Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi!

I'm new to shooting (approx. 3 years) and my latest purchase is this Taurus model 96.
I know, that many would say, - why didn't you buy the S&M 17 Masterpeace ?
Well, I probably do in the future, and maybe the model 14 too.

Never the less, here I am with my first revolver and I am ready for learning the techniques of shooting, fine tuning and polishing the moving parts.
I believe, that this cheap edition of a revolver will suite my goal well.

I started using this one yesterday and spent about 20 rounds adjusting the sight.

So, the journey is ready to begin ...

I'm starting this thread for writing and reading my and others experiences with this gun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had chance to made some action tune-up on my friend's Taurus 76, basically the same revolver, only in .32 S&W Long. Very well made gun, and accurate too. Congratulation!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I see you found your way here from THR. There will be lots of folks here envious of your beautiful revolver, myself included. My recommendation for a spring kit and internal clean stand. Just be easy removing the side plate, Taurus has springs in the side plate that must be contained. Disassemble in a huge ziplock bag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see you found your way here from THR. There will be lots of folks here envious of your beautiful revolver, myself included. My recommendation for a spring kit and internal clean stand. Just be easy removing the side plate, Taurus has springs in the side plate that must be contained. Disassemble in a huge ziplock bag.
Hi, the way was straight forward :)
Thanks for the advise, I'll do that (I already had thought about the issue while seeing pictures of the inside elsewhere).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is exactly what I was looking for in the last 3 years.
The gun is PERFECT.
I already ordered a S&M 19 ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's a beautiful weapon. I have owned one for about two years. I believe that your weapon was made a little later on in the production run. It has the improved adjustable rear sight, not the old S&W looking one. Does it have a trigger adjust in the trigger guard? The older ones ( mine is an older one ) have the adjust just like the Smiths. I do own Smith 616 that I love, but the model 96 has a better trigger in both DA and SA. When I bought the weapon it had an end shake problem that was fairly easy to fix once I found the correct shims for it. ( They were actually a shim made for a Colt S/A but fit and worked perfectly.) I think you made a great find and will enjoy that weapon for a long time. The only problem with starting with that revolver is you will be disappointed in many of the future weapons you buy. Not many will measure up to the 96.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
WOWZA!! What a GREAT looking revolver. I am jealous, bt glad for you at the same time.

Reactions: Winblows

·
Premium Member
13,622 Posts
Very nice looking revolver. Congratulations!

Reactions: Winblows

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I'm VERY impressed of the performance of this revolver. Very accurate and a pleasure to practice ... WOW. I was lucky to get a very good copy, no need for further adjustments.
In Denmark, the weapon law is very restrictive (I like that), I've ordered "the real thing", a S&W model 19-3 (6") and look forward to practice with revolvers ...
My new S&W model 19

1 - 11 of 11 Posts