Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’m new to this forum. Just bought my first Taurus 856, matte SS, 2” brl. It’s in the 10 day “Commiefornia” wait box. I’m really looking forward to shooting it.
Just curious about what kind of holsters are you running with this baby. Is it the same size as a S&W “J” frame?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My 856 uses the same holsters as my Charter Bulldog frame size revolvers , Colt “D” size & Ruger SP101

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey, I’m new to this forum. Just bought my first Taurus 856, matte SS, 2” brl. It’s in the 10 day “Commiefornia” wait box. I’m really looking forward to shooting it.
Just curious about what kind of holsters are you running with this baby. Is it the same size as a S&W “J” frame?
You bought what I should have bought! I got a 605 matte blk which is literally the same firearm cept it shoots .357 also. Now that's kinda kewl, but you give up one shot, it only holds 5. And, to be perfectly honest, it's no fun to shot .357 thru THAT gun. I hate the DA trigger pull, but SA, it probably is the best I've got + it's VERY accurate with that stubby barrel.

BTW, I bought a very inexpensive kydex Tactical Scorpion Gear holster off fleabay + love it!!!

PU some snap caps + when yah get the gun, clean + oil it generously + snap cap the snot outta it. It will loosen up considerably! Congrats, you picked a real winner!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 856 uses the same holsters as my Charter Bulldog frame size revolvers , Colt “D” size & Ruger SP101 View attachment 475634
I think my 605 is really close to the same size as your 856. I opted for pocket carry and used the sticky type pocket holster. Carried for about three years that way. It is annoying in that it would still wear out the pocket lining. I quit carrying in the pocket because, if you're seated in your vehicle it was very difficult to produce the weapon in a timely manner. Now I carry on my hip using an outside the waist band holster. This is faster, but still slow.

On a side note. I had to use the 605 twice on 4 legged critters. 357, 158 grain flat top bullets pass straight thru. There was a wound, but it wasn't adequate and the bullet hit the ground on the other side with a serious ricochet. For an 80 to 100 lb critter a 380 with hollow point is much more effective.

I choose a DeSantis OWB in leather for my everyday carry of a larger gun nowadays. In 45 acp. For me under the shoulder holsters seem like a great idea. But in practice it is frustrating. I do a lot of physical work, sometimes laying on the ground. The shoulder holster was very awkward. I have considered the fanny pack but haven't tried it yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The 605 is the same size as a 5 shot 85 .. basically a J frame ..
The 856 is a Colt D size frame , Charter Bulldog frame & SP101 frame

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a 605 and a 856 and both guns fit my holsters with no problems. Here is a picture of the 856 in my Houston IWB holster. I used the same holster for my 85 and 605 but wanted the extra round so this is my carry gun now.
20210114_094120.jpg
20210114_094131.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You bought what I should have bought! I got a 605 matte blk which is literally the same firearm cept it shoots .357 also. Now that's kinda kewl, but you give up one shot, it only holds 5. And, to be perfectly honest, it's no fun to shot .357 thru THAT gun. I hate the DA trigger pull, but SA, it probably is the best I've got + it's VERY accurate with that stubby barrel.

BTW, I bought a very inexpensive kydex Tactical Scorpion Gear holster off fleabay + love it!!!

PU some snap caps + when yah get the gun, clean + oil it generously + snap cap the snot outta it. It will loosen up considerably! Congrats, you picked a real winner!
Thanks Jarhead. Thanks for the comment. I was actually wondering if I should have waited for the mag. I’m glad I didn’t. It was on the shelf and I figured get it while I can. Wheel guns are scarce out here. I’ll definitely do the snap cap thing. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts