Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my new Taurus G3 and my winter carry, Walther PPQ out for some range work this afternoon. After days of rain, washed out roads, and a freeze this morning. The early afternoon was beautiful, so it was time to work out the new G3. Also for my bench review follow this link: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/418455-taurus-g3-tabletop-review.html

P1030589b.jpg
I started with a full mag of Federal eagle 147grn FP, in both the G3 and the PPQ. The G3 grouping wasn't terrible, but the POI was 1-2" to the left. In fact looking at both the PPQ and G3 targets the overall grouping wasn't that dramatically different. But before I adjust the rear sight, it is time to keep on running different loads through the pistol to break it in. I also had to eventually adjust the PPQ sight a bit to the right as well a month ago. So it is more than likely my shooting style, than a POA-POI issue for the G3. So after a few more magazines, I applied an 8" sticky and went to town. The G3 target was at 12 yards and I was firing relatively fast, just enough of a pause to watch the front sight come back to POA. This is a mix of several reloads and the G3 proved itself to be accurate.
P1030590b.jpg
So it was time to back out to 20 yards and continue a pretty quick run of the trigger. Just a quick aside on the G3 trigger. It is sooo much better than recent Taurus poly guns. Quick to hit the wall and easy to find and run the reset for those fast followup shots. The trigger pull is still measuring a consistent 5.5lbs after today's run. So how about the G3's range manners? The Taurus grip stippling is perfect for me. Enough to lock into your grip, but not painful. The sights are ok for a basic 3 dot type of sight. But better sights would be a great upgrade for this platform. The recoil impulse was more controllable than the PPQ, but it does weigh 3 more oz's. I ran over 200 rounds today, and had no soreness in my hand or trigger finger. The magazines fall free quickly, and reloads are similar to most other poly sliders without a dedicated magwell upgrade. Shell ejection was perfect 6-8 feet back and to my right, no hot brass beaning my head or trying to roast any chest hairs.
P1030595.JPG
Here are the types of ammunition I ran through the G3 today. It ran over 200 rounds, with no failures of any kind. As you can see my reloads run a gambit of short and long COL's, powders, weights and can be an issue in some pistols. However the hungry Taurus just kept on eating and ejecting like a champ.
P1030591b.jpg
The G3 did get a little dirty today, but nothing unexpected. Wear patterns on the contact surfaces between the slide and frame are as expected. However after today's session I can say that the Tennifer coating is doing its job. There is very little wear on the slide bottom or internal rails. Not even much wear on the top of the internal slide, where the barrel shroud rubs against it. If the external coating is as tough as the internal coating, this pistol should age quite well.
P1030584b.jpg
I know I may be sounding like a Taurus shill, but if you read my reviews, you know I will complain about Taurus failings. I don't hide short comings on any pistol I review. In fact it is time now to bring up my only complaint/concern I have with this pistol. During re-assemble the slide hangs on assembly about an inch from battery. I found if you wiggle the slide slightly side to side it reassembles fine. I assume this will get easier as the pistol breaks in. So here we go with the subjective star ratings.

Ergo's and grip comfort - ****
Accuracy - ****
Reliability - *****
Sights - ***
Value - *****
For an overall rating of 4.2 stars.

The Taurus G3 is an excellent pistol and provides a feature rich platform at a very reasonable cost. I appreciate you took the time to read my review of the Taurus G3 today. Obviously I still need to run a few hundred more rounds through it before I can add to my carry rotation. But it will serve that mission well, if the reliability continues to be acceptable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on the new gun, just out of curiosity...where did you find out that they're using Tennifer? Their customer support told me it's not public information that can be shared as to what coating they actually use.

·
8,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new gun, just out of curiosity...where did you find out that they're using Tennifer? Their customer support told me it's not public information that can be shared as to what coating they actually use.
Page 15 of the owners manual:
P1030605b.jpg
Also I just went over 500 rounds of reloads, factory brass, steel and aluminum case with 0 issues. This is fast becoming one of my favorite shooters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your write-up. I have both of these pistols too. The Walther LOOKS like it should fit the hand better for improved accuracy perhaps, and its design SHOULD reduce felt recoil. In my experience neither one of these perceived benefits was realized. The Taurus fits my hand more comfortably and has less perceived recoil. In consequence, I am able to get slightly better accuracy with the Taurus. I still think the Walther is a pretty gun, and I still practice with it, but the favorite is still the Taurus.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Taurus knocked it out of the park again with this model. I am going to purchase one soon

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Very Good review! :cool: I'm reading and watching a of good reviews about the G3! :smile:
I'm also a fan of the Walther PPQ M2, though I don't have one..........yet. ;)

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just ran first 250 through my new G3, today, and it went perfectly. 115 grain FMJ, and a few 115 grain JHP mixed in random places to mess with it just a touch.

His range review is better than mine, and is about what I'd have said. Of course, I also cleaned and lubed mine before taking it out.

Trigger is, as said, immensely better on the G3. Sights, I really don't mind them, just glad the rear is a solid polymer and not adjustable deal this time.

Better pics, too. ;) Solid gun, and mine is already in rotation now. G2C needs a rest from her EDC job, here and there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine isn't that accurate, but the trigger pull is like 2.5lbs I kid you not.... You just pull and pull, long pull but hardly any resistance. I am interested in the SS model when ever it comes out..

·
8,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does any part of the trigger assy swap betwEEn the G3 and G2c ?
I wish!!!! but from what I have seen in both my trigger groups, there are some basic differences. The trigger shoe from the G3 just doesn;t look like it will fit.

·
Vendor
140 Posts
Does any part of the trigger assy swap betwEEn the G3 and G2c ?
The internals of the guns are the same, the trigger bar on the G3 is a repurposed G2C unit, you can see where they ground off the tab that the terrible trigger safety from the G2C hooked over.

If you had some overwheming desire to do so you could take a G2C trigger and trigger bar and put them in a G3 and everything would work, including the G2C style trigger safety. However, the G2C frame cannot take the G3 trigger without modification, you would have to cut down the area behind the trigger then add two vertical slits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thorough and accurate review. I own a G3 and I'm really satisfied with it. However, I always liked Walther PPQ. Maybe I will buy one in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts