Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new CCW. After trying 2 S&W snubbies (637 and 638) side by side with 2 tauri (85ul and 851ul) I was impressed by how much smoother and lighter the trigger pulls of the taurs products! I plan on getting a taurus.

I almost bought the 85UL but then read about the 817UL. I LOVE the idea of 2 extra shots...but wonder how much bigger the 817 is vs the 85. My local deal did not have an 817 for me to check out. I plan on pocket carrying either gun most of the time so the extra 1/4-1/2" might be a problem!

Does anyone pocket carry the 817?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't have either an 817 or a 617 but I'd think that they would be a bit large for pants pocket carry, might work in a coat pocket. The 85/851 would work better I'd think. I have an 85 and a 650 that get pocket duty here.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have the 817 and believe me you're not going to pocket carry unless it's in cargo pants with a big side leg pocket. It is light for it's size (21oz.) but it is as big as a S&W K-frame. Remember, it is built on basically a Tracker frame. But I still love mine.

·
Super Moderator
35,674 Posts
I've had my 85UL for 10 years and love the thing. The DA trigger is about as good as a DA trigger gets IMHO. Since putting down three hogs in my hog trap with it a few weeks ago, I've named it "Hog Slayer". :D

·
32,803 Posts
Model 85s are very useful. Dedication to shooting these harder to shoot revolvers over their bigger brethren is needed. But they offer some advantages over pistols.

Simple manual of arms,easier to grasp when drawing from pocket or holster(don't make me quote Mas Ayoob,Clint Smith,Chuck Karwan, or Chuck Taylor on this ) and it's always there for carry anywhere one goes, when the bigger gun is in the locker at home. Can shoot through pockets if it's a CH or shrouded model without jamming. Have to practice this very carefully if possible and where one can. Too easy to shoot one's self or others. I use snap caps.

Long range accuracy to 50 or 100 yards can be amazing for many different brands, makes, and models of snubbies.

It has been documented well back a decade or two ago, that anyone with a snubbie is still a dangerous opponent out to some rifle range distances. There were a number of cases where snubbie wielding criminals were shot and killed at over 25 yards,closer to 50 yards or more. LEOs and civilians were taken to court or to the grand jury level.

It was proven without a doubt the accuracy and threat that a snubbie armed person was at rifle ranges approaching and up to 100 yards. Even a little beyond that.
Courts and grand juries were shown physically at the ranges and on video the snubbie's and the shooter's capabilities.

While a majority of criminals are not going to be that accurate or practice to hit at long distance there were enough cases where criminals had shot at 50- 100 yards and severely hurt or killed others with short barreled revolvers.

Thus the LEOs and civilians in all these cases were given clean records and exonerated of any wrong doing.
Major precedent for those who have to defend themselves against criminals bearing short barreled revolvers being shot at long range has been around for quite a while.

Granted, most owners of snubbies are not going to go practice or have to use their snubs at 50 or more yards. It happens enough to have to consider though.

In several recent( make that last year or so) there have been cases in Combat Handguns or police and tactical journals on just such documented cases where this has happened in recent years.

Also has been documented where civilians and LEOs had only a snub revolver and had to go up against rifle toting thugs. No back up was near by and something had to be done as people were being shot. Said civilian or off duty LEO went, engaged the perp or perps, and won.

Doesn't mean one just runs off into a situation. But for moral reasons these responders had a plan,knew how to shoot at extended ranges, and saved others and themselves from great harm or death.

Not everybody is going to make this kind of commitment to the snub nor is it expected. Nor can one practice at gun ranges at these extended ranges. Just for consideration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.