Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of years ago I inherited a Taurus Gaucho 45lc SAA clone. I love shooting it, have used mainly cowboy loads. I want to make sure the Gaucho will hold up to what I want to try her for. I am interested in carrying it as a woods gun, backup or close range (30yrds) whitetail hunting. I know to stay away from +p ammo in this revolver but am looking for ammo close to 1000fps and 500lbs/ft. I tested the Hornady LeveRevolution 225gr but was not that impressed with power/penetration. I also tried Double Tap 255gr Keith SWC Hard Cast. I liked this load, had a kick and great penetration. Haven't yet tried Buffalo Bore standard pressure loads.

Question is, how will the Gaucho hold up to shooting 255gr hard cast? Has anyone shot 100 or so of these rounds (Double Tap, Hornady LeveRevolution or Buffalo Bore) through the Gaucho?

I've read some people having issue with small parts on the Gaucho, but I've had none so far and don't want to mess up a beautiful gun with some family nostalgia. Thoughts and recommendations welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Sadly, the Gaucho is long out of production and it is to my understanding that they weren't all that popular, so it's unlikely that you'll receive any answers from folks who own one, much less have fired a lot of heavy hardcast bullets through one.

That being said, I'm sure that it's up to the task of firing any Standard Pressure ammo out there with no problem, and I doubt that you'll find yourself in many situations in which you will need to pull the trigger anyway, so its ability to withstand a "steady diet" of heavy hardcast .45LC is likely unnecessary.

If you're worried about it, then I suggest getting yourself a new woods gun that you have no doubt will hold up well to a steady diet of even the hottest .45LC loads, such as the Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC or Super Black Hawk in .454 Casull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, the Gaucho is long out of production and it is to my understanding that they weren't all that popular, so it's unlikely that you'll receive any answers from folks who own one, much less have fired a lot of heavy hardcast bullets through one.

That being said, I'm sure that it's up to the task of firing any Standard Pressure ammo out there with no problem, and I doubt that you'll find yourself in many situations in which you will need to pull the trigger anyway, so its ability to withstand a "steady diet" of heavy hardcast .45LC is likely unnecessary.

If you're worried about it, then I suggest getting yourself a new woods gun that you have no doubt will hold up well to a steady diet of even the hottest .45LC loads, such as the Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC or Super Black Hawk in .454 Casull.

Thanks, I figured as I couldn't find too much on the internet about the Gaucho. I do love shooting it though. I think I'll stick with my gut and your recommendation of sticking within manufacturers limitations. The first person from Taurus I got on the phone was not helpful at all, but the second guy was awesome and did some great research for me. Agreed that a steady diet of hardcast won't be necessary. I'd just like to keep this around awhile and knowing they're hard to find and repair at this point, I thought I'd ask around. I have been looking at large frame revolvers for a while now and just not willing to shell out the money...yet. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I guess I’m a bit late to the party. I brought home a Taurus Gaucho 7.5” SAA in .357Magnum that I just inherited from my dad. It’s never been fired, and I have the original box as well. It’s a very nice looking piece...very similar to my Beretta Stampede, also in .357 Magnum, but slightly shorter barrel. I could always invest in a quality leather pistol belt and holsters and open carry like an old gunslinger. I have the dies and the bullets, so I may as well get some powder and make up my own rounds to fire.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
It is not that the Gaucho was not popular with the CAS, because it was. It was that Taurus never followed up with another production run and Ruger jumped in with their Vaquero before Taurus could react. The Gaucho is a transfer bar single action Colt Peacemaker clone revolver (just like the Vaquero), the first to the market, I believe. It was designed to cater to the CAS crowd and it is a stoutly built revolver, with a forged frame (the Vaquero has a cast frame BTW). The weakest part is probably the cylinder itself and not the frame, since it was designed around cowboy sports target loads.

If you reload, I think you can find a decent load that will perform pretty much as you want. But the pistol is really not meant for that use, it is really set up for target loads and cowboy sports. Might be best to find a Ruger Blackhawk to fill that role.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Bought 2 in 45 colt when they came out. Called Taurus and ask about gun strength. Was quickly told reloads were a no no and gun should only be shot with factory ammo made for the old colt revolvers. Kept them for several years. Loaded cast 200 and 250 grain round nose flat points at colt load pressure mostly. Own Rugers and other 45's and 454's that can handle Ruger only loads. Got rid of both when cleaning out guns that were becoming safe queens. The Gaucho revolvers are good guns for what they were made for. Never had a problem with them but wouldn't run heavy loads in them. A Gaucho in 357 I wouldn't worry about with 357 mag ammo because they were made for it. 45 colt is different animal, do not know how steel in cylinder is rated or heat treated so wouldn't push it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts