Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus....Got problems?

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  darwin-t 
#1 ·
I recently got rid of my fist ever pistol, the PT-140. I was told by 2 cops and a friend not to get one but I thought, I'm sure they have to be good or they wouldn't be selling. I thought they were anti-Taurus snobbs. Once I got it, it would jam FTE, and FTF (nosedive) at least two rounds per magazine. I keep it for 5 years and never found a way to fix the failure rate. I polished the feed ramp, tried diffrent kinds of ammo, got a new magazine. I was even told by the shop that sold it to me that I was holding it wrong. I needed to hold down the muzzel with my force so that the round could properly feed. Anyway, I was very disapointed with the answers I got from Taurus who told me that "They had not heard anything about any problems with their pistols." I told them I would send them a link to a forum of people who were having the same problems and they told me to send it to "info@taurususa.com". The email was FAKE! Anyway, here is the link just incase anyone is having the same problems. The discussion continues to this very day. Good luck with your Taurus. I personally will never own one again.
http://www.tacapp.com/?p=53

#4 ·
I work in a Gun Shop. I have Sean everything from Hk to Hi-Point, Sig to Bersa, Perazzi to Mossberg. Nobody makes a perfect Gun. If you don't send it back you can't complain. Some people have trouble with Customer Service, I never have, don't know what to tell you. Stuff happens.

#5 ·
Three Times and one other time just to get magazines replaced. And they don't pay for the shipping. They will send a work order saying fixed but won't say want they did. Never worked. It may have been just the old Mill, but I see alot of problems now with the 24/7 Pro as on the link above. It may be luck of the draw on ability to function. For me, I got the Shit end of the stick.

#6 ·
I have seen too, someone complain about a given gun will work fine until someone else gets it in their hands (this guys wife) and it won't feed properly anymore. I'm not saying that's the case here, but some of the said cases may be related to the way they fire the gun.

#7 ·
I'm not into disparaging someone's experience, but there certainly seems to be a lot of negatives. I am just a bit skeptical about this thread.

#9 ·
Cimarron said:
I am just a bit skeptical about this thread.
+1

My 9mm PT24/7 Pro developed problems recently, but it not reason enough for me to hate the product. I've had more or less 800 rounds of fun with it already. ;D Just like cars, guns have mechanical parts that break...but then you can still have said parts repaired or replaced. That's what the lifetime warranty is for.

Can't wait to have my handgun back...in about a week (as the gun dealer promised). :p

#12 ·
My PT111SSP-12 (DAO) is back at Taurus in Miami, FL. Sent on Friday.

I sent it back for the magazine release issue - same issue about which I've read a couple few accounts. I went ahead and purchased the pistol anyway - it felt too good in my hand at the store (w/out dryfire) - and who thinks the same bad experiences they read on the errornet will really happen to them??? ;)

Lesson learned.

Unfortunately, the spring tension went from normal to barely holding the magazine in place at about the 200rnd mark. I put about 400 more rounds through the pistol before getting fed up with the mag release due to losing a full mag in the woods this past deer season.

Thankfully, Gander Mountain has agreed to take care of the shipping costs back to Taurus since I am still with in my 12 month Gander Mountain warranty (purchased in March 2006).

If it wasn't for Gander's warranty, I'd be out about $75 bucks for the cost of shipping overnight to Taurus, and a new magazine to replace the lost mag. Tack that cost on to the $330 + tax/fees I paid for the stainless PT111SSP-12... and, well, I begin to wonder if it was worth purchasing a pistol in the "good value" monetary bracket.

On a more positive note there has not been one failure to feed, failure to eject, or failure to fire.

I've had great success in shooting decent groups with the pistol, and I’m not one of these guys you'll see sqawking about 2" groups at 15yds. So to be able to handle/shoot this pistol more accurately than some of my other pistols was a nice surprise. Though I'm not a fan of the trigger feel, it doesn't seem to affect my ability to shoot well so I suppose my not liking the feel is a non-issue.

A small part failure like this could happen to any brand pistol - so this isn't a "Taurus bash" session -- I'd give the same review to a Glock 26, or HK P2000SK...etc.

I'm just relaying my experience with one Taurus model I've owned, and I feel I can rightfully say the experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. A bad taste - I might add - that is slightly overcome by an unlimited lifetime warranty.

Due to this part failure, and more so due to there being numerous accounts of the same, I'm not sure I would recommend this pistol to a prospective buyer. I might steer them to a few similar models by other manufacturers. I would have to let them know all of the many positive aspects of this pistol, and let them make the decision on whether or not to take the same chance I took last March.

#13 ·
A Lifetime Warranty is just that. A lifetime warranty. Taurus service has been good to me, so I can't complain. Yes, there is the issue of shipping costs. If you buy from a big retailer that will cover the shipping, that's great. But if you buy from a small shop, they may not be willing to cover shipping. However, if you have a good relationship with the small gun shop owner and do business with him, ask if he'll ship it under his name, (at your cost) USPS Priority Mail. The cost of this is usually under $10.00. And an FFL can ship handguns by the US Mail. Non-FFLs can only use common carriers like Fed Ex or UPS. If you use a common carrier, they'll want to charge you for overnight shipping for handguns. When addressing your package, just address it to "Service Dept" and indicate that you are sending "machined parts". That way you can send it at the ground shipping rate, far less than overnight air.
Getting back to the topic at hand, before you send in your gun, ask some forum members who own the same model about your issues or problems you might be having. That's what the board is all about. Chances are someone is out there with the same gun and has experience with it and may be able to walk you through a simple fix without having to send it in.

#14 ·
michaelfm said:
If you use a common carrier, they'll want to charge you for overnight shipping for handguns. When addressing your package, just address it to "Service Dept" and indicate that you are sending "machined parts". That way you can send it at the ground shipping rate, far less than overnight air.
See the below from the BATF website with emphasis added by myself.  No mention of an exemption for "machined parts" - as much as I'd like there to be.

Federal Law said:
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
Maybe the BATF is incorrect?  I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time, nor the last.  But it might not be a good idea to advocate breaking the law to save a few dollars.

Additionally, I ship firearms insured and I'm sure an 'accidental oversight' such as calling a firearm "machined parts" might just void any coverage afforded by the insurance purchased.

#15 ·
Gunner said:
I recently got rid of my fist ever pistol, the PT-140. I was told by 2 cops and a friend not to get one but I thought, I'm sure they have to be good or they wouldn't be selling. I thought they were anti-Taurus snobbs. Once I got it, it would jam FTE, and FTF (nosedive) at least two rounds per magazine. I keep it for 5 years and never found a way to fix the failure rate. I polished the feed ramp, tried diffrent kinds of ammo, got a new magazine. I was even told by the shop that sold it to me that I was holding it wrong. I needed to hold down the muzzel with my force so that the round could properly feed. Anyway, I was very disapointed with the answers I got from Taurus who told me that "They had not heard anything about any problems with their pistols." I told them I would send them a link to a forum of people who were having the same problems and they told me to send it to "info@taurususa.com". The email was FAKE! Anyway, here is the link just incase anyone is having the same problems. The discussion continues to this very day. Good luck with your Taurus. I personally will never own one again.
http://www.tacapp.com/?p=53
Your experience seems to be a unique case. Definitely not the norm. Like others have said, it may be in the way you're operating the gun.

Thanks for sharing. We're glad you could stop by, even just for a short while. :)

#16 ·
Sorry to see him go out on a sour note. Beginners and old shooting vets can make mistakes in how the gun is shot or the care of thereoff. Experience is the best teacher and all of us are always learning. Failure is learning as well. What does not work is cast aside and something new is tried. Have to give things a chance.Oh,well. Live and learn. How many posts at any of the gun forums has been about troubles of some kind and then a solution is presented. Is there any of us who haven't had that happen? That is not a condemnation of a make or model. As others have stated already. These are mechanical tools of a nature and problems will arise in any mechanical contrivance at any time. Throwing away my automobile because it has fuel injector trouble without finding a solution would be the height of folly. Life goes on.

#17 ·
I currently have a Kel Tec P11 and am thinking about buying a Taurus - either a 27/7 Pro or a PT 145.

Kel Tec's warranty support can't be beat. Of course they fix it for free for life and pay return shipping, but if something breaks and you want to fix it yourself, just call them up and they'll send you the pats free. Does Taurus happen to do that,too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.