Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Taurus 92 and was shooting it yesterday. Using WWB and Independence ammo it was shooting low and to the left.
The owners manual states that it is set up to shoot 124 grain bullets and I think I read that they are somewhat ammo sensitive.
Are there adjustable sights available for the 92? Can a person get sights from Taurus (from a 99)and install them?

Dwayne

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I bought my PT 92 last January. It did the same thing, about 8 inches low and a little to the left. I hung in there and just shot it. I put a Laserlyte on it and zeroed it in with the laser. After a while, I notced that the P.O.A./P.O.I. was moving. I took the laser off. Anyway after about a 400-500 round break-in, the gun seemed to settle in. It now shots true to the sights.
As far as the left of center, it was probably me. I'm new to autopistols, this being my first one, and low and left seems to be common with getting used to a new gun. I guess it had to break me in, too.
I, too considered an adjustable sight at first,but decided to wait and see. There are aftermarket sights available. Here are some from Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Categoryid=10407&categorystring=10636***10560***

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Before you go messing with the sights of any handgun, work on your shooting technique first! It may be just the way you are shooting it. I use a "dead on" sight hold on all my handguns and they all shoot to POA! I had a link to a informational target for "Group Therapy", but it's host is not operational at this time. I may wind up looking for a new pic host, as my current one is proving unreliable!

As for being Ammo Sensitive, that is one thing that PT92's definitely are not! Most 9mm pistols, including the PT92, barrel rifling is formed with a 1 in 10 twist, which is one complete turn in 10 inches. This particular twist is optimum for the NATO Spec 124 grn FMJ bullet, but I have not noticed ANY accuracy problems with 115 and 147 grn Bullets. I've even used 9mm cartridges with light 88 and 100 grn bullets with no problems. Even those would group into 3 inches at 50 feet, although about 2 inches high! Accuracy was still acceptable!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure what your experience is with pistol shooting but I can offer a little advice. Most likely it is not the pistol. Shooting low is associated with anticipation and when you think it is about to go off you push the pistol down and forward. Shooting to the left is normally associated with the way you are pulling the trigger and how you have your finder placed on the trigger.

-Shooting low: Have a friend load your mags and have him place a couple snap caps in there. When you get the snapcap you will be able to see what you are doing and you will see the gun what appears to you will be a "shake". If you practice the gun should remain perfectly still when you pull the trigger and encounter the snapcap or reloaded empty cartridge.

-As for shooting left: do not hook the trigger. The pad of your finger should be on the trigger not the tip and not the crease.

-Also check you grip. I used to shoot with my thumbs one on top of the other. Try shooting with both both thumbs pointing down the slide toward the target. (the support thumb will be slightly forward and the other thumb will fall just behind the middle of the support hands thumb). This creates instead of a push and pull grip it creates a squeeze which is much more controlable. The meat below your thumbs will look like a babies but when done correctly.

Good luck and happy shooting.

flag2442

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh and take the slack out of the trigger and squeeze do not pull between every shot...It can be done very quick with practice.

flag2442

1 - 5 of 5 Posts