Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I wouldn't see why not, assuming that the load is a standard pressure 357 magnum. I've never heard of any Over All Length (OAL) issues in 357 unless someone is talking about the scandium Smith J frames and some bullet types.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,370 Posts
Of course. Buffalo Bore makes a good 180 for outdoor use and any Taurus .357 can fire it. It is within SAAMI even though its performance is impressive. The 180 grain stuff is pretty useful for outdoor chores and hunting, gives the .357 a little boost in performance on deer sized game. It's every bit the gun for hunting that any 10mm is, if a little short of a .41 mag.

Now, in a very light revolver, the 180s will recoil like you won't believe! My handload is painful in my 27 ounce SP101. In a 12 ounce gun, I'd seriously worry about the bullets pulling out of the crimp, the thing kicks so hard. This could tie up the gun. I roll crimp mine pretty well, but this is a typical problem with very light weight magnums and the only reason I can see for the 180s not working in any Taurus. Like I say, though, they're not really for self defense, too much penetration. I like 125 to 140 grain loads for self defense, lighter recoil, quicker repeat shots. The 180s are for toothy critters or hunting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so its safe to use, i was wondering because ive seen those buffalo bore 180grainers as blackhawk and similar only. Wasnt really concerned about OAL issues, just recoil or excessive pressure.

thanks

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I just took another look at Buffalo Bore's site to be sure. The Blackhawk and similar only stuff is 45 Colt and some 44 Magnum not 357. Those loads are higher pressure and I'd not recommend them unless you had a gun that you were sure would take it.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,370 Posts
Yeah, the Buffalo Bore stuff is hot. I would limit the use of 'em, but carrying 'em in the woods or hunting with 'em won't kill the gun. The pressures might accelerate wear, though. But, you really don't need that much cartridge. A hot 158 SWC from such as Remington or Winchester will bring down about anything you'd want to bring down with a .357. I've killed two deer with a 158 SWC from my blackhawk and one from my Rossi M92 carbine.

Actually, in my M66s, just as I've done with all my .357s over the years, most of my shooting has been done with .38 special. I use the magnums for carry and fire 'em once in a while, but plink with the milder 38s.

Here's what Buffalo Bore has to say about it. If a J frame will handle 'em, i wouldn't worry about a larger framed gun. I'd still limit their use, but the price will be conducive to the limited use idea. LOL

About Buffalo Bore 357 Mag. ammo

Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver—this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don’t phone us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo.

We don’t recommend this ammo to be fired in super light alloy revolvers as bullets may jump crimp under recoil, but the ammo itself wont hurt these super light weight revolvers. These revolvers are simply so light that the recoil is severe enough to cause crimp jump.

The below velocities are offered so that you can see what guns/barrel lengths give what velocities with this new 357 mag. ammo. You’ll notice that new S&W revolvers with short barrels are often shooting faster than older S&W revolvers with longer barrels. The new S&W revolvers are very good and are made with equipment that makes them more consistent and faster than the S&W revolvers of yesteryear.

Make special note of the Marlin 1894, 18.5 inch barrel velocities. Item 19C/20, supercedes 30-30 energies!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,370 Posts
Yeah, I still wanna get a box to chrono in my Rossi M92 lever carbine 20" barrel. I can't get what they're getting with my reloads. If they live up to claims, I'll keep a box or two around just for the little carbine, be like having a .30-30 carbine out to 100 yards. My handloads are good enough for hunting out to 100 yards, but those thing would work on BIG hogs better I bet, not that I ever hunt much with the little carbine, but it's a neat little rifle and the buffalo bore rounds would really wake it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts