Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts, pros & cons?
My initial thought was a 6" barrel on the 970 tracker would get very heavy.
How is the weight versus the 94?

*I would very much like to get a .22LR pistol, revolver or auto. I have narrowed it down to the Browning Buck Mark semi-auto or one of these two .22 revolvers.*

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
From the Taurus website, the weight of the 970 w/ the 6" barrel is 45.6 ounces while the model 94 with the 5" barrel weighs in at 26.5 ounces and the Tracker .357 with the 6" barrel is 40 ounces. I own both a 94 and a 627 Tracker in those aforementioned lengths and have to say, IMO, the 94 feels extremely light and the weight of the 357 is extremely manageable and not uncomfortable to hold extended at arms length for a reasonable period of time.

The 94 is a 9 shooter and the 970 holds 7 shots so there is an advantage there to the 94. I have heard different people describe the DA pull on the 94 to be very heavy and in my experience that's an accurate assessment. This is the third M94 I've owned and did experience a somewhat heavy pull with the other two as well. With usage however it's seemed to lighten over time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taurus_9mm said:
The 94 is a 9 shooter and the 970 holds 7 shots so there is an advantage there to the 94. I have heard different people describe the DA pull on the 94 to be very heavy and in my experience that's an accurate assessment. This is the third M94 I've owned and did experience a somewhat heavy pull with the other two as well. With usage however it's seemed to lighten over time.
Thanks for the info.
Is the trigger pull on the 970 lighter out of box, than the 94 model?
What happened to the other 2 94's? Did they break?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm a very happy owner of a 970. Yes, it's a heavy gun for a 22LR but the benefit is that it has little to no muzzle flip and no recoil to speak of allowing for very fast and accurate follow up shots. Also the sight picture of the 6.5 in barrel is geat allowing you to really dial in a a target.

As far as the trigger pull is concerned, yes, it's pretty heavy in the DA mode but gives you a very nice feel just before trigger break. It has been my experience that most if not all .22 revolvers have a heavier DA than larger calibers due to the fact that it takes a harder strike to set off a rimfire than a centerfire. SA on the other hand is as smooth as butter with just a small hint of over travel.

This is an extremely accurate handgun that is well put together. Judging by the lack of them availble on the market, I'd have to say that others feel the same way. To be fair, I've also shoot the 94 and found it to be a very nice weapon. I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my collection sometime in the future.

·
Registered
384 Posts
FightingJoe said:
I wish it also came in 4" barrel length.
I can't disagree with you. I think the reason it's only offered in the 6.5 in barrel lenght is because it's marketed as a small game hunting revolver where sight picture, accuracy and balance take on a bigger role. I bought mine strickly for target shooting and can hold my own with anyother 22lr handgun out there. As far as the 4" barrel.....I bought my 608 with the 4" instead of the 6.5" just (OK this is a bad reason) because I thought it looked better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rainman said:
I bought my 608 with the 4" instead of the 6.5" just (OK this is a bad reason) because I thought it looked better.
That is a good enough reason. I won't buy anything if it doesn't look the way I want it to look.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
FightingJoe said:
Thanks for the info.
Is the trigger pull on the 970 lighter out of box, than the 94 model?
What happened to the other 2 94's? Did they break?
I don't have any experience with the 970 though my Tracker .357 has a crisp trigger pull IMO. The other 2 M94s I had prior to the one I own now I ended up selling. I never had any problems with them however and they were both older blued models with the factory wooden grips and a 4" barrel. The M94 I have now is stainless, has a 5" barrel and has factory rubber grips.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 94SS4, a 970, and a Buckmark Stainless UDX. I wouldn't part with any of them.

The 94 does have a much heavier DA pull than the 970, as well as a stiffer hammer pull for SA. I've read that the lockwork on the small frames has a considerably differant geometry than the medium frames and accounts for the stiffer pull. The differance in trigger pull in SA mode is not as great, but does favor the 970, which has a great trigger right from the box. I also understand Wolffe has spring kits available for the 970. The Buckmark has a trigger every bit as good as the 970's SA pull.

Overall, I'd say the 94 is better for a lot of carry with an occassional random shot, the 970 is better for a dedicated hunter, and the Buckmark is probably as good a hunter, and a little lighter than the 970, but MUCH more ammo sensitive, as expected for an auto loader.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these choices, just figure out the most important attributes for your use.

You can also find a lot of good info here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
rainman said:
I'm a very happy owner of a 970. Yes, it's a heavy gun for a 22LR but the benefit is that it has little to no muzzle flip and no recoil to speak of allowing for very fast and accurate follow up shots. Also the sight picture of the 6.5 in barrel is geat allowing you to really dial in a a target.

As far as the trigger pull is concerned, yes, it's pretty heavy in the DA mode but gives you a very nice feel just before trigger break. It has been my experience that most if not all .22 revolvers have a heavier DA than larger calibers due to the fact that it takes a harder strike to set off a rimfire than a centerfire. SA on the other hand is as smooth as butter with just a small hint of over travel.

This is an extremely accurate handgun that is well put together. Judging by the lack of them availble on the market, I'd have to say that others feel the same way. To be fair, I've also shoot the 94 and found it to be a very nice weapon. I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my collection sometime in the future.
Very nice Rainmain! I hope to get a 970 exactly like the one you own at some point. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
Very nice Rainmain! I hope to get a 970 exactly like the one you own at some point. :)
I don't think you will be disappointed Taurus_9mm. However, if I were you, I might wait for the new 990 to come out. Everything I've seen (which isn't a lot!) suguests that it's a 9 shot version of the 970. I had to wait longer for the 970 than any other gun I've purchased, but the wait was worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also very much on the fence about the 5" 94 or 970 Tracker (both Stainless). Hands down I like the 970 for looks and being not much of a difference in price with the 94, I was initially drawn to the tracker. I've read every comparison/like/dislike/problem with each of them that this site and google had to offer 4-5 times over LOL. I guess in the end my only concern is the weight of the 970. I've held one but not shot it. And holding it can't replicate some good range time.

I currently am awaiting my order (already paid in full) of my 905SS2 and have been shooting since I was little. Although my lame a$$ state doesn't allow hunting with a 22, my father lives in PA and would without a doubt want to hunt with my 22lr revolver. But at the same time want it for the cheap range time and also to get my g/f to shoot (she's weary). Bit when I hold each the 94 and 970, I strongly feel I'm getting more for my money with the 970 Tracker.

Anyone have additional thougts?...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts