Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm sold that I need a Taurus 856 to give me the extra round that my J-frames lack. My sole reticence is that my beloved M&P 340 has an XS Big Dot front sight, and it has spoiled me. Bladed front sight were always a compromise that I could accept, but I'm less forgiving now.

But I noticed that the 856 Hammerless have a pinned front sight, and it got me wondering if anyone has heard about aftermarket sight options planned for these.

(My apologies if anyone else has asked this question...I searched and couldn't find it.)

·
23,103 Posts
Even if no one makes anything specifically intended for the 856, I wouldn't think it would be a tough job for a gunsmith to give you exactly what you want out there over the muzzle.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if no one makes anything specifically intended for the 856, I wouldn't think it would be a tough job for a gunsmith to give you exactly what you want out there over the muzzle.

Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, I sorta figured that might be the case. Just have to find something that's fairly close in size, I suppose.

And thank you!!

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Actually I was wondering about that for the 692 I bought at the first of the year. Maybe our friends at Lakeline might come up with something for Taurus revolvers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I'm sold that I need a Taurus 856 to give me the extra round that my J-frames lack. My sole reticence is that my beloved M&P 340 has an XS Big Dot front sight, and it has spoiled me. Bladed front sight were always a compromise that I could accept, but I'm less forgiving now
Okay, I'm sold that I need a Taurus 856 to give me the extra round that my J-frames lack. My sole reticence is that my beloved M&P 340 has an XS Big Dot front sight, and it has spoiled me. Bladed front sight were always a compromise that I could accept, but I'm less forgiving now.

But I noticed that the 856 Hammerless have a pinned front sight, and it got me wondering if anyone has heard about aftermarket sight options planned for these.

(My apologies if anyone else has asked this question...I searched and couldn't find it.)
did you ever find a wight that works ? Looking to change mine

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone called AmeriGlo? They make the front sight for the 856 Defender. It's not on their website. But maybe they'll sell you one anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone called AmeriGlo? They make the front sight for the 856 Defender. It's not on their website. But maybe they'll sell you one anyway.
I contacted Ameriglo and they shut me right down: “Thanks for the interest in our sights, however the Taurus sights are available exclusively through Taurus.”

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is from Taurus’ Parts Diagram. I wonder if this helps identify another off-the-shelf sight that would fit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hmmm. That may prove helpful.

The XS Big Dots don't use a pin, so it would really be more a matter of getting the bottom flange to seat properly in the recess. Tough to tell from this picture if it would be compatible.

edited to add: I just saw that video in this thread and realized that the XS expects you to drill the pin hole. Hmmm. Might make for an interesting weekend project. Seems simple enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Incidentally, the factory sights are “spot-on” with cast wadcutters and a mild-to-moderate powder charge. I suspect that the DA trigger pull contributed to the horizontal dispersion. That and older eyes. That’s a 3” black, shot at 30’ with a 6 o’clock hold.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I emailed XS to see if they offered any of their revolver front sights for Taurus. This is the response I got

We don’t have any that we know will work. Taurus has a habit of changing things from one batch to another which is off putting for aftermarket sight makers.
So don't look for any of the companies to be offering anything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I emailed XS to see if they offered any of their revolver front sights for Taurus. This is the response I got

So don't look for any of the companies to be offering anything.
If it is super important to do, order a BG38 and an SP101 Front Night Sight. See if either lends itself to hand fitting. Any good gunsmith can add a hole if needed. The BG38 already has one. One of those might be suitable for a custom install....Ameriglo may be the other option. I understand the Defender comes with an extra blade sight. See if you can buy it off a Defender owner for mock up, or just borrow it. Maybe someone with both guns on here can mock it up....

·
23,103 Posts
Wild, did you see this thread?

Link

·
Registered
11 Posts

I found this site and looking into it. In the more information spot at bottom they mention Taurus 905 so I think I might be on the right track. It also seems they are in the process of expanding what they have. Hopefully I figure out more. Have you found anything else on this topic in the last year?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts