side up), you will see the catch on the bottom (top with it upside down) of the firing pin. When the slide closes, that's what the sear catches. I'm not sure the name of it, but with the gun apart (and unloaded of course), you can see the piece that bumps the sear when you pull the trigger. That releases the sear in SA mode to release the firing pin to fire the chambered round. Some other things also happen, but for the subject at hand, they are unimportant.

The second strike option, DA part of the SA/DA, the firing pin is resting where it sits with the slide off. The part I mentioned before, then comes up to catch the tab and pull the firing pin back. Once it pulls the pin back enough, you will notice it starts to drop. You should be able to see the channel that the part slides in. Notice how the channel takes a dive towards the bottom. That dive releases the firing pin firing the chambered round.

Ifthe sear is missing, there will not be anything to catch the tab on the pin when the slide is returned.

Does any of that make any since?

I want to be very clear though. If you replace the sear and spring, any damage to that spring will render the gun unsafe. I would recommend in fact, sending it back without the spring, or the spring totally bent so that they will replace it without question.

In case that wasn't clear enough, DO NOT replace them with any damage to the spring and expect it to not malfunction!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Flyer......... Just to be clear, can the SA sear pin be removed with the trigger group in place in the grip frame without leaving a mark? It looks like it is captive by the polymer.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Yes, it can. Remove the pin that holds the sear in and the sear and spring will fall out. Assemble otherwise as normal and it should operate as a DAO pistol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey rohlott ,,,,, did you do it ?

I've got a 745 too and am kind of curious how yours worked out. I took a look at mine and it looks like the 4.28 sear pin has too much of a bend to let it come out far enough to remove the sa sear and spring.

I would love to do this to mine but when I tried to drift the pin out it didn't budge after a couple of good taps and I quit before I messed something up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woodape,

Nope not yet. With EOY business demands and the Holidays, I haven't had a chance to get to the range. Not even one round shot!! My plan is to run 200-300 rounds through the pistol just to make sure I don't have any issues first. I'll probably not get to that until the end of Dec or maybe Jan. I will post again after the conversion.

I think you are right about the SA pin. Looks like the two pins holding the trigger group need to be drifted out first and the trigger group pulled up slightly out of the grip frame first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rohlott,

My thoughts exactly on the two pins holding the trigger group in the frame. Looks to me that once you lift the trigger group up out of the grip frame the rest would be easy. I'll give it another look after muzzleloader season and the hollidays are over. I'll post the results when I do. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well,, last night I posted the results of removing the SA sear in my Taurus 745 and today I deleted it. This morning I took it out and test fired it,,,or tried to!! The results were light firing pin strikes and now I have to re-do everything I un-did last night. :'(

Everything looked so good but as the old saying goes, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE,,DON"T FIX IT"!!

rohlott,, my advice would be to leave it as it is!! I'll keep my eyes open for a generation 2 145 and pick one of them up if I want a DAO after this!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Merry Christmas!! Still haven't got to the range.......... Maybe this week. Giving some thought to your suggestion, although not too worried about taking it apart and putting it back together again. Ya think it may be just a spring issue??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well,,, if you do decide to remove the sear be aware that when you remove the SA pin , the parts DO NOT just fall out into your hand. The sear is held in the trigger group with a small link and another pin on the left side of the trigger assembly.When you take this pin out along with the link that holds the sear from coming out, you will have one heck of a time getting them back together!! Believe me,,,,I KNOW !!

I also wondered if a stronger striker spring would work but then you might run into a DA pull that would make a gorilla grunt!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and have a Happy 2008!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts