Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range the other day my wife shot my Taurus TCP, S&W 642, and Phoenix HP22a. She has small hands.

We started with the Phoenix .22 and she really liked the lack of recoil and had better groupings on target than I did.
She shot one mag of the Taurus .380 and said 'forget it' - way too much recoil to suit her.
Finally the Smith and after a couple shots her thumb was bleeding pretty good. And those weren't even .38 +p's.

So here's the dilemna.
Those are the only three guns I own that fit her hand. My MilPro and Ruger P95 are WAY too big and she can't reach the trigger using a proper grip.
She tends to limp-wrist so much my TCP actually had it's first failure to eject after firing 300+ trouble-free rounds. Even my fluffed & buffed Phoenix jammed for her...it's NEVER failed for me. She grips the weapons correctly but has a loose handhold on them which is her 'natural' grip.

So by the process of elimination we're looking at .22 lr or .22 wmr revolvers for her. Not exactly hand cannons but better than shooting nothing at all.
I've been checking them out online but am unwilling to part with $600-700 for a S&W plinker.
The Taurus 94 & 941 ultra-lite's are much more affordable but I know nothing about them. The local gun store does not stock either one.

If you own one of those revolvers I'd appreciate your input regarding these questions and any helpful info you could provide:

How do those Taurus revolvers match up with the S&W J frame's like 642 or 637 in terms of grip width and trigger reach? Shorter? Longer?
What kind of recoil are we talking about in an 18 oz ultra-lite .22 magnum? Is it 10% - 20% - 50% greater than .22 lr?
Do they lock up tight and feel precise like a Smith?
How about trigger pull? Too heavy for a woman's weak fingers? Long or short? Smooth or gritty?

We're gonna find her a gun she likes but could use some help. Thanks in advance - Ross.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
Lots of novices start of being recoil shy.

There's nothing wrong with regressing to a .22 till skill level and confidence are built up.

The Taurus 94 is a good choice, they are accurate and reliable as any rimfire can be; at half the price of a comparable S&W.

Just be forewarned that all .22 rimfire revolvers have heavier double action trigger pulls than their centerfire cousins.

This is necessary to make them reliable with rimfire ammunition.

I love my M-94 and it ain't for sale.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have both in .22 Mag because I have small hands and due to a neck injury my hands have limitations. I have a 4" 94 and it is fun to shoot. Not sure why I have it, as it isn't something I need, but it's a nice little gun and the 4" barrel helps with accuracy and balance. That said, the trigger pull on rimfires, as stated above, is harsh and is more than needed. So my gunsmith reduced the trigger pull and it still fires reliably but is much more fun to shoot. My 941 just came in a few days ago. It's trigger pull is heavier yet. So, this one, too, is going to go to the gunsmith. I also ordered different grips for it because I like having my little finger on the grip, not under it. The single-action pull on both of these is fine, a bit gritty, but I'm sure they will smooth up with time. I'm not the Taurus expert here, but you get what you pay for. I traded off a Smith .22LR Model 317 because it was so light I was afraid I'd lose it and wanted a bit more firepower. For a target gun, plinker, trail gun my 4" Model 94" is nice. Too soon for me to make a pronouncement on my 941. It's real solid, but stiff in many ways. At my gun store I had trouble opening and closing the cylinder. I decided that this tightness was better than having a cylinder that was too loose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts