Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Taurus is stepping up their game by responding to the demand for firearms with nicer fit and finish, albeit for a premium price.

Taurus Executive Grade

Basically, it's Taurus' answer to the Smith & Wesson Performance Center. So far, they're only offering one gun, the Model 865 in an Executive Grade configuration, but there will be more to come in the future.

Personally, I would like to see Executive Grade models of the M44 for a half-lug barrel, as well as the Model 4510 Judge with a nice satin finish, coke-bottle wood grips, and some nicer markings than that comic-sans looking laser-etched "THE JUDGE" on the barrel.

Registered
Guns? What guns?
Agreed. For me it's DA-No.
Now if they make an Executive in the 327 chambering with a 3"-barrel, give it a durable, rich black finish of some sort and the walnut grips...GAME ON!!
3" 605, high polished SS, a real man's hammer, walnut, and generous engraving (real engraving, not the laser crap). THEN they can call it "Executive Grade" without sounding like a bunch of morons.

Registered
It looks like Taurus is stepping up their game by responding to the demand for firearms with nicer fit and finish, albeit for a premium price.

Taurus Executive Grade

Basically, it's Taurus' answer to the Smith & Wesson Performance Center. So far, they're only offering one gun, the Model 865 in an Executive Grade configuration, but there will be more to come in the future.

Personally, I would like to see Executive Grade models of the M44 for a half-lug barrel, as well as the Model 4510 Judge with a nice satin finish, coke-bottle wood grips, and some nicer markings than that comic-sans looking laser-etched "THE JUDGE" on the barrel.

Years ago I seen a GP100 3 inch that was modded exactly like this.
hammer machined off , trigger job, upgraded grips.
Was real nice.

Its definitely a legit carry configuration

Registered
DA-only is a hard NO for me. People often quibble about handguns that come in cardboard boxes. This one includes a hard-sided Pelican case. Well at least the cardboard boxes are free. Besides, any new handgun gets cleaned and either put in the safe or a holster, so packaging isn't important. I have no need for another case, but I'm expected to pay for it anyway. The grips are nice, but I'm not quite sure they're the right fit for a tiny framed revolver such as this.

Registered
3" 605, high polished SS, a real man's hammer, walnut, and generous engraving (real engraving, not the laser crap). THEN they can call it "Executive Grade" without sounding like a bunch of morons.
It has a 'real man's hammer' already.

(Insert Johnny Weismuller Tarzan yell here)

Thumb cocking is for those without the hand strength to pull a DA trigger- you know, the old, injured, weak, halt, lame, petite women, little children, etc...

The only thing I'd like to see changed is it needs a round butt instead of a square one. It would be easier to hide.

Maybe the next model can be a medium frame set up the exact same way- but in .357 (6 shot) and .44 Special.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I'm personally not a big fan of DAO nor bobbed hammers, (I'm a DA/SA guy) I don't hate them either, and do understand their appeal for concealed carry pieces.

Sure, I prefer DA/SA with spurred hammers, but that wouldn't stop me from owning an otherwise gorgeous firearm that was DAO or had a bobbed hammer.

Exhibit A:

But then again, I've always been the sort to look more at the big picture rather than focus on otherwise minor aesthetic imperfections, hence why I've often been the odd man out when it comes to discussions of women. A handgun with a bobbed hammer or DAO Triiger is still beautiful to me, just as a beautiful woman with a mole, a big/long nose, or a scar that walks with a slight limp, is still a beautiful woman to me.

Registered
Seems to me that with a name that includes "executive" it would have a little more pizazzzzzz to it. like some nice engraving, better looking grips, ( at least for my eyes ) maybe a little fiber optic sights. For the cylinder chamfering, I have been doing that to all my stainless jobs for over 25 years. It does help some, especially when using speed loaders with shotshells. I really like the case though..(y)

Registered
The fit and grips are nice. Bring back the polished stainless finish of yesteryear (why I have so many in the safe). 3" barrel should be an option and executive grade would be a .44 special to me.I would also cater to a .327 magnum as well. A bobbed (but functional) hammer would be okay as well.

Registered
Looks like the perfect carry gun for the CEO who needs to deep conceal because he has forbidden employees to carry at work.

Registered
So far I see only one "Executive Grade" and that is the 856 in 38+P. I'm not afraid of a DAO hammer and I shoot my revolvers both DA and SA every range session. I replaced springs in my 906 and shoot it mostly DA...

Registered
After thinking about it for awhile I would have much rather seen something like an option list. Finish, porting (on guns it's offered on), hammer, grips and maybe sights. Pick what you want ro be added or removed from existing models. I'd pay more and wait a reasonable amount to get the exact gun I want from the factory.

Registered
I don't think I'd feel the need for a gussied up Taurus. Also there are a lot of contradictory features on that gun. The bobbed hammer screams concealed carry. the giant, target style grip works against concealed carry.

Registered
After thinking about it for awhile I would have much rather seen something like an option list. Finish, porting (on guns it's offered on), hammer, grips and maybe sights. Pick what you want ro be added or removed from existing models. I'd pay more and wait a reasonable amount to get the exact gun I want from the factory.
Please, no ports!

Or, at least make them available without the stupid things.

Range gun? Yeah.

Hunting or target gun? Sure.

But not on a carry gun.

Those of us that have been trained to shoot from a retention position (as in tucked tight in on the torso at chest or diaphragm level) know ports means taking a face full of fireball and hot gases.

I'm happy with having eyebrows and my beard doesn't need that much trimming, thank you very much.

Ports on a carry gun is a deal killer. Taurus' obsession with putting ports on revolvers is the reason that I don't own a Tracker.

Registered
DAO is a definite no for me. I guess they thought the hammer would get caught up in the executive's tie or something?

It kind of reminds me of Taurus trying to copy a Ruger, but I think that's mainly due to the square grip.

Registered
DAO is a definite no for me. I guess they thought the hammer would get caught up in the executive's tie or something?

It kind of reminds me of Taurus trying to copy a Ruger, but I think that's mainly due to the square grip.
Folks- and companies- have been bobbing hammers like that for over 100 years. It's set up as a carry gun- slick, smooth and snagless for the draw.

I wish they'd made it with a skinny, serrated or checkered trigger, though.

The one that's on it- nice and wide (with the little extension wings on both sides) and smooth- is great for single action and target shooting. For DAO work, you need to get more finger on the trigger to increase the leverage for the longer, heavier trigger stroke and a thinner trigger makes it easier to do so.

Reactions: WellArmed

Registered
Please, no ports!

Or, at least make them available without the stupid things.
Agree completely with them being optional. Removing the ports would be so simple on guns that currently have them. It seems like a no brainer option to me.

I wish they'd made it with a skinny, serrated or checkered trigger, though.

The one that's on it- nice and wide (with the little extension wings on both sides) and smooth- is great for single action and target shooting. For DAO work, you need to get more finger on the trigger to increase the leverage for the longer, heavier trigger stroke and a thinner trigger makes it easier to do so.
Skinny maybe but I want my trigger to be smooth. I am not a fan of serrated or checkered triggers on anything.

My ideal Taurus general purpose revolver would be a 4" stainless tracker with no ports. I'd actually like the same thing in .45 Colt too. Lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts