Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if a Beretta 92 grip screw works in a Taurus PT-92/99? I saw a very old post that said they were "basically the same" elsewhere, but that doesn't sound very definitive to me. Can somebody who has both do a quick check? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I helped with the compatibility chart, http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3839.0 ,and since the grips aren't interchangeable i wouldn't think the the grip screws are either.

If i remember correctly they are the wrong length, thread pitch, or different head styles or possibly in different locations. I don't have the proper gunsmith screw driver to take the grips off my preshis Italian 92 Steel-I and 90-Two without boogering up the screws.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely different locations on the top one due to the decocker movement on the Taurus. Somebody who posted on firingline years ago said they "basically" were the same, except the screw goes into a bushing on the Taurus. If the were always the same, it wouldn't be a big deal to relocate the bushing on the frame and keep the same screw when Taurus went to the decocker system.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
funny thing i never really paid any attention..

it's to late tonight but i'll post pictures tomorrow.

basically no.. they might have been the same at one time, in fact it's almost certain when taurus first bought the plant and started producing early models that they was the same..

but the two guns i own a 1994 italian beretta and my taurus is new production.. i believe late 2006 or early 2007 they are not compatible.

with the possible exception being the top left grip screw on the taurus.. i say possible cause i did not physically check but they look about the same.

the beretta has 4 bushings, one for each screw, the taurus on the other hand only has 1 bushing.. dont ask me why.

only the top left grip screw has a bushing on the taurus, the screw looks to be aprox the same size.. the other 3 screws are larger in diameter, they screw directly into the aluminum frame..

take extra caution when screwing in the screws on the taurus because it would be easy to drive it in crooked into the frame and cross thread one of them, also dont over tighten although probably not likely being that aluminum is a rather soft metal you could strip it out.. and unlike the beretta where you could change the bushings it would be a real mess and pia to deal with stripped out threads on the taurus.

as for the grips.. well of course you have the slot the frame safety/decocker on the taurus..

the right panel will actually work.. i'll post a picture tomorrow of my beretta sporting a taurus panel, on the left however the grip screw is up higher then on the taurus so there is no way to attach it without modifying the grip panel..

so it looks like both grips and screws are incompatible.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok so noticed something else today as well.. actually not even a right panel will work because the grips cover up part of the mag release button.

also i mixed up on my last post it is actually the beretta that the left panel has the top screw up higher, the taurus is in the same spot on both it's panels.

heres some pictures, sorry i think it was cause i had fill flash on the pictures actually ended up with some pinkish to them and i did'nt notice till i got them on the computer and did'nt feel like reshooting them or adjusting the color by hand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everybody, thanks for all the good info so far...especially joe sixpack. Please keep in mind that I am only asking about the grip screws and not the grips...so that might save some trouble for those of you doing homework on my behalf. Again, the question is, would Beretta 92 slotted grip screws work on my (very old) Taurus 99.

Here is some info on my Taurus:
It is a non-decocker and was purchased used in 1994 before my 1991 decocker...so it is likely a late 80s model. It has plain, tiny text on the slide that looks like this: "TAURUS PT 99 AF 9mm para" followed by a faint Taurus seal impression. Serial is L 34xxx for those of you who know if this translates to a born on date.

So, it is an old Taurus--it has 4 bushings (although I cannot tell if they are part of the frame or very tightly screwed into the frame). On the right panel (right as you point the gun away from you in your right hand), the upper screw is way up near the safety and slide release.

Here is a pic of the current Taurus screw (all four of my screws use bushings and look like this)--very thin head (almost flat, just a slight dome to the top side) and the shaft comes out straight with approximately six threads. The shaft ends in a flat surface with a very tiny "nipple" in the exact center.

In light of these differences compared to the late model Tauri...I am thinking maybe my Taurus is so old that the grip screws are basically Beretta grip screws. Just wanted some sort of confirmation. Anybody have an equivalent pic of their Beretta screws for comparison?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Dabull, look at the pictures above in two of them you can see a screw i laid on the frame.

the screws look very similar, since my taurus is new production either 2006/2007 w/rail i have no idea of knowing when the screw change happened.. perhaps someone without the rail but with decocker could check..

i figure the change must have happened either as the rail was added, or after the decocker was added.

either way although they look similar to me i can't say with certainty that they are the same.

i know you was not interested in grips but since i was already messing with them i thought i would illustrate the difference for everyone else who might one day ask i can show them these pictures.

im keeping a compatibility list of taurus/beretta parts, it's not easy especially since it seems taurus has made a lot of changes no only from the original design but from there OWN line as well.
if you find any problems with the list please speak up as i can't do it alone.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3839.0

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I have a late 80s non-decock and an early 90s decock, let's do a little comparison with your mid-90s Beretta

First your Beretta:
joe sixpack said:
Now my 80s non-decock:

Now my 90s decock:

My 80s and 90s screws are interchangeable.

Your Beretta screws look a lot like my Taurus screws, except yours taper without threads at the end where mine do not and have threads all the way to the end. I think they might work in my Taurus...might buy some and give it a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts