Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for something input here. I'm wanting to get a full size revolver in 38 just to have and to go to the range with. And I'm only looking in the new category. What's my best bet ?

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I really like my EAA Windicator, and have been interested in the Armscor/Rock Island M200, but do not own one yet. I do own a M82, but it is a surplus gun, 30+ years old and may not be a good representative of what they are selling now, but it is a good reliable revolver.

·
Registered
969 Posts
IMO, it's always best to get a .357 even if you only plan to shoot .38 Special unless you want to carry a 5 shot .38! Then you can include Ruger. If you want fixed sights they make the 3" GP100.;)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Neither.
Taurus has proven, to me at least, that once they have the sale they could care less about the customer. Little to no customer service or parts. Smith and Wesson has treaded on name for decades, IMHO, and is not the same company they were 40 to 50 years ago. Plus, with S & W, you pay for the name.

Like 57K, I'll take a .357 magnum. And if you have the coin for a S & W model 10, then you should really look at the Ruger GP100. Probably not a better firearm in that caliber and price range.

Reactions: 57K

·
8,897 Posts
I think you stated only looking at new revolvers - the price difference between a current S&W model 10 classic and a Taurus 82 is about $400-$500. There are plenty of used model 10's both surplus and older private owner guns for $350 or so. You might consider one of those. But if you can afford the premium price go with a S&W. The Taurus 82 is a good gun, but the S&W is just smoother and will retain its value.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Last I saw there were a bunch of foreign police trade in S&W .38s (not sure on model) available on budsgunshop. I've been tempted but they have some ugly rubber grips on them, and I don't really need a .38 only revolver.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
So I'm looking for something input here. I'm wanting to get a full size revolver in 38 just to have and to go to the range with. And I'm only looking in the new category. What's my best bet ?
I can't understand that at all. You've eliminated 99% of the finest revolvers ever made because why?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like my EAA Windicator, and have been interested in the Armscor/Rock Island M200, but do not own one yet. I do own a M82, but it is a surplus gun, 30+ years old and may not be a good representative of what they are selling now, but it is a good reliable revolver.
I think that the EAA Windicator just might be the ticket! I have the snubby version and am strongly considering the 4" .357Mag. The blued finish on my snubby is excellent (way nicer than the black matte finish that you'll get on the Taurus 82). The fit and finish are what you'd expect with German manufacturing i.e. very high quality. The EAA is available in the .38 SPL mode but as others will say, go with the .357Mag.
RE: the ArmCor M200, I've considered getting one as a range beater. A few months back, I was able to actually do a hands on evaluation (minus actually firing live ammo). After that, it was pushed to the very bottom of my "considering buying" list. Fit and finish both leave much to be desired but at the low price point, that might be expected. $200 would be the max that I would consider for the M200.
RE: the S&W model 10 you'll be expecting high quality with a matching $$$ for a new one. If it's going to be primarily a range gun, I'd save some cash for other purchases and pass on the new S&W but maybe consider a used one in the $300 ballpark.
Just sayin'.
Flex

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you want to stay with Taurus, you have the black oxide or stainless option with the M65 in .357 Magnum. Cost just slightly more than the 82. I recently added what will meet my needs with a 2013 model blue GP100 that was barely used. Shot it Tuesday with 38s and .357. In .38 with the SNS 158 gr. poly-coated SWC with 4.5 grs. of W231 and a WSPM primer. it fired a group of 10 rounds into 1.44" @ 50' for my shooting partner. Paid $400 for it, and I already know I stole it!

Before then I was considering several 4" .357s and a Sarsilmaz SR 38/357 with a 3" barrel that popped up on Gunbroker. It was very tempting but glad I held out for the GP100. For new models I've been watching the reviews at several retailer's sites and the 65s get very good reviews, and I just couldn't talk myself into a 7-shot .357 Magnum. Not from any company. The last Taurus revolver I owned was a 6-shot 66 that was compensated, felt much like a Smith M19 and was a good shooter. A 6-shot 689 back in the late 80s that had a warped forcing cone. It's replacement barrel was also warped on the forcing cone where you could see the wavy lines rather than flat. Got very frustrated with that one, but eventually it was replaced by Taurus with a stainless PT99.

I think today's Taurus revolvers are a safer bet if Taurus is like everyone else and now using CNC Machining Centers. Just wish they made 4 & 6" adj sight .357s with 6 round cylinders.;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Something I should have mentioned is that Bud's must have gotten a special deal from Rugers. Some of the standard GP100s are $100 cheaper than anyone else. The 4" Blue model is $509 with the price match request that should knock off another $10 from the cash price where they will do a money transfer from your bank account. Stainless is only $553 cash price.;)

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...5/ruger_1702_gp100_gp-141_6rd_357mag38sp_+p_4

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Something I should have mentioned is that Bud's must have gotten a special deal from Rugers. Some of the standard GP100s are $100 cheaper than anyone else. The 4" Blue model is $509 with the price match request that should knock off another $10 from the cash price where they will do a money transfer from your bank account. Stainless is only $553 cash price.;)

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...5/ruger_1702_gp100_gp-141_6rd_357mag38sp_+p_4
If they would bring back the Security Six I would probably buy a couple. Had to sell mine due to divorce about 12 years ago, really miss that gun. Anybody sees a nice Service, or Security six should buy that gun on the spot.

Reactions: Sekol and 57K

·
Registered
694 Posts
Agree with the other comments about getting a .357 even if you just want to shoot .38 at the range.

Also agree that the Ruger line of .357's is worth considering although they are not the cheapest option.

The GP100 in 3" looks like an interesting option to me.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have owned both, or close anyway. a Taurus 82 & Smith 15. My brother managed to submerge my S&W 15 in salt water without knowing it. It was in a damp gun rug. (On a sailboat) By the time he figured it out, the gun was ruint. (A Southern word) The 82 was a fine shooter, but nowhere near the class of the model 10/15 - 64/67. I'll be replacing it this year with a S&W 64. Worth every dime of difference. My 82 has gone back to Taurus twice. Still, a fine shooter when the timing isn't out.

Reactions: MOONDAWG and 57K

·
Registered
2 Posts
My blued 82 is a great shooter and no problems after thousands of rounds. Smith's are Ok but save your money to buy ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I bought my wife a lightly used Armscor M200 a number of years ago. It's an excellent shooter and has very good lock-up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a used Taurus 65, made around 2005, beautiful deep blue. I don't think they make them like that any more.
I also picked up years ago a S&W Model 10, made around 1970. A police trade in, it has honest holster wear, the price was $250.

That S&W will be around 50 years from now and still working great.
The Taurus? Who knows.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
It's great to see folks interested in revolvers in this day when slide guns seem to rule!

My advice, for whatever it's worth is do not dismiss previously owned firearms. Some of our best firearms were bought used. All manufacturers suffer from "they don't make them like they used to" syndrom! An older Ruger Security Six or Speed Six is a joy to shoot! We love old S&W model tens so much we have several of them. I really like my Taurus model 82 (maybe 6 or 7 years old), but I wish that I could find an even older one! I shoot mostly 38's so I don't care too much either way for 38 or 357.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's great to see folks interested in revolvers in this day when slide guns seem to rule!

My advice, for whatever it's worth is do not dismiss previously owned firearms. Some of our best firearms were bought used. All manufacturers suffer from "they don't make them like they used to" syndrom! An older Ruger Security Six or Speed Six is a joy to shoot! We love old S&W model tens so much we have several of them. I really like my Taurus model 82 (maybe 6 or 7 years old), but I wish that I could find an even older one! I shoot mostly 38's so I don't care too much either way for 38 or 357.
As far as comparing .38 Sp and .357 Magnum, there used to be more opinions on that when I started out and was more pro for buying a .38 Sp for loads in that caliber. There were frequent comments about 2 different rings inside the cylinder when you fired both from a .357 Magnum, and of course, they have longer cylinders. But, in practical application, where I am not a competitor in Bullseye competition, good handloads make all the difference. I haven't been much concerned about that for a good many years, and I clean my firearms between every range session and have never had any issue in using loads in .38 Sp, or loads I have made in .38 Sp length cases made from trimmed-down .357 Magnum cases that I won't get into on public forums. They have had no effect in my use of .357 Magnum rounds.

If you can learn a few tips about what to look for with a used revolver, you will find some great values. I've bought .357 Magnums used like my wife's M65 LadySmith that had been fired so little that the only logical conclusion seemed to be that someone bought a .357 Magnum, and the 3" M65 LS is certainly no heavyweight, then at their first shooting they fire full-power .357 Magnum loads and find the experience far different than their previous perception.

If you're one of the afficianado's of the .38, you may specifically want a Smith 10, 15, 64 or 67, and you'll get no argument from me because I would suspect that that type of shooter probably has a good array of different revolvers that includes some older cartridges like the .44 Sp and .45 Colt as well as .38 Sp. But for someone that only plans to buy 2 or 3, and maybe simply for different barrel lengths, I just do not feel that there's any appreciable difference in firing good handloads in .38 from a .357 Magnum. That was reinforced just last week when we took the 4" blue GP100 to the range for it's shakeout. I mentioned that in the thread about what we loaded today. In assorted and trimmed .38 Sp cases using 4.5 grs. of W231 with a WSPM primer and a good roll crimp fpr 1.465" OACL using the SNS poly-coated 158 gr. SWC it didn't take long for my SP to fire an excellent 5 round group at 50' with velocity at 833 FPS. Good enough that he fired 5 more rounds into the same target. I mentioned the overall group being 9 rounds in one elongated hole with the 10th being just outside, but upon looking again, that 9th round was slightly out of the cluster and with the 10th, the group was still 1.44". Wish I could say that I had done that, but my eyesight has been slipping on me. But when we fired at 7 yards handheld, I might have fired the best 6 rounds as far as the scoring rings.

To me, that's pretty good indication of what you can do with a good .38 Sp load firing them from a 357 Magnum, and those loads were a couple years old. The .38 Sp is a great cartridge to handload for. I didn't always do this, but I cab recommend that if you use a spherical powder that can be a little harder to ignite, you may be rewarded by using a Magnum primer. That you'll find out from your chrono stats,;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts