Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to be blessed with a lot of musical talent on our forum, guitarists and other instrumentalists.
I'm not one of them, although I played a bass horn in 7th and 8th grade.

Anyhow, I've been around enough musicians to know you will have recordings of some of your favorite pieces and probably a video or two.

So.......Post em!

Reactions: kruizer and kschilk

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Sorry, no video from decades ago. My favorite musical events were marching in parades. My first band instructor was a retired Navy chief and he taught us the fine art of marching. In later years, we had newby instructors that didn't have the instrument playing diversity as that first one, certainly none of them knew anything about the percussion section. As a lead drummer, we'd literally march to our own beat and play it as fast or as slow as we desired. It was hilarious to have the entire band slow-walking down main street, or jogging if we picked up the tempo. If those instructors ever knew what we were doing, they never mentioned it.

Boy would I like to see some video...

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
:unsure:...I would but I'm really gettin' too old to deal with the groupies, record companies banging down my door, endless autograph requests and such that would surely result from any displays of my incredible musical talents.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
:unsure:...I would but I'm really gettin' too old to deal with the groupies, record companies banging down my door, endless autograph requests and such that would surely result from any displays of my incredible musical talents.
That bad huh?

Actually if you could put music in a bucket, I couldn't carry it.

·
17,571 Posts
Ha! I was in the choir at school (because everyone was...small school) and they asked me to just mouth the words. I really was that bad. Then a couple of years later my cello instructor fired me. That was the end of me creating anything musical.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
You left out your modesty. :p

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
That bad huh?

Actually if you could put music in a bucket, I couldn't carry it.
When I don't play my guitar, I sound just like Hendrix when he didn't play his.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I played 1st chair from 4th grade up to almost high school. 1st chair in city wide band 2 years also, but one day the 7th grade band teacher told us we would be doin some marching Saturday I told him I would be busy. Being first chair it was necessary. I told him i knew he would get along fine without me. He said if I didn't march, I was fired. So be it. I came back Monday and he met me at the door and said don't bother coming in you're not staying. I continued playing almost 2 more years then sold the horn. I bought a bike and some fishing gear and my buddy and I took up fishing for a weekend and summer port. I never looked back. John P. Sousa was not my favorite composer.

Oh, duh. I played saxophone. Sorry, I forgot to write it in.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can see this thread is going to turn out like the parade of virgins when I was in high school. One always got sick the day of the parade, and the other one refused to be in the parade by herself.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I've always had a voice that carried. When I was in 1st grade, my church put out a call for school kids for their newly formed childrens choir. Mom drug my older brother and I to the first rehersal. I came home with a note asking mom to keep me at home to "practice". I could only sing off key.

I'm really great at playing the radio, am or fm.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I've done a little bit of everything. Sang in the church choir, learned trumpet in middle school then switched to trombone because that's what my dad played. Picked up guitar, bass, drums and a little bit of piano by myself. Mom helped me with Piano and singing (she was a coloratura). After that it was pretty much roadie sound and light engineering and production stuff. Met some amazing people in the industry and a few I could do without.

·
8,326 Posts
Hmmm.. two pages of posts and no takers yet. I have a few videos, but production quality is well....kinda amateurish. I may lay down a couple of tracks , once I get my right leg back - its still attached but doesn't want to help much.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I played the guitar until arthritis in My hands limited movement and the amount of time I was able to play, also a motorcycle accident at 19 which resulted in severely sprained wrists took a toll on My playing.
I was in a couple of bands in high school but We weren't very good and actually got booed off stage a couple of times.
I think We may have invented grunge but it was a decade too early.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I can see this thread is going to turn out like the parade of virgins when I was in high school. One always got sick the day of the parade, and the other one refused to be in the parade by herself.
I will be surprised if any vids are posted, but we'll see. ........ I was a weekend cover band gigger for 4 or 5 years during and after my college days late 70's early 80's. Always wanted to be in a band. But like many other things, it's a fun and a great hobby until you start getting paid for it. At least IMO. ........ VHS was the new technology back then. I have no vids, and doubt that I would post them if I did. Have quite a few pics, but they won't get posted either. ...... Was mostly the guitarist/vocalist in a 3 piece setup MOST of the time, playing top 40 bar/dance stuff. We worked a lot. ....... Back then, hearing protection was unheard of ........ I have 24/7 tinnitus to prove it

It was a good experience, but it taught me that I would NEVER want to do that for a living. ........ I liken being a musician to being a farm league ball player ....... you can keep chasing the dream, and time goes by. One day you wake up and you are 35 and if you haven't made the big leagues, you have nothing to show for your past 15 years that is of any value to anyone else. And IMO, other than studio work, the trade does not bode well for family life.

Played bass in the church worship team in the 90's, and played bass for the house band one night a week at a cafe a couple miles from my home a few years back, but that is about as close as I wanted to get to it again.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
I deleted this post as I could not get the song to play.
I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I sang in every play (catholic school). I sang at least one silo. It freaked me out in first grade when lady's cry after I sang silent night acapella at the Christmas play.
My music teacher tried to talk my mother into sending me to new York to sing at something or other. I forget.
Then in fourth or fifth grade my music teacher cried and moved me to the back row. I liked to sing and found it easy to follow what ever my teacher asked and was starting to read and sing sheet music quite well. It freaked me out again as having control over my body to hit any note at will to sounding like I just hit the cat. First time I was truly humbled and felt the sting of loss.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
I posted a couple videos in the music section of a band I was in 30 years ago. At one time I had some reel to reel tapes of the first band I was ever in but those deteriorated over time so I pitched them. Here's one I found of a guy I play with about the same time as the other ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts