Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through my American Rifleman and I noticed not just ads but new firearms notices for a Taurus Commander (actual name) 1911 (4.2" barrel with a full size grip) and the Officer (actual name) 1911 (3.5" barrel with a shortened grip), including a picture of the Officer on page 86.

I even see them listed online by Taurususa.com as "available":
https://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=COM

Although I could find nothing that says whether the frames are steel or aluminium, the weights listed, 38 oz. for the Commander and 34.5 oz. for the Officer, would indicate steel. So I am still a little disappointed. Frames need to be aluminium for concealed carry IMO.

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
yep, I think the aluminum framed PT1911 are a thing of the past, much like the titanium pistols.
I have plenty of alloy framed commander and officers already anyway so they didn't lose a sale on me anyhow.
I must admit they are nice for carry, being very light and flat and mine are super good shooters as well.
about all I am interested in at this point in a 1911 would be a commander, alloy frame in 38 Super anyhow.
I will end up with the Dan Wesson Guardian I imagine, unless Ruger gets creative before long.

Reactions: oso and FreeInAZ

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My biggest issue with the Taurus PT1911 Commander and Officer models is that they only come in their terrible "Matte Black" finish, that alone is enough of a reason to immediately pass on them.

Where's the Stainless Steel option?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think these are all .45 Auto, but .38 Super would be good too and tremendously better than a 9mm.

The alloy frame would be a requirement for me in either pistol.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
8,983 Posts
Like the Spectrum, I bet it will be another year before any of them make it on the shelves. I will still hold out for a stainless - so my chance of getting one of the new 1911's will probably never happen.

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
My biggest issue with the Taurus PT1911 Commander and Officer models is that they only come in their terrible "Matte Black" finish, that alone is enough of a reason to immediately pass on them.

Where's the Stainless Steel option?
MY BAD!
I should have posted a picture in my other post!
Alloy framed Officers model in 45 acp-- weight 24 ounces unloaded.
uhh was this what you meant???

Attachments

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
I think these are all .45 Auto, but .38 Super would be good too and tremendously better than a 9mm.

The alloy frame would be a requirement for me in either pistol.

yea, but not nearly as popular caliber as the 45 or 9 MM though as you know.
in my mind a very superior caliber especially in a short barreled carry gun and recoil is much tamer than a 45 acp in the same sized weapons although energy is significantly higher.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
Baby steps. I'll stick up for Taurus here. Let's let them walk before expecting them to run
agreed!
the problem that I see is that Rock island, Citadel, Metro, SAM and others have already gotten up from crawling years ago and began running toward the economy market 1911 compact size quite some time back.
my opinion thy need to step up the efford like offering trit sights standard, 3 magazines, to make them more appealing.
Kind of like coming out with a new AR-15 in 2017-2018-- kind of late to the party.

Reactions: rollin thunder

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just know that their weight makes them unfit for any of my CC needs.

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
well for me personally there is quite a noticeable difference in carrying a alloy frame commander and a steel framed one, same with the officers size.
I lean to carry my Para alloy Commander likely more than any of my 1911's.
good capacity (always have a extra mag with me) and good flat size, and light weight.
course I carry my alloy CZ way more than anything.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I agree that is just too heavy for commander and officer models, they as much as other manufacturers government models. I will stick with my Colt Defender, lightweight alloy frame and so easy to carry. dale cell 6-2-17 1258.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
The perfect combination would be a Light Weight Officers frame with a 4 inch barrel, now the question is IS Taurus (cough) smart enough to listen.

The one out there now that I think is the best deal is the Ruger Light Weight Commander with the titanium insert built into the ramp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts