Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Taurus Autos are most popular with the Ladies? My wife doesn't have a ton of grip strength and has a tough time with most autos, but she would rather not own a revolver (go figure). We have a pt-22 she shoots pretty well, I'd like something in a little bigger cal. that she can handle with some confidence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Millennium Pro in 9mm would be one to look at. They rack pretty easy and the 9mm in that gun isn't all that bad for recoil. The third generation has the bes trigger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
get her a 44.magnum ;) How bout a 24/7 9mm Compact they look nice.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
If you have a local range that rents, take her there to try some out. It'll give you an excuse to try some,too. Even if the rental isn't a Taurus, she'll get a better idea about grips, weight, and recoil, etc.

·
32,789 Posts
Here we go. How does she handle recoil? For the recoil sensitive and lacking strength the revolver in .357 magnum or .38 Special may be the best way to go. Model 66 or something similar perhaps. Easy manual of arms, easy to fit grips to, no slide to rack, easy to shoot and hit with, are all reasons to check. www.cornered cat.com may be of some use as a source of info for a handgun for here. The site is for women, but has a lot of info the guys need to know about the gals as far as firearms go. If semi auto is here choice then there are the models PT132 and 138 in .32ACP and .380ACP respectively. Similar to the PT111 Mil/pro and easy to carry. While both cartridges are not the most powerful, they would give a decent level of protection over the PT22 and the .22lrf cartridge. Low recoil too. If going to 9mm. then the PT911 or the24/7 seem to be decent choices. More heft to steady the gun in the hand and absorb some of the recoil. While the PT111 is a nice pistol ( I have one), the recoil can be considered to be stout compared to the larger guns. Smaller guns usually have harder slides to rack over their bigger brethren. Next problem. What fits her hand and feels right to her as far as balance and grip go? Can she feel comfortable with the sights? Gun stores and ranges are usually pretty good about letting people fondle and try as many different types as possible. Let here try as many types as possible. We do have a number of members who's wives have the PT111Mil/pro and like it. I like it to for the size and it's abilities. The catch is, I have a daughter 4 inches taller than me. With here long fingers and larger hands only the CZ 75BD would fit here. It is a full sized pistol, but that fits her and she blows the center out of larger target's bullseyes at 75 feet. She's practicing to get smaller groups. So some experimentation and experience will help narrow down the field of choices. 9mm. slides on the full size or near full size guns are easier to rack than the PT111 and other small semi-autos. If recoil is not an issue, the 24/7 in .45ACP might be a good pick. The DAO pistols take some getting used to, but experience, practice, and technique can make that a non -issue. Getting used to a DA gun, that reverts to SA for each shot as in normal semi-autos can also take the same consideration. Good luck and keep us posted on developments. This is her choice as this is going to be a handgun she will use. Might be redundant and most people will know this, but needs to be restated. The daughter is buying a revolver as her next purchase even though she owns several semi-autos. This is for all the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the Taurus Mil Pros myself, but we're talking about her!

So, if she likes the Taurus PT-22, she might really like the Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP, as it has the same tip-up barrel feature for loading that first round. Its available in both blue and stainless.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Each person is different and each person will have their likes and dislikes. She should handle a number of different guns, in different formats, and see what she likes. A woman is no different than a man in this regard. Her hand will fit some guns well and will not fit others. Go someplace that has plenty of guns and let her browse and take her time. Once she finds a grip that she likes, then consider what caliber. Each caliber has its own signature recoil (9mm snappy, 40 snappier, 45 push, .380 fairly snappy as well...). You may be surprised that she likes one caliber the best, and it may not be the one that you THOUGHT she would like.

It's her decision, let her make it. And, give her the tools to make that decision the right one. First make sure she has looked over this site... http://www.corneredcat.com/

Then, take her and let her get touchy-feely with them all and find out what she likes. Then, before buying anything, go to the range and rent that gun, or a similar one in the same caliber. Then, get online and read up on the reliability of those particular guns. The following sites are good for that:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/

http://www.thehighroad.org/

And, of course, you can ask your friends here on Taurusarmed.net. Be aware though that although some guns get a bad review, this can be a matter of brand snobbery. Read between the lines on all reviews. Did the poster actually OWN the gun, or is the problem heresay? Did the owner try to correct the problem through cleaning, or did he/she just blow it off as an inferior design?

Either way, for a carry weapon, make sure it:
1) is reliable
2) fits her hands and carry method
3) is of an appropriate caliber for defense.

Once she makes the purchase, put in plenty of range time to get her acquainted with it, and also to make sure that it is 100% reliable. If it is not reliable, send it back to the manufacturer or have a gunsmith look at it.

All of the above is adviseable for ANY person buying a gun, not just a woman. I hope this helps.

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.