Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Did your ambi safety break on your PT1911's?

• Broke immediately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Came loose

• Broke after a 100 rounds

• Did not break at all

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an informal survey to see the average of ambi safety's breaking or blowing off the PT1911's. To know once and for all if it is really defective from the factory or just a perception created on the internet.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Although I do not own a PT1911, it is far from a perception. Many members here have experienced some type of problem with the right side safety lever. It's a minor issue. (more of an annoyance than anything)

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Mine wasn't a tytpical break, in fact it didn't really break. It was more like it was filed a little much. It would allow the hammer to drop if you squeezed on the trigger enough. The clearance between the sear and the safety block was a little much. I put a new safety in and filed it to fit. Everything works perfectly now.

·
6,541 Posts
If you have that problem, you can take the left side out, and squeeze the tabs together a little with some pliers. That will make the fit tighter, and should help keep taht from happening.

A little goes a long ways though. It will make it that much harder to take out while disassembling as well.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have 2000 rds. through my pt1911 and so far so good except for an extraction problem around 1000 rounds. A slight adjustment and it has been 100% since.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mine has come loose, but I did squeeze it back together with canon plug pliers. Pliers with rubber grips as to not damage the metal you are squeezing.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
i dont have a 1911,but if smoke wagon would send me his new one i will give you all a range report......well how about it smoke?

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
have had mine since Oct.07 1000 rounds and no problems with the safety but minor problems with the mags. still well worth it and I love the gun :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My safety has had no problems after about 1500 rounds. The only annoyance I have except for one weak mag spring is that the extractor works too good! During a couple stages at our last match we started close to the berm and when I finished the RSO said "Wow, that extractor works don't it?" Seems the gun was throwing brass up onto and over the berm! Kind of a pain to pick it up to reload like that...

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Flyer said:
Mine wasn't a tytpical break, in fact it didn't really break. It was more like it was filed a little much. It would allow the hammer to drop if you squeezed on the trigger enough. The clearance between the sear and the safety block was a little much. I put a new safety in and filed it to fit. Everything works perfectly now.
I apologize for my mis-information Flyer.

·
6,541 Posts
Not a problem, I'm sure you have enough problems to keep up with, mine on top of that would be an overload! :p :bang:

·
Administrator
40,388 Posts
rwcreigh said:
i dont have a 1911,but if smoke wagon would send me his new one i will give you all a range report......well how about it smoke?
Dream on buddy. 200 rounds today on steel silouhett and nary a problem one. I think I'll keep it. :guns: :angel:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have had mine since Feb 08 with nearly 2000 rounds with no problems. It was made on a Wed, I hope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too early to say but it looks like only a very very tiny percentage of PT1911 owners ever experiencing the "ambi-safety catastrophe". Is there a grand conspiracy out there to malign our beloved PT1911's or are we all just lucky? hehe!!! :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
No problems here. Comming up on 2000rnds and a lot of practice drawing from a holster and flipping the safety. All done w/unloaded pistol and mags/ammo in another room, checking the chamber twice for emptyness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I talked to Taurus and one guy there ackowledged they had a problem with the safety system on the 1911 and another person I spoke to said they were unaware of the problem. Mine broke and since it was going to cost me more to ship it back to the factory to get it fixed plus the 4 week downtime, I spent the $100 and had a local gunsmith put a Wilson combat safety in it. The other thing, if the current survey is reflective of % of problems that have responded on this forum, Taurus has a real problem. I think their warranty has a little to be desired. You have to pay the shipping to and from them. If you want to insure the firearm, you need to be honest with UPS or Fed X on what you are shipping. I was told by both that firearms sent for repair must be shipped next day air which in my case was $60 each way. You could lie and not tell them and have it shipped by regular delivery but if it gets lost or damaged you are screwed if they find out it was a firearm and you did not declair it as such.

·
Administrator
40,388 Posts
I think you only pay one way shipping. Another option is to let your dealer or someone with an FFL ship it for you. That's the least expensive option. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts