Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a post on Taurus FB page about a new 6 shot 38spl coming on line. I wonder if there'll be a year wait for it to be on the actual market?

·
Registered
210 Posts
It features prominently in their annual magazine. I'm looking forward to it. It should take the Colt Detective speed loaders and is light at 22.2 ounces. It may not be rated for +P according to some reports I've read, but so what? I'd rather carry a heavier bullet as opposed to a higher velocity bullet.

It is really time for six shot snubbies in .38 to make an appearance again. Everyone wants .357, but most wind up shooting .38 instead. The .357 round is hard to handle out of a snubbie. I can do it, but the accuracy decreases and it takes longer to get back on target. That is why I carry three 158 grain .38's as my first three rounds in my 605 followed by two .357's for insurance. In the scheme of things, I'm just as confident with six rounds of .38.

Auto part Table

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's good Taurus is bringing this one back. I got one back when they were offered the last time. Mine is matte stainless steel finish & weights 22.2 oz. It is rated for +P ammo, but I just shoot regular 38 spl. It's loaded with Buffalo Bore LSWC (Lead Semi Wad Cutter) "FBI Load". These are standard pressure cartridges with a 158 grain bullet and 850 fps tested from a 2" barrel.

Saw a post on Taurus FB page about a new 6 shot 38spl coming on line. I wonder if there'll be a year wait for it to be on the actual market?

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
It's good Taurus is bringing this one back. I got one back when they were offered the last time. Mine is matte stainless steel finish & weights 22.2 oz. It is rated for +P ammo, but I just shoot regular 38 spl. It's loaded with Buffalo Bore LSWC (Lead Semi Wad Cutter) "FBI Load". These are standard pressure cartridges with a 158 grain bullet and 850 fps tested from a 2" barrel.
I agree, I think there is a place for a 6 shot snub. 20% more firepower is always appealing. I always like the Colt Detective Special because of this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Agree about the extra round. I pretty much only carry my M856 as my carry weapon. If I'm traveling and it cool enough to wear a jacket outside, many times I'll just drop it in the pocket of the jacket or coat. Fits there very nicely.

I agree, I think there is a place for a 6 shot snub. 20% more firepower is always appealing. I always like the Colt Detective Special because of this.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was actually considering possibly getting a Spectrum after all the "new gun' bugs got worked out but seeing Taurus coming out with a 6-shot snubbie puts the Spectrum way, way, way on the back burner. I can hear an 856UL calling my name as I type this. Gonna have to keep an eye out for when they are available.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
I was actually considering possibly getting a Spectrum after all the "new gun' bugs got worked out but seeing Taurus coming out with a 6-shot snubbie puts the Spectrum way, way, way on the back burner. I can hear an 856UL calling my name as I type this. Gonna have to keep an eye out for when they are available.
I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about the magnesium 856 making a return. It didn't handle +P ammo anyway, so probably no big loss, I would be in favor of a 856UL though.

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
840 Posts
I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about the magnesium 856 making a return. It didn't handle +P ammo anyway, so probably no big loss, I would be in favor of a 856UL though.
Saw it on the Gun Genie site which lists an 856UL with a weight of 15.7 ounces. Of course.......NONE AVAILABLE. :( I can wait as it gives me some time to set aside a few $$$ for a possible purchase.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The 856 magnesium is only 13.2 ounces, it makes my 85UL feel heavy. But, Yes, No +P ammo.
Agreed. My 856 magnesium is one of my favorite Taurus revolvers (I have 14 now). It's so light for carry and doesn't hurt much to shoot with non +P ammo. It's cool that they are bringing it back, but I doubt they make it in magnesium again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sure some of this has been covered in other threads, but this may be relevant to a few folks:

• The new 856 is a replacement for the Model 85 revolvers. According to Taurus, the smaller, lighter 85 is done.
  • Although the new 856 shows as ".38 Special" and not ".38 Special +P" on the website, Taurus told me that the new guns are +P capable.
  • The new 856 will not have a lifetime warranty - one year only.
  • There are no plans to introduce "exotic" metals into the line. Steel is the metal of choice, and the metal of choice is steel.

-Richard

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hmmmm.........this is the first I have heard about the 'no lifetime warranty' and it is making me have 2nd and even 3rd thoughts about what I was considering to be my next revolver. If this is true, then Taurus' management decisions, which already have me concerned, are starting to boggle my mind. I wonder if this is a preview of a change Taurus will make on all of their models of guns. I hope not.

The lifetime warranty was one of the big pluses about buying Taurus guns. Drop that to a year and then add-in their often lengthy customer service repair turn-around times and I can only shake my head at how their management culture thinks about their customers.

Does the management at Taurus look at the problems they are having and think..."Wow, we have too many guns being sent in for warranty work due to bad quality control! Do we work on improving our quality right off of the factory line? Nah...let's eliminate the lifetime warranty and maybe we won't get so many guns being sent back for repair!"

As an added note, there are a lot of models that Taurus could eliminate and probably do just fine...but the 85 is almost a staple in their line-up. Mine seems extremely well-made and has had zero issues...which is what I have grown to expect from any revolver that I have owned. I was hoping to add a snubbie 6-shooter to my stable but I guess I might just have to live with my very good Model 85 (and its lifetime warranty).

Incidentally, the only revolver I ever had any issue with was my brand-new mid-1970's Smith Model 29. The crane screw's threaded end was cut at about a 45-degree angle giving it a sharp edge that was scratching the crane. Luckily, I caught that the 2nd day I owned it and just went to a gunsmith and spent $2 on a new screw that he had in-stock rather than deal with Smith on such a minor issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 856 spec sheet on the Taurus website indicates an unlimited lifetime warranty.
Also, the 856 is a "UL" series as stamped on the frame. I would assume the frame is aluminum like the 85 UL.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Glove Personal protective equipment Vehicle Auto part Revolver

I've had one for 4 years, carry it every day.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The 856 spec sheet on the Taurus website indicates an unlimited lifetime warranty.
Also, the 856 is a "UL" series as stamped on the frame. I would assume the frame is aluminum like the 85 UL.
With a lifetime warranty, it will go back to the top of my 'want' list. I love the idea of a 6-shot snubbie. With an auto-loader, the difference between 10 rounds and 12 rounds is not such a big deal but the difference between a 5-shot vs 6-shot revolver seems much more dramatic...at least in my mind.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The additional firepower is the reason I bought the M817UL. 7 rounds of 38SP. in a compact, light package. Wish they would bring this one back.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not sure why Taurus would come out with an 856 6 shot when they have the 617 357/38 Spl. 7 shot. Both are on the Compct frame and with the 617 you have the advantage of the 357 and 38 Special.

I guess they have there reasons I just can't see it I guess.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts