Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really thinking about picking up one of these 856UL .... But Im holding off a bit to see if it will be offered with a 3 inch barrel ... Which I think would be the cats pajamas...

·
Registered
807 Posts
The 856UL is on my "must check out' list, too, but it seems like the 856 has fallen off of the planet for the time being, too. My local dealer doesn't have them in-stock and Gun Genie doesn't show them available, either. I am beginning to wonder if the boat from Brazil is doing a world-cruise before arriving in the U.S. I want to see one in-person and handle it before I just blindly buy one.

Luckily, I am in no hurry or else I would have a Charter Arms Police Undercover instead of waiting on Taurus. I hope to check them both out side-by-side to see how they compare. I am hoping the 856 compares favorably to my model 85 because I am quite impressed with that little revolver. I did elect to have Gun Genie notify me when the 856UL is back in-stock but will probably still buy it from my local gun shop who does not participate with them.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I,too, love 3" barrelled revolvers! I have two venerable M85's - one blue and one shiny stainless - with 3" barrels. Get the new 856, but keep looking for a golden oldie like the ones I picked up! The hunt is half the fun! :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I doubt they will ever make it in a 3" barrel. It looks very much like my 605 which I chose because, even though it only holds 5 rounds, I have the option of using 357 magnum. Before I bought my 605, I looked hard to find out issues with them since they have been on the market since 1995 and finding none, I bought a used one that looks like new.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt they will ever make it in a 3" barrel. It looks very much like my 605 which I chose because, even though it only holds 5 rounds, I have the option of using 357 magnum. Before I bought my 605, I looked hard to find out issues with them since they have been on the market since 1995 and finding none, I bought a used one that looks like new.
The 605 is a fine revolver... I had a odd 605 once upon a time .. polished SS .. and a ported 2.5 inch barrel ...

The 685UL is built on a alumium frame and with a pinch of magic dust they squeezed a extra hole in the cylinder ; )
Thats the main reason I'm looking at the 685UL..
I have a Ruger LCR357 that fills my 5 shooter 357mag needs ... That is amazing little hotrod .. The well designed grip + polymer grip frame and stainless steel frame ..dampens the 357 Mag cartridge recoil...

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 856 is definitely interesting. If I didn't have a Colt Agent and a Colt sf-vi I'd probably pick one up. I do have a 605 though. I had to replace the yoke screw assembly after it came loose at the range. I haven't shot it since Taurus sent me the parts but I'm hoping blue loctite fixed my problem.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The 605 is a fine revolver... I had a odd 605 once upon a time .. polished SS .. and a ported 2.5 inch barrel ...

The 685UL is built on a alumium frame and with a pinch of magic dust they squeezed a extra hole in the cylinder ; )
Thats the main reason I'm looking at the 685UL..
I have a Ruger LCR357 that fills my 5 shooter 357mag needs ... That is amazing little hotrod .. The well designed grip + polymer grip frame and stainless steel frame ..dampens the 357 Mag cartridge recoil...
I have your Ruger LCR's little brother in .38spl and it is exclusively my EDC and has been for 2+ years. I pocket-carry the LCR which is why I don't carry my all-steel 85. The 85 is a surprisingly good snubby with an excellent trigger but it just too much weight for my front pocket. I have enough trouble keeping my pants up without the extra weight working against me.

I do want that extra round that the 856UL offers, though. 6 rounds versus 5 is a lot more 'comforting'. That extra round is also why the Charter Arms Police Undercover is on my radar. Although I haven't seen one yet, it looks to be a bit larger than the 856 and that might be an issue for pocket-carry. In all my years, I have never even shot a Charter Arms but one of my retired cop buddies had one in the 1970's as his first revolver (he was a security guard at the time) and said it was actually quite decent. Not Colt or Smith quality but he said it was extremely reliable.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have your Ruger LCR's little brother in .38spl and it is exclusively my EDC and has been for 2+ years. I pocket-carry the LCR which is why I don't carry my all-steel 85. The 85 is a surprisingly good snubby with an excellent trigger but it just too much weight for my front pocket. I have enough trouble keeping my pants up without the extra weight working against me.

I do want that extra round that the 856UL offers, though. 6 rounds versus 5 is a lot more 'comforting'. That extra round is also why the Charter Arms Police Undercover is on my radar. Although I haven't seen one yet, it looks to be a bit larger than the 856 and that might be an issue for pocket-carry. In all my years, I have never even shot a Charter Arms but one of my retired cop buddies had one in the 1970's as his first revolver (he was a security guard at the time) and said it was actually quite decent. Not Colt or Smith quality but he said it was extremely reliable.
I do like my Charters , but you are right , the Police 38.. That Charter produces is a 6 shot 38 ..but is built on a steel frame Bulldog frame and weighs in at 20 to 22oz ? ..( can't remember )
The 685ul is smaller and lighter...

·
Registered
901 Posts
That extra round is also why the Charter Arms Police Undercover is on my radar. Although I haven't seen one yet, it looks to be a bit larger than the 856 and that might be an issue for pocket-carry.
I have a Charter Arms Undercover, and like you, have the Charter Arms Police Undercover on the radar; it's actually on my next to buy list.

I have small hands and trigger span/trigger reach is always a concern. 3.0" is my limit. Just about the only place I see that info given is on Gun-Tests.com. The Charter Arms Undercover trigger span is just under 3.0" and suits me just fine. But, like Buckeye noted, the Police Undercover is built on the larger Bulldog frame. So that left the nagging question, what is the trigger reach? Decided to call Charter Arms. I spoke with customer service gal and she transferred me directly to the QC guy. He said no one ever asked him the trigger span question before. But he assured me that the only size difference between the Police Undercover and Undercover is the height, not the length (other that the longer 2.2"barrel) so the trigger span is the exactly the same on all of their revolvers. Sold/Bingo!

One great thing about Charter is you can speak directly to whomever you need; the friendly customer service lady, the QC guy and even the owner. Have a couple of Charters now and I'm not looking back. Being I'm a revolver guy, dealing with a small revolver manufacturer and getting to speak with the folks who service and make em' means a lot. If you want to go visit and see the operation all you have to do is ask.

Like Buckeye mentioned the six-shot Police Undercover is 20 oz. and the 856UL is lighter (16oz) but the 856 is heavier at 22oz. But for me the Police Undercover will be for home defense/beside, not EDC. However it will go out on the occasional OWB carry. Since I've had both the 856 variants and the Undercover, the Undercover is my now EDC, even though it's 5 vs 6 shot. Just like it better, out of box quality wise, how it feels in hand, trigger, how it shoots and how it rides for pocket carry. Also purchased a DAO hammer for it last week. BTW the 5-shot Undercover weighs in at 16oz.

But that said if six shot and light weight is a must for pocket carry the lighter 16oz. 856UL should be a good choice. Both of the ones I bought had minor QC issues. One had a sharp sliver of metal at the end of the barrel that needed to be filed down. The other had cuts and sharp edges on top of the ejector star. But they functioned just fine. An 856 will serve you well.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a Charter Arms Undercover, and like you, have the Charter Arms Police Undercover on the radar; it's actually on my next to buy list.

I have small hands and trigger span/trigger reach is always a concern. 3.0" is my limit. Just about the only place I see that info given is on Gun-Tests.com. The Charter Arms Undercover trigger span is just under 3.0" and suits me just fine. But, like Buckeye noted, the Police Undercover is built on the larger Bulldog frame. So that left the nagging question, what is the trigger reach? Decided to call Charter Arms. I spoke with customer service gal and she transferred me directly to the QC guy. He said no one ever asked him the trigger span question before. But he assured me that the only size difference between the Police Undercover and Undercover is the height, not the length (other that the longer 2.2"barrel) so the trigger span is the exactly the same on all of their revolvers. Sold/Bingo!

One great thing about Charter is you can speak directly to whomever you need; the friendly customer service lady, the QC guy and even the owner. Have a couple of Charters now and I'm not looking back. Being I'm a revolver guy, dealing with a small revolver manufacturer and getting to speak with the folks who service and make em' means a lot. If you want to go visit and see the operation all you have to do is ask.

Like Buckeye mentioned the six-shot Police Undercover is 20 oz. and the 856UL is lighter (16oz) but the 856 is heavier at 22oz. But for me the Police Undercover will be for home defense/beside, not EDC. However it will go out on the occasional OWB carry. Since I've had both the 856 variants and the Undercover, the Undercover is my now EDC, even though it's 5 vs 6 shot. Just like it better, out of box quality wise, how it feels in hand, trigger, how it shoots and how it rides for pocket carry. Also purchased a DAO hammer for it last week. BTW the 5-shot Undercover weighs in at 16oz.

But that said if six shot and light weight is a must for pocket carry the lighter 16oz. 856UL should be a good choice. Both of the ones I bought had minor QC issues. One had a sharp sliver of metal at the end of the barrel that needed to be filed down. The other had cuts and sharp edges on top of the ejector star. But they functioned just fine. An 856 will serve you well.
Thanks Mark. Your opinion on Charter Arms decent quality seems to fit right in there with many others. I have also read that their customer support is excellent which is something that Taurus could take a lesson or two from (just from my reading here...neither of my two "Taurii" have needed service of any kind yet)

As much as I love revolvers, I am actually surprised that I never owned a Charter Arms or even fired one. I guess I was too much of a Colt/Smith&Wesson guy back in my younger cop days and it seems like the vast majority of my acquaintances were just like me. Of course back then (1970's) I could get new Smith&Wesson revolvers for well under $250 with my police discount. I even bought a lightly used 6" Python for $234 back then! Ah...the good old days.

I might start thinking harder about a Police Undercover 6-shot with an OWB holster instead of pocket carry. Even 20 ounces is not too bad for pocket carry but I think the physical size works against me there. I need to see both the 856 and the Police Undercover before deciding. Hopefully I can view them side-by-side, too.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I might start thinking harder about a Police Undercover 6-shot with an OWB holster instead of pocket carry. Even 20 ounces is not too bad for pocket carry but I think the physical size works against me there. I need to see both the 856 and the Police Undercover before deciding. Hopefully I can view them side-by-side, too.
Scott, sure hope you can find them both for a side by side too.
Hopefully I'll have one soon, I'm waiting on a consignment gun to sell at the LGS to fund that purchase.
BTW: the larger size of the 856UL was not an impediment for pocket carry. It fit the same pocket holster I used for a M85 and LCR, and fit one of the two OWB holster I have. So maybe that Police Undercover will see limited pocket carry duty depending on where I'm going and for how long.

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
901 Posts
As you can see , I do like my Charters
Wow, nice Charters! That Goldfinger is sharp. See you added wood grips to two of them. I picked up Charter wooden grips for my 4" Police Undercover but haven't tried them out yet.

Reactions: slong115
1 - 14 of 14 Posts