Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some serious qualified advice on how to resolve the problem described below. Sending the weapon to Taurus is not an option. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I just purchased a new Taurus 905 (9mm) revolver and I note that the cylinder stop sometimes sticks momentarily in the down position after I close the cylinder. The cylinder will sometimes rotate 2-3 times by hand before the stop engages the cylinder. Also, when the cylinder is open, the stop doesn't seem to have much "spring" to it when I depress it with my thumb. An extremely slight pull on the hammer or wiggle on the trigger will cause the stop to pop back up again.

I cleaned and lubed the weapon prior to shooting about 50rds The problem does not occur at all while shooting, but only after reloading and closing the cylinder and then, not all the time. And yes, I've made sure the cylinder is closed fully and correctly.

The weapon is very accurate and I really like it a lot. But this thing with the cylinder stop has me concerned.

Ideas......suggestions anyone?

Regards,

g19erusa

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm going to assume something first before I give my reply. I will assume you are LE and you chose the 905 as a mirrored caliber backup to your Glock 19. If I'm right, pat me on the back; if not, oh well.

Now---why can't you send it back to Taurus if you are concerned? I have had a Ruger SP101 in .357 which did the same thing every once in a while. But I had over 5,000 rounds through it with no problems or concerns. I just bought a model 817 and sometimes it takes half to a full spin to lock the cylinder. I wouldn't be that worried about it but if you are---send it to Taurus---that's the only way it will be made right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does the cylinder lock into the frame?
After solving a different problem with my snub nose I've discovered how the cyl. stop works. The cylinder stop plunge is what engages the stop. Check out his diagram: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_revolver.pdf

The plunger may be sticking at times and need to be cleaned. #12
If you carefully remove the yoke screw, spring, and pin, #47,#48,#49, the yoke can be removed to access the cyl. stop plunger and spring.

If you decide to attempt this service make sure have the correct size screw driver and you're in a clean area where you can find a VERY part if dropped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your assistance.

The information regarding the cylinder stop plunger was right on point. Saturation oiling did the deed!

g19erusa

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve also had a little problem with my cylinder stop sticking after a reload. It must need a little polishing or something. I have noticed if I just touch the trigger the cylinder stop will engage, as it should.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Nice find of an old thread.

It is possible that a good cleaning of the mechanism, would help. Instructions on how to take off the side plate, are here in the smithing section at the top!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts