Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ain't like me. I have always seemed to gravitate to going bigger, larger, louder, meaner in my choice of caliber. I even went so far as to cull out most of my .380 and 9mm guns at one time. However, I now have a few new additions of 9mm and .380 pistols back in the collection. But, now I am giving very strong thought to picking up a Taurus 970 Tracker .22LR. My thoughts are it is cheap ammo for doing some target practice and fun. More so I am thinking it would be a cheap way to become accustomed to shooting a revolver double action and keeping control of aim while pulling a stonger trigger pull. I find that I tend to pull the hammer back and then fire with my revolvers, yet I claim to not care for single action revolvers. And learning to DA a revolver in the 327mag, 357mag, and larger can get expensive real fast.
So does my thought process sound solid...or am I blowing smoke up my own keester. And does anyone have any feedback on the Tracker 970 .22LR they would like to share? Or for that fact any full size Taurus .22LR revolver. IE: is the trigger pull going to compare with a larger caliber revolver? Is there any recoil that can be felt firing a large/medium frame .22LR?
Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have a 970 and a M17 and the recoil is very light in these. I have had no issue with these at all. I love both of them. The 970 gets shot more due to ammo cost but the trigger pull in DA is the same in both: HORRIBLE, IMO. I havent done any spring mods, just factory. They have gotten better with use but are still very heavy. I have around 500+ thru the 970 and it is a ton better since new but still heavy. Plus, who doesnt need a 22 revolver to plink with??

·
Registered
810 Posts
Out of the box, my 970 needed a little polishing of the forcing cone and cylinder face or it would get very stiff to fire after 50 rounds or so. Now many hundreds of rounds later it is much improved. Though I still keep a brass brush in my range bag to clean those two surfaces if necessary.

There is NO recoil to speak of with this large frame rimfire.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I bought my 970 6" last spring and have been happy overall with it. Last year I put between 3k and 4k rounds through it before it began to misfire.
It went back to taurus for repair and on its way back as promised by Taurus after just two weeks.
The DA pull was very stiff at first as is common with all 22 revolvers. It got lighter after the first 500 or so rounds.
So anyway I think the gun was a good buy and the life time gurantee is sure a plus. My gun is pictured here next to my GP100

002.jpg

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have the Trackers in both 17 HMR and 22. They are extremely accurate, and scoped. The double action pull is heavy on all the Trackers I own in rimfire and centerfire. I seldom shoot double action and the single action is as good or better than the Smiths I own. The barrel cylinder gap on the Trackers I own is tight and requires cleaning often. The gap could be opened and they would require cleaning less often. I would rather have the tight clearance and clean often. It is much cheaper to shoot bulk 22's than .44's and 45's, the guns are alike. As a side note I own several Smith and Ruger rimfire revolvers. The Taurus Trackers are shot more than the Smiths and Rugers. Today I spent time shooting a Tracker in 17 HMR, how many factory revolvers can you shoot out to 100 yards and break clays?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I couldn't agree more with oldredneck on how accurate the 970 can be.
I started handgun shooting last year and after shooting 4-5 days a week on my farm here is one of my best targets.
007.jpg

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got a 990. I agree the trigger wasn't the best at first, but after more rounds then I can count, it's as good as any Smith & Wesson. The guy who usually wins revolver in the rimfire league I shoot in shoots a 6" 970. The S&W boys hate getting beat regularly by a Taurus.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I will be adding a 970 to my collection. I believe this will be the last purchase for awhile, unless I come across the final few PT all metal pistols I am yet to aquire..Pt-909,
Pt-957, Pt-917 all wanted in stainless. I also found out that there is a PT-38 that fires the 38 Super Auto ammo, I just don't know enough about the 38 Super rounds to really want one at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts