Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they pop up every once in a while, but was curious as to why Taurus isn't represented in more of the action movies coming out of Hollywood. We all know that there are plenty of real life cops/detectives/agents using Taurus handguns, but they don't seem to have the representation of Glock, Sig, and especially Beretta.

I know it seems silly but I wonder that if the company was better represented in the movies (John McClane with a PT911 and Jason Bourne with a Millenium Pro), the annoying guy standing next to you at the gun counter wouldn't be bashing Taurus. He'd be saying, "Those are sweet pistols!"

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Most of the time guns carried by actors who play cops, special forces, solders etc match what the real guys carry to keep the movie accurate. Which turns the question into why don't more of those guys use Taurus...

But I have to say, it's not like they never use them in film; I can think of several movies where saw taurus of the top of my head....

·
Administrator
40,396 Posts
Seems that a lot of people buy the brands you mention, because that's what law enforcement and the military use. Good firearms by the way. So basically, they are just fashionable. And we know just how fashionable Hollywood is. Kinda brings to mind those ridiculous $100 designer jeans with holes torn in the knees. Hollywood made them cool, so lots of folks want 'em. Fashionable. :drool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
There's only one movie I can think of off the top of my head where I know someone was carrying a Taurus. It's "Revolver" starring Jason Statham, Ray Liotta, Vincent Pastore and Andre Benjamin. In one scene Pastore hands Statham a stainless pistol which at first glance appeared to be a Beretta. I went back on the disk and to my surprise saw that it was either a 92 or 100. What first caught my eye was the frame mounted safety then at one point the Taurus logo is clearly visible on the slide. It's a British movie made by Guy Ritchie but it's a decent thriller.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
a few more;

Shoot 'em up - PT92 stainless
WASABI - Raging Bull
Who am I - PT92 stainless
Rush hour 3 - PT911
I haven't seen WASABI or Rush Hour 3 and I'm pretty certain I haven't seen Who am I. I did see Shoot 'em Up, loved it even if it was far fetched, don't recall seeing the 92SS.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I did see Shoot 'em Up, loved it even if it was far fetched, don't recall seeing the 92SS.
do you remember when Clive dropped a gun in a toilet? Well that was a PT92 lol... I thought it was kinda funny that he had to take it apart and blowdry it...of course the gun would still work in real life.

'Who am I' is a '97 film with Jacky Chan (pretty good move actually), where do does the same thing Jet Lee did in Lethal weapon 4 with a Beretta, except Chan lowered the takedown lever on the 92 before handing it over to a bad guy...

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Walker Texas ranger guys PT 92 from the beginning he also carries a large revolver that i have not been able to identify.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I remember that scene. I was so surprised he was going to all that trouble I didn't even try to ID the piece. It was in view so long I'm embarrassed I didn't catch that, truth be told. The only reason I see for putting that scene in is to impress the uninitiated with his ability to field strip and blowdry a pistol before the bad guy got there.

Both Wasabi and Who am I both look good based on what I saw on IMDB. I'll have to look for them. While I am a Jacky Chan fan I'm not all that fond of the comedy stylings of Chris Tucker so I might pass on RH3.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
HR3 is not a bad flik, IMO better than 2 previous once...

btw in one scene of Wasabi Jean Reno (guy from 'the proffesional') fires 7 round thru his Raging Bull without reloading and it was a .454 (5 shot)...lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
Speaking of 7 shots through a revolver, Kevin Bacon does the same towards the end of his "Death Wish" knock off, the one your quote comes from, the title escapes me right now. I watched that one with my wife and son so I didn't get a good look at it, it may have been one of the 7 shot variety.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
The one with Kevin Bacon was that the one with the gang that killed his family. If it was did he die in the end my wife says he did and I was not watching at the time. she said he kind of smiled and died.

And you say the movie wasabi is pretty good, The guy from the professional is a great actor. By the way That was a great movie too.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's a good question 45; on the DVD they had two versions IIRC unrated and theatrical, in the later they cut earlier where he just smiled when that detective told him his son is doing better, the movie ended there. In the Unrated version he did kinda slumped his head down a sec later, I wasn't sure if was due to relief and/or exaustion or because he saw dead...

I rented Wasabi because I knew Raging bull was in it. :D it's OK plus I like Reno...but I it's not as good as the Professional or the Death sentence IMO. It's almost a comedy.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Well he definitely had a vary bad day. That movie showed how much these guys are real animals they don't care about life nor the law and are not afraid to die.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Professional was a great movie, I really liked Reno's character. He played it well and with integrity, even for a mob hitman.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I agree the professional is the best hit man movie out there. Not just action but a good story line.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Was watching Jackie Chan's, Who Am I the other day. I know it's not the newest, but there is a scene, toward the end, with a great closeup of either a 92,or 100, apparently with rosewood grips. Beautiful looking gun. The only disconcerting part, is that Jack removes the slide and barrel with a loaded magazine in place. I'm sure we've all tried that one before, usually not on purpose, but I tried it again, and nope, slide will only move about a quarter inch.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Was watching Jackie Chan's, Who Am I the other day. I know it's not the newest, but there is a scene, toward the end, with a great closeup of either a 92,or 100, apparently with rosewood grips. Beautiful looking gun. The only disconcerting part, is that Jack removes the slide and barrel with a loaded magazine in place. I'm sure we've all tried that one before, usually not on purpose, but I tried it again, and nope, slide will only move about a quarter inch.
I'll have to try it again tonight...not sure if you noticed it or not but they show him lower the take down lever on the gun before he handed it over to the bad guy. Not like in the Jet lee movie where he suppositly did it when he grabed the gun (impossible in real like of cource). But then again the slide wouldn't stay in place after the lever was in down position...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts