Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Has anyone used their Millennium Pro PT145 (or any Taurus Auto for that matter) in a shooting course? I ask, cuz on the High Road, I've had a couple of instructors tell me that their students who have had Taurus Automatics in their course usually switch weapons mid-way due to various failures of the weapon. When I asked specifics, e.g., what particular weapon, weapon generation, etc., I was not given satisfactory answers. Pisses me off. When I assured these instructors of my own weapon reliability, they retorted with, "Well, yes the Taurus autos are just fine for range use, however, hard usage in tactical course work have reflected numerous stoppages and function failures in their experience". So...I want to know: Has anybody taken their autos to these "hard usage" shooting courses...competition course...whatever trial by fire course there is out there? Can you tell me your results/reflections? Me...I've just shot them at the range. My weapon goes bang every time I fire it. Oh, I admit, that it does not like hard primered rounds and I have had occassional light stirkes. That was easy to resolve...I just found ammo it likes. I have never had a FTE or FTF. Why would their be any difference between casual range firing and course work...aside from operator pressure/error? I'm tired of people huffing and puffing on various forums on how their particular auto can go 600 rounds before cleaning. Whats up with that? I mean, even in the military, we never expected any weapon, let alone a pistol, would go 24 hours without a cleaning. I personally don't fire more than 50 rounds at a time on the range...I clean, lubricate and grease the gun with each outing. Why wouldn't someone do that with their weapon? Do these instructors actually believe that I will encounter a bad guy or guys and expend 600 rounds in my self defense? Feedback ....anybody?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A huge number of people are biased against Taurus and for no honest reason. Few have ever had an personal experience handling or shooting anything Taurus makes, but they have no trouble repeating what they have heard or read from someone who heard or read something... (endless loop).

I have used my 24/7, PT145. PT92 on many courses, with out any kind of problem. I have heard some of the same comments and odd looks from staff and other shooters that you have and will deal with. And even after I rub their noses in it with the end scores they still give me the same looks and comments. Get use to it ;)

Be proud of what you have and accept that you will get "The Attitude" from other non-Taurus people...

·
32,481 Posts
I agree with DRAEGER.

There is one nagging question. How do we know or you that these guy's credentials as instructors are for real? There are a lot of wannabe types out there. And a lot of the so called experts are anything but that. Might be these guys are not what they seem to be.

We've had similar experiences here and at the old Taurus site with trolls and bashers claiming to have impeccable credentials. This proved false. Usually during their writing things slipped out or gave things away. When normal bashing doesn't work the closet commandos come out of the woodwork who claim to be instructors and use that to nigrate the brand. Happens at the forums every few months. This isn't just Taurus that gets jumped on by the pseudo pros. Other brands get raked over the coals the same way. The lack of proof as asked by you for details just proves these guys are not for real.

The various magazines, soft covered tactical books, and periodicals in the last several years have had documented torture tests where a thousand or more rounds were fired through Taurus Mil/pro pistols and functioned flawlessly. So I do not see a problem.

While mine is a PT111 Mil/Pro, it has been through IDPA matches several weeks in a row and worked well.

And the pretenders to the throne figure if they keep it up long enough, others will take their word as gospel, or get a rise out of Taurus owners by baiting them.

There are ways to challange them successfully. You have by the lack of detail provided by them. This can be brought out in a rebuttal.

Some of the "instructors" may be in fact the real thing. What DRAEGER points out would be true for those folk in that case.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I am almost at 10,000 rounds through my 24/7 Pro .45 and it is also my carry weapon. I have not had any problems what so ever with the pistol, I have shot about 6000 reloads and about 3500 store bought stuff including Blazer Brass Remington and WWB. I have also run about 500 rounds of +P through it. I would say I have run accross 15 or so rounds with hard primers but with the 24/7 all I have to do is pull the trigger again and BANG! I have only come accross one round out of the reloads that did not go off on the 2nd strick so I tried it in my PT1911 and it still did not go bang so I will assume it was a dud round. All in all this is the best pistol I have ever owned and I have owned GLOCKS, Smiths, Colts, Berettas,Rugers and a few others. I decided awile back to sell/trade off some of my pistols to narrow down my collection and when the dust settled The GLOCK, Beretta and Colts were gone and I am left with 9 Taurus pistols, one 10 year old Sigma 9mm a Beretta NEOS .22 and the Ruger P90. I do plan on buying 2 more pistols over the next year and guess what they are both Taurus. I want the stainless PT1911 and the 24/7 OSS ;-)

Not sure if thats what you wanted to know but I posted that on another site when someone asked about long term reliability ;)

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
I've regularly shot my Taurus PT92 in IPSC matches, some of which needed some 380 rounds in that day, without any malfunctions. One other of our Club's Members used his PT945 for the same courses. Personally, I would not hesitate or worry about using a Taurus Pistol for any Shooting Course.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent responses. Thanks...

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only Taurus autos I've ever had experience with is the PT-92/99 models. I've had 5 of them over the last 2 decades or so of shooting. From the earlier ones without the decocker to my lates one with a rail. All of them have fucntioned very well without any malfunctions I can ever recall actually, from god know how many thousands of 9mm reloads and factory fodder I can recall anything other than a squib load that was my fault. In fact, My brother still has that 1st PT-99 I got and learned to shoot autos with back in 1994 or so and I got that booger used too! Also, I will say that after having 5 of them, I have notices the slide to rail fit has tightened up a bit from the first couple I had of the pre-decocker days.
I'm probably going to get a 24/7 of some sort this year just cuz I really like the design and comments from those who've owned one. Probably an OSS model I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a PT145 Mil Pro that I really want to be my carry weapon. After reading a lot of the bad press about the gun, I decided heck with the naysayers and I bought one. I've had it for about a month and after about a couple of hundred rounds I started to get FT'Feeds. Now I'm getting about 4-5 per box (50), which is way too many for a carry gun. It happens w/ both mags, so I don't think that's the problem.

I had the first night of my CCW class recently and chose to shoot my Glock 23 rather than my Mil Pro cuz I was worried about it not feeding and me having to take grief from the instructor or anyone else. So far I have about 400 rounds through it. I'm hoping it finds its grove after a couple of hundred more, but if not, I'm going to have to send it back to Taurus and then I will be carrying my G23 until the Mil Pro returns.

Not sure if that helped or not.

·
32,481 Posts
There are a number of threads in the Taurus Semi-auto and gunsmithing section dealing with causes for FTFs and FTE's.

Steelheart, jwc007, and Cimarron have covered this topic of what to look for in case of these problems. Knoledgeable members have also added their expertise to this as well.

There is also info in the FAQ area that can cover this as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts