Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of Ruger revolvers, both SA & DA, but have a hankering for a new 357 SA. I would like a case colored blued one. I saw a new Taurus ($419) and a Beretta ($600) and must say I was impressed with the finish and they felt like good quality guns while fondling them in the store.

What is the story with them. I have never really seen either mentioned on message boards. Anyone have one? Can I expect a long life out of either? Do they have good reputations?

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Which model Taurus were you looking at?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which model Taurus were you looking at?
I don't know to be honest. I looked at quite a few guns and can't remember to model name. It was a Single Action 357 case colored and they had 2, one with a 5.5" barrel and one with a 4.5/8" barrel.

I didn't even know before today that Taurus (or beretta) made Single Actions

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Look at Uberti or Pietta firearms. Both build nice guns and both make guns sold by companies such as Cimarron. Oh and Uberti is owned by Beretta.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The Taurus single actions were discontinued, do not know why. I bought a pair in 45 caliber that have been extremely accurate and dependable. They were not for sale but may be. After seeing the groups these guns shoot and shooting them a gentleman has made an offer I will probably take. I will also agree that the Uberti guns are worth the money. I own now and have owned several of them over the years. One I own now with both the 45 acp and colt cylinders shoots full cylinder groups with either cylinder that are just one big ragged hole at 25 yards. The gun was a gift and has a special meaning to me. One thing to think about with single action revolvers is how you will carry and shoot it. The old style were carried with and empty chamber under the hammer for safety reasons. The newer guns that have a transfer bar can be carried with a full cylinder because the trigger has to be back for the hammer to hit the firing pin. Both are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have two Taurus Gauchos in .357, I love them. They shoot excellent. I fitted rose wood grips on them, replacing the hard plastic ones. I also honed the actions. Don't be scared to get the Gauchos. I wish they would make them again. Gauchos also have the transfer bar saftey, from the factory. You can make a nice rifle/pistol pair with them if you put them together with a Rossi mod 92 rifle or carbine, in the same caliber. They were available in .357/.38 spec, or .45 colt (long colt). Heres a pic of my Gauchos, with their PT1911 cousin.

I also have a few Ubertis, and Piettas in .357, .44 spec, and .45 colt. Again the quality is excellent.

barracudadave67

Attachments

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I have two Taurus Gauchos in .357, I love them. They shoot excellent. I fitted rose wood grips on them, replacing the hard plastic ones. I also honed the actions. Don't be scared to get the Gauchos. I wish they would make them again. Gauchos also have the transfer bar saftey, from the factory. You can make a nice rifle/pistol pair with them if you put them together with a Rossi mod 92 rifle or carbine, in the same caliber. They were available in .357/.38 spec, or .45 colt (long colt). Heres a pic of my Gauchos, with their PT1911 cousin.

I also have a few Ubertis, and Piettas in .357, .44 spec, and .45 colt. Again the quality is excellent.

barracudadave67
LOVE the look of those Gaucho's! I keep an eye out for them if they come up on GB. They sure are snazzy looking. I love SA revovlers, have several in 22lr and 357 - and am going to go fire a new 45lc one tonight! Thanks for the great picture! All the firearms are great looking!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts