Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Taurus 85 a good pocket gun? What are some good budget revolvers that are good pocket guns?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yes. Small frame revolvers, particularly hammerless, bobbed, or concealed hammer, are good pocket guns, unless you have very small pockets.

The hidden or missing hammer does not snag on the pocket when you draw and it does not snag if you have to shoot through the pocket.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Well looks like I've made my decision. Never thought of the hammer catchin
It certainly can delay your draw from a pocket when in a hurry.

I pocket carry my 85UL in a pocket holster in any pants I have that it will fit in. I chopped the hammer spur off of mine after a few months of carry time.

·
32,704 Posts

I pocket carry my 85UL in a pocket holster in any pants I have that it will fit in. I chopped the hammer spur off of mine after a few months of carry time.

Or you can look at the CIA revolver and you'll not have to worry about the hammer spur at all.

Model: 850B2UL

Finish: Blue

Caliber: .38 SPL +P RATED

Grips: Rubber

UPC: 7-25327-60445-7
Capacity: 5
Barrel Length: 2"
Frame: Small
Front Sight: Fixed
Safety: Taurus Security System,Transfer Bar

Trigger Type: Smooth

Order #: 2-850121CIAUL

MSRP: $467.00

Rear Sight: Fixed

There is also a 650 model though for some reason the stainless models are no longer available. Taurus quite marketing them. Stainless models of the CIA series that is. I would think that stainless steel versions would be best sellers but maybe not.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Is it weird I hear angles singing when I look at this picture???

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Also look at Ruger's LCR...very nice light weight gun.

A technique when pocket carrying a gun with a hammer is to: place thumb over hammer to create a "round" shape to minimize chances of snagging. This will require a little practice but its manageable. Of course, GunsandRoses post makes a lot of sense if you don't want to be bothered with a full sized hammer on a snubby.

·
32,704 Posts
One can put their thumb over the hammer spur during the draw and that keeps the hammer spur from hanging up on anything.

Granted, some practice is needed, but it is worth the time and practice. I've gotten to the point where I do this automatically with any snub revolver I carry.

The 85 is and has been a bread and butter gun for Taurus down through the decades.

It is even recommended in police and tactical journals as a fine firearm. Several gun writers/trainers carry a 85 or one of their kin and for good reason.

Massad Ayoob and Chuck Karwan who have credentials as world class trainers have written the Gun Digest of Combat Handgunnery over the years. The Tauri are considered good picks. The reasons for that were backed up by facts. Yes, they like S&W snubs as well, but consider the Taurus 85 as a dependable gun.

So do I as my 85CH has been with me for over 25 years and still going strong.

Mine is not +P qualified, but there are many non+P rounds out there made by www.buffalobore.com, www.hornady.com,and others that will get the job done and do it well.

Oh,yes. Federal has announced that the Federal Nyclad standard pressure round is BACK in production.

P38MA

38 Special

Nyclad® HP

Premium® Personal Defense®

It's what I use in my 85CH and the 856 Hy-lite.

·
Registered
589 Posts
For me, that Federal std pressure Nyclad cartridge is in the same class as Big Foot, Loch Ness monster, and unicorns. Lot of people talk about them, even said they've seen them, but I have yet to see one in captivity, or in the wild, for that matter. :rolleyes:

One can put their thumb over the hammer spur during the draw and that keeps the hammer spur from hanging up on anything.

Granted, some practice is needed, but it is worth the time and practice. I've gotten to the point where I do this automatically with any snub revolver I carry.

The 85 is and has been a bread and butter gun for Taurus down through the decades.

It is even recommended in police and tactical journals as a fine firearm. Several gun writers/trainers carry a 85 or one of their kin and for good reason.

Massad Ayoob and Chuck Karwan who have credentials as world class trainers have written the Gun Digest of Combat Handgunnery over the years. The Tauri are considered good picks. The reasons for that were backed up by facts. Yes, they like S&W snubs as well, but consider the Taurus 85 as a dependable gun.

So do I as my 85CH has been with me for over 25 years and still going strong.

Mine is not +P qualified, but there are many non+P rounds out there made by www.buffalobore.com, www.hornady.com,and others that will get the job done and do it well.

Oh,yes. Federal has announced that the Federal Nyclad standard pressure round is BACK in production.

P38MA

38 Special

Nyclad® HP

Premium® Personal Defense®

It's what I use in my 85CH and the 856 Hy-lite.

·
32,704 Posts
I go to places like AmmoEngine: 7.62x54mm / 7.62x54mmR, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals or Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com as around here in the metro-Milwaukee area the same is true. Problem is that with ammo hoarding and the top ammo makers all fulfilling multi-million rounds contracts for the goverment for every caliber of ammo they use finding anything can be yeti, Elvis,and Rod Serling singing "You Light Up My Life" sightings like as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts