Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of the members here will remember the old site, TaurusForums.com. It was slow, a bad layout and severaly outdated software. We all used that because it was all that was available. There was not much traffic at all, maybe 5-10 posts a day, mostly because it was unsupported and not very user friendly. It seemed to be somewhat abbandoned as well. There was one moderator who was active, and he only had access to a couple of boards. I don't think he's around here anymore though.

A lack of moderation became known to a host of spammers. Qwiks Draw began to attempt to contact someone in charge. He found out from the sister site RugerForums.com that the previous admin had stiffed a lot of users out of an ammo deal and had since left the site. The contact at RugerForums informed Qwiks that they had plans of upgrading and the current owners of TaurusForums.com were tired of paying the bills on the site without any return and they were getting ready to shut the site down. A week or so rolled on and I decided to bring up a new forum. I had talked to several people that had large forums. The end result was what we have now.

After a weeks worth of research and preperation, this site launched on Jan 9, 2007. The previous owners were willing to sell the database from the old site at a 'very reasonable price', which would include years worth of posts and threads and all the pre-existing users. There was not a single forum software package that would support an upgrade from the version they were using. I never attempted to contact them on a price knowing that all that old data would have been useless. It took a solid 2 days worth of work and an unhappy wife to get the forum setup, looking presentable and running smoothly. Ever since, it's been a work in progress, constantly adding features (many unseen), tweeking, fine tuning, and maintaining the site.

When the site started off, there was an un-advertised option to make a donation. A handful of people did and a HUGE thanks goes to them, they know who they are. Other than that, there have been no other financial contributions to the site up until a couple of weeks ago when NiteSiters decided to sponsor the site. As the only sponsor currently, they are the ones to thank and they are the ones to help support the site as far as the money side goes.

Contrary to what some people think and what some have said, Taurus has no interest in the site. They have no say in what goes on here. As far as I know they haven't even formally recognized the site as being supportive of Taurus. I'm sure knowingly or unknowingly, they have an interest in the site as it's a direct venue dedicated to their products, but their interest in the site stops there. Being the sole owner of the site, I do take it personally when someone makes accusations of the site being run by Taurus, simply because of the time and resources I have tied up in the site.

Ever since the site has opened up, we've always prided ourselves in being the 'friendlier' of the gun forums, but at the same time tactfully not taking to much non-sense. We don't have many rules here, but one we do follow is no chronic bashing, of any brand. That's why the Complaints section was orignally designed. There was an influx of negativity and constaint complaining of such and such, so instead of deleting the posts and upsetting a lot of folks, we moved everything in there to keep the spirit of the forum up and uncluttered from the mostly non-sense from the chronic complaints. That's not to say that complaints aren't welcome here. We are all about trying to help someone fix a problem with thier gun if they are willing to try the suggestions. Otherwise, it's deemed a chronic complaint and dealt with accordingly.

In closing, we will continue to dedicate the site to Taurus guns and owners and hope to remain the friendly forum. Who really wants to be active on a forum that's run by a bunch of power hungry mods and an abusive admin?

I would like to thank everyone for contributing to the site and participating in way that everyone has. It's grown much quicker than any of us (the staff) ever thought it would and really is something that we are all proud of. A couple of the moderators here have been here since the site opened and came from the old site. Only a couple of them joined the site being a moderator, a few original members of the old site became moderators a little later.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I applaud you Mr Flyer and the mod's of this fine forum

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I use "Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet." on all my new member welcomes and I mean it. It is easy to see that everyone and their opinions are welcome be it about guns, politics, whatever. Thanks for creating a great forum.

Reactions: Raptorboy69

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Thank you from Ohio for creating such a great forum.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
As a new member, I am so impressed at the wealth of information available here, and I haven't run across one unfriendly poster in here.
Thanks for the hard work and dedication.

Will

·
Super Moderator
27,310 Posts
AsI have said before, and will say again, THANKS! We really appreciate what you and all the unseen people do. I am a Mod on another site. Sadly not nearly as popular as this one. But it is run by different people.
Question, who is #1?

·
Registered
34,151 Posts
Well Rod, I just looked back through the member list and I can not find a member listed before Flyer. What I would surmise from that, is that Flyer was also the first member but later deleted whatever that member name was. He probably used that original name while developing the forum format that was originally used to launch the site, and then registered as the second member with his now known moniker, Flyer. There is no member in the member list with an earlier registration date than Flyer.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've read this thread before, but didn't notice that Flyer was member #2.

Thanks, Big Skiff, for the research and report you just gave us on this remarkable man.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have been doing research on handguns for over a month in anticipation of buying my first. I want to thank you for the work you have done with this site, the info I got from here had a lot to do with my puchasing a Taurus.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
We all owe a big round of thanks to Flyer for the time and dedication to start this forum and the other administrators and moderators who spend so much of their personal time to make this site what it is. Nothing good happens without a lot of hard work!!!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It has been about two and a half years since I read this thread, but it has been a good reminder for me to be grateful for Flyer and for all who were in on the ground floor of making this great forum what it is today.

And, of course, it goes without saying that they could not have done it without the responsible people since then who have stepped forward, when called upon to do so, to assume the ever growing responsibilities of administrating and moderating a thriving and vibrant Internet forum.

A tip of my proverbial hat to you all!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Job well done guys.. Thanks for caring..

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yessir - glad to see that reflection on the history of the site revisited. It also clarifies how far the site has come since that 2011 post!! Hats off to hard work, cool heads and big hearts!!! ;)

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,289 Posts
Big thanks to flyer and all the mods, for the best forum on the net.

Thanks MPG for bumping this to the top. :thumb:

Reactions: MilProGuy
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.