Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and also have this thread going over at defensive carry where I'm also a member and found out about this place there. Ok so I'm considering getting a Taurus 851UL for ccw use and would like some feedback members here who own these or any other Taurus small frame revolver. I'm considering the 851UL for its lightweight and built in hammer shroud,as I'd like the option of shooting the gun single action. Also will these guns use J-frame leather and speed loaders?

Now my only concern is the lock Taurus puts in their guns. has there been any cases of these locks engaging themselves like on some of the S&W guns? I've heard that the Taurus lock was a much better design not prone to this,is this correct? Last thing I know Taurus has come up in quality allot in recent years,I've looked at some Taurus snubbies and have been impressed with fit,finish and triggers on these guns. And yes I do own a few colts and S&W's. Do you guys feel this would be a good choice in a pocket carried snub nose?

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can pretty much ignore the lock if you want to. Won't hurt a thing.

My 650 (357 Mag small-frame) is an excellent revolver in all respects.

It should fit a standard J-frame holster with no problems. Speed loaders should work as advertised.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
I want one, too. Love the ability to shoot SA, yet have the full hammer shroud for pocket desnag. I like my M85UL a lot, though, and I really have no problems from a pocket with it. The 851 is a nice choice for CCW, though. :D

·
32,737 Posts
One thing to add.
There are many who know this, but am going to include this anyway.

It's recommended with snub guns that have a hammers, that the thumb of the hand drawing the gun be put over the back of the hammer before and as the gun is drawn. This can be from a pocket or holster.

Slipping the thumb over the back of the hammer acts like hammer shroud so material or objects will not snag on the hammer as the gun is drawn.

This method takes practice with an unloaded gun, but after enough repetitions it becomes second nature.

For the Taurus 650/651/850/851 models this method may not be necessary.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Being an old single action shooter, my habit has always been to cover the hammer with a thumb on the draw. :D I learned with a Hawes single action .22 fake Colt (and my uncle's K22 Target Masterpiece when I actually wanted to hit something). But, then, I got into Blackhawks in later life. If you like single actions, covering the hammer with a thumb just becomes habit. The hard thing to do is break the habit of cocking the gun on the draw. LOL

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
It was funny, but practicing DA shooting I can draw and shoot DA. Once, though, I was out with my .22 walking my place when a rabbit jumped. I drew my Rossi .22 and cocked and fired just as naturally as if it were a blackhawk. Missed the rabbit, but I got to thinkin' about that later, was all autonomic reflex. I didn't think at all about it, just went for the gun and fired. Realized after the fact I'd done it SA. I think if I were to run into a serious social situation with the M85, that might happen. No matter, just as natural as DA shooting to me. Just that it's not by the book. LOL Fortunately, probably because of the different grip, I never try to cock the Kel Tec single action, LOL!

·
32,737 Posts
1911luver, it can be recommended that you consider the Taurus snubs and little or nothing is lost by getting one. There is a however. If you decide you like the S&W line better than no one here is going to feel ill will toward you.

One size or brand does not always fit a situation or person. For some of us one has to look no further than Taurus. There are any number of staff and members who own the 642 from Smith or one of their brethren.

Staff and members here do not have a fanaticism of Taurus. There may be a following, but that's all. Common sense, the user's needs, and the niche being filled are the primary concerns. Not blindly following for followings sake. If you stay around long enough, and we hope you do, you'll see that there are those who have many different brands,makes, and models of firearms.

Then there are those who have Taurus only, but had these owners need not look further than Taurus to fill their needs and niches. In other words what works, works and what doesn't would or will be discarded.

For those who choose a Taurus,fine. For those who don't,fine. Your the person who has the niche to be filled and the need. We will celebrate your pick regardless of the outcome of this situation. We could not do otherwise.

People here can guide you through things, but the final choice is yours and yours alone.

We wish you the best.

·
32,737 Posts
Have to add that my old Taurus 65,66, and 85CH are still great guns,working well,fit and function are excellent, and the fine accuracy has not diminished.

I now own newer model 66 in ss,a model 82, and a Rossi 462 that are performing well and have had no problems at any level or time.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Actually, I sold my SP101 back to my son-in-law. I'd told him I'd do that just to keep it out of the pawn shop. :rolleyes:, but was sorta hoping he couldn't or wouldn't want it back. LOL But, I have a 3" 66 that is almost as easy to carry, easier to shoot, and I can get better groups out of it. If I get another SP101, it'll be a 3". I liked the little rugged SP's stainless construction, but the Taurus is tight, accurate, and easier to shoot while having an extra round on tap. Only thing, the grip isn't as compact and it's a little fatter. Weight is only slightly heavier, so I have the SP's niche covered. I had a Security Six I traded away for a Blackhawk in .357. It wasn't near as accurate as my Taurus revolvers. The Blackhawk has been a great gun and I since bought another in .45 Colt, love 'me. I have a pair of Ruger P guns, a KP90DC and a P85, both great shooting guns. I have an Old Army cap and ball, the Cadillac of cap and ball revolvers. I also have a 10/22, not the most accurate .22 I own, that would be a couple of Remingtons, but a neat little stainless gun never-the-less. Yeah, I like Rugers a lot, but no better than my Tauri, depending on the job being done. The only two that I really mull over at times is whether to carry my M66 3" or my P90. The 66 is easier to tote in the summer, less bulge under a T shirt, and usually gets the call unless I'm in a .45ACP mood. LOL I have a very accurate little M511 Sportsman Rossi .22 kit gun and I have a Ruger Mk2 on which sits a 2x optic. I like BOTH of these little farts for range work. I do absolutely love shooting the Mk2, lots of fun. :D I don't think any less of the Rossi, it's iron sighted and quite accurate and is a lot easier to carry if I'm just woods bumming. The Ruger is a serious squirrel getter along with the option of a scoped .22 barrel I have for my TC Contender which is more accurate than most .22 rifles.

Yeah, I have other guns. Didn't mention my early 60's sweet Smith and Wesson M10 or my other Rossis or odd other .22s or this and that. I have 21 handguns and 20 long guns which include 5 rimfires and 5 shotguns, 5 serious hunting rifles and some mil surps. Only 3 of my firearms are Taurus. No, I don't live for Taurus, but the ones I have I really like and they shoot just as good or better than other makes and models and they're well built and fit in my collection. I just sorta chaps me when people just bash on Taurus because they're brand loyal to something else, usually Smith and Wesson which lately has had plenty of its own issues and is no better or worse than Taurus IMHO. My 4" 66 is just as well made, fitted, and functional gun as my M10 and is a little more accurate. I ain't sellin' a one and may buy others, but have a possible shotgun planned as my next purchase, I think. Still haven't made up my mind, but I want a 3.5" 12 or perhaps 10 gauge, but am still thinking Mossberg 935, though I might add another double gun if I can find the right one with 3.5" chambers. This will be strictly a waterfowl gun, though, and I like Mossbergs, have a 500. I will get the auto, though, rather than a 835 Ultimag. Autos attenuate recoil with those heavy goose loads.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Did anyone answer the question in the OP about locks? I'll just toss in that the lock on the Taurus is out of the way and works perpendicular to recoil, so it is not a problem on the Taurus. I don't even notice the lock on my M85. I lost the key a long time ago. I just make like it ain't there. :D There have been cases on the Smiths where the locks on the Sandium guns or other heavy recoil guns have locked theirselves. I think mostly it's the uber-light .357s. The action of the lock on the Smith is parallel to recoil. I can see how this would happen with the Smith. Besides, I hate the hole in the frame. The lock on my hammer goes un-noticed and quite ignored.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts