Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with customer service and this is the info on back orders of the 709 magazines. Taurus only receives shipments at the end of the month and sends out back orders the first week of the next month. If the magazines are not in the shipment then it will be another month before they "might" come in. Lousy customer service. Well don't expect that to change anytime soon. No matter how excellent a weapon may be if you can't get magazines the weapons reputation and the companies reputation suffers.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The 709 magazine shortage has been going on for a long time.

Did if you look at mag prices and availability before you committed to the gun purchase?

There are probably a dozen threads on TA alone on the topic.

I bought a 709 in 02/12 many of the pocket 9s were hot items. Mags were available and prices were decent.

Reactions: Silverplan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same with the 740. I understand a temporary shortage but, come on, what is Taurus thinking?
I have one good mag and one that gives me FTF's. It's a shame: I really like the pistol and the cartridge.

I'm really thinking of trading the 740 and getting a S&W Shield 40.

Reactions: Blindfinger

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
If you want a hard to get magazine that badly then be prepared to pay for it. They are always on eBay for a pretty penny. And its not customer services fault. If Brazil doesn't send them then there's nothing customer service can do. A better alternative in my opinion would be for Taurus to start producing them in the states or at least lease it out to another magazine manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't seem to have that problem.

My M605 doesn't use 709 magazines.

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was new to the Taurus firearms brand. Didn't know about this site. The weapon felt good when I picked it up and price was good too. Now I know why. It also had the features I was looking for manual safety and trigger safety. On line it said it came with two magazines. Later when I picked it up at the dealer I found they only included one and never changed the website. I called customer service and they made it right. You can't blame Brazil for that. If you pushed the Brazilian headquarters to do something about the shortage it would be taken care of. That is a customer service's job isn't it? As far as after market magazines again Taurus here in the states should have done that long ago. This is a Taurus mistake not the mistake of the buyer. To put it on the shoulders of the buyers is making excuses for Taurus. After all the buyers don't make the magazines or have the ability to order directly from Brazil.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In May of last year I mailed a letter to Mark Kresser explaining that I was pleased with both of my Taurus handguns, but disappointed in the lack of availability of magazines for the popular PT 709.

Long story short--- soon thereafter I got a package that contained some Taurus literature, a cap and t-shirt, a letter from Mark, and two magazines. He thanked me for the letter, and apologized for the problem, said he would look into it. He said he arranged to have two magazines that he retrieved from his personal gun safe sent to me.

I offered to pay for them or make a contribution to a charity of his choice, but he refused. In April of this year when the NRA was here in Indianapolis I was able to meet and talk with Mark at the Taurus booth. I think it's too bad that he's now gone, but hopefully the bosses at Taurus know what they're doing.

Now more than a year later it seems that there's no improvement in the availability of these magazines. It's more and more apparent that the problem is at the parent company, and they certainly need to be more responsive to their customer's needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Taurus 709 & 740 Magazine Availability Problem Still Unsolved!

I am thankful for a site that will allow the frustrations of it's members to be posted about the product it represents. It is the responsibility of the members to understand that the negative posts do not project the true value of the Taurus product. The problem comments far out weigh the positive, as this is a place we all come to seek help for our problems and not necessarily to give kudos to the product.

That being said, I purchased the Taurus 709 Slim approximately 1 year ago. This pistol was absolutely perfect for everyday carry and I have not changed my mind about the 709 as I have 300 rounds through it without one hiccup. I, as many before me have stated made the mistake of failing to dig deep enough in my research to discover that a firearm that is so popular would not have magazines readily available from the company that manufactured it. Maybe I am wrong about the popularity of the Taurus 709 & 740. I thought they were flying off the shelf! :confused: I can understand that the 709 and 740 caught the company by surprise with it's popularity, thus causing a short period of struggling to stay up with parts......but this is ridiculous. I now have 3 magazines for my 709 but still face the problem of finding a magazine for my pistol that costs less than $70. Taurus has had more than enough time to remedy this problem. I have lost faith that this problem is actually going to change as Taurus customer service cannot tell me what the problem is. It would be nice to here from Taurus.....WHY!! Why have they not found an answer to this problem after years. OK, the product comes from Brazil......well that doesn't seem to slow down the availability of the pistol here in the U.S. Surely, the folks at Taurus understand how this type of issue can damage the reputation of the entire company and negatively effect their overall revenues here in the U.S. :eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same with the 740. I understand a temporary shortage but, come on, what is Taurus thinking?
I have one good mag and one that gives me FTF's. It's a shame: I really like the pistol and the cartridge.

I'm really thinking of trading the 740 and getting a S&W Shield 40.
I am having the same thoughts. I decided on the 709 over the S&W Shield as it just fit better for me. I checked the availability of magazines for the Shield and they are plentiful at a good price.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
If you want a hard to get magazine that badly then be prepared to pay for it. They are always on eBay for a pretty penny. And its not customer services fault. If Brazil doesn't send them then there's nothing customer service can do. A better alternative in my opinion would be for Taurus to start producing them in the states or at least lease it out to another magazine manufacturer.
I agree about making or leasing them out here in the states. I often check for them in big box stores and see every other mag but taurus which is frustrating. They make very good guns but people think twice about buying them since there are no mags.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Now understand that I do own several Taurus weapons, all semi autoes, so this is simply Fact, Real world and my feelings!
Well to feed my addiction I had the need for a new Fix, figured I would look into a new carry pistol.
Did a bit of looking and research an began to try to find a CZ P01, not exactly on every gun counter shelf.
The weapon came with TWO (2) magazines, after buying it I went to the CZ sight and could have ordered as many magazines as I wanted for it, but instead went to Mec Gar web sight and picked up TWO (2) more additional magazines at about 23 bucks each.
By the way I could also have bought several different hammers, triggers, springs , disconnectors , ect from the gun as well from the CZ site.
Now of course I understand that a gun being a foreign manufacture may cause a part issue, No wait a minute the CZ is a Czech made weapon, so that apparently doesn't make a difference after all?
Honestly with the Taurus parts deal, lack of magazines right now I don't even consider any Taurus product, perhaps that will change but for now I don't need the headache.

Reactions: skimp and oso

·
22,844 Posts
I'd love to own a 709 or 740. But the magazine issue does give me pause. Hope they can get this fixed. The Taurus Slim series fits my hand much better than any competitor I'd consider, but being one mag mishap away from a useless weapon isn't acceptable.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Now understand that I do own several Taurus weapons, all semi autoes, so this is simply Fact, Real world and my feelings!
Well to feed my addiction I had the need for a new Fix, figured I would look into a new carry pistol.
Did a bit of looking and research an began to try to find a CZ P01, not exactly on every gun counter shelf.
The weapon came with TWO (2) magazines, after buying it I went to the CZ sight and could have ordered as many magazines as I wanted for it, but instead went to Mec Gar web sight and picked up TWO (2) more additional magazines at about 23 bucks each.
By the way I could also have bought several different hammers, triggers, springs , disconnectors , ect from the gun as well from the CZ site.
Now of course I understand that a gun being a foreign manufacture may cause a part issue, No wait a minute the CZ is a Czech made weapon, so that apparently doesn't make a difference after all?
Honestly with the Taurus parts deal, lack of magazines right now I don't even consider any Taurus product, perhaps that will change but for now I don't need the headache.

I couldn't agree more, I Won't even consider a Taurus product right now either. If things change in the future then I may consider.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's really the shame of it, isn't it? Owners usually have great regard for the pistol (I know I do !) but, this mag issue is drawing me away from Taurus. I mean, I'm a Taurus fan, I own 4!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I really wish Taurus in Brazil would see how Taurus USA operates and would shift more production here. Seems like the parent company IS the problem! They need to up their CS, some other companies blow them away. I had to send an M&P 22LR Pistol back for repair (frame in front of the hammer cracked) have owned it for a little over a year. Called S&W CS sent a shipping label (on their dime!), repaired it and shipped it back in TWO WEEKS! ON THEIR DIME AGAIN! No questions asked, PERIOD! Blew me away! Taurus CS asks a few dozen questions, takes forever, and won't even ship it free after 6 months? Still waiting on a TCP magazine they were going to send.......months ago!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts