Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am a perspective buyer of a Taurus 738 TCP.

I am aware of some issues with barrel redesigns that Taurus has done on newer models to help the "Failure to Feed".
I want to make sure that I am buying one of these newer redesigned models.

I have read that A/B serial numbers are an indication of the POSSIBILITY of the older style feed ramp.
I have read mixed reviews on C serial numbers also.

I have been looking at gun reviews on Youtube and have found something that may help my purchase.

I have noticed that older videos the gun comes in a cardboard box with a pouch that has a magnetic clasp.

When I went to my local Cabelas to look at the gun they brought it out in a plastic box (Taped shut with various barcodes all over the darn thing). It did not have the pouch.

Is that a good sign that it is a newer manufactured model? Does Taurus usually put a manufacturing date anywhere on their boxes or paperwork?
Im a first time gun buyer.

As well, as far as locking the slide goes, if there is a bullet in the chamber and you lock the gun will it still fire?

Also, any recommendations on good "bulk" ammo to use to break the gun in?
Recommended cleaning kits/products?
I plan on keeping it loaded with Hornaday Zombie Max (Due to it being the Critical Defense rounds at a cheaper price)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the smae, reading all the reviews before I purchased mine. I just one the other night and it was a "C" model. Took it the the range and shot 100 rds of WWB through it with no problems. My came in the black plastic box like you are talking about. Mine cost $199 and only came with 1 mag and no holster. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: Taurus10

·
Registered
339 Posts
mine is a "C" model, 1 mag, no holster, black plastic box, for $199. it has been near flawless, i did adjust the mag a bit to get it to feed the first round reliably.

from what i have seen the Zombie Max runs about $1 more than Critical Defense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the smae, reading all the reviews before I purchased mine. I just one the other night and it was a "C" model. Took it the the range and shot 100 rds of WWB through it with no problems. My came in the black plastic box like you are talking about. Mine cost $199 and only came with 1 mag and no holster. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend them to anyone.
The one Im looking at buying is at Cabelas. $220, same as yours. Although I havent been able to look at the serial number. Im hoping when I go there Monday (My 21st woot woot!) they will let me strip the gun to look at the feed ramp.

mine is a "C" model, 1 mag, no holster, black plastic box, for $199. it has been near flawless, i did adjust the mag a bit to get it to feed the first round reliably.

from what i have seen the Zombie Max runs about $1 more than Critical Defense.
What do you mean mag adjustment?
Also, at Cabelas right now they have the Hornaday Z-Max for $17 per box for .380. Hornaday Critical Defense was On Sale (Temporary) for $19 per box for .380. Considering the only difference is that the CDs have a Nickel Plating on them, Im just gonna save the $$$ and get Z-Max while they are available.

sazyario, welcome to the forum!
Thank you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got mine at Cabela's last Saturday, one mag, no pouch, $219.99 and it's a high number 'B' series.

It's currently en route to to Taurus for a take down pin that likes to remove itself from the gun. Only one failure to feed in approximately 165 rounds, could have been me, could have been the gun, who knows, but since it's intended purpose is concealed carry, I'm letting Taurus handle fixing it.

Gun does not like hand racking the first round initially, but got better with break in. Other than the one FTF (Federal range ammo) it cycled and fired Winchester and Federal range ammo, Gold Dots, and Remington Home Defense ammo without a hitch.

Great shooting gun, accurate at close range and much better than the LCP I sold.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Personally, I would not make my first pistol purchase a small auto like a TCP 738. Start with a larger auto, they are much more forgiving and better as a learning tool on how to shoot. The small auto is so much more dependent on the shooter (and ammo) than the larger autos. You could very easily suffer reliability issues for no other reason than your stance and shooting technique are off. JMHO.

My understanding is that the new packaging is part of a cost cutting move by Taurus to make certain models cheaper than their competition. As such the blue TCP 738 is retailing at $179 and $199 for the stainless steel model. This is not a sale price, but some dealers are charging above suggested retail. As you have noticed they have dropped the pouch and also the second magazine. Don't know if this signifies the "C" model 738 since we don't know when the change in packaging kicked in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I would not make my first pistol purchase a small auto like a TCP 738. Start with a larger auto, they are much more forgiving and better as a learning tool on how to shoot. The small auto is so much more dependent on the shooter (and ammo) than the larger autos. You could very easily suffer reliability issues for no other reason than your stance and shooting technique are off. JMHO.

My understanding is that the new packaging is part of a cost cutting move by Taurus to make certain models cheaper than their competition. As such the blue TCP 738 is retailing at $179 and $199 for the stainless steel model. This is not a sale price, but some dealers are charging above suggested retail. As you have noticed they have dropped the pouch and also the second magazine. Don't know if this signifies the "C" model 738 since we don't know when the change in packaging kicked in.
I appreciate your insight.
However, a major decision in this gun purchase is 1) Price (Under $250) 2) Concealment
I plan on getting my CPL (Michigan) within a few months.

There arent many reliable places for me to buy guns where I'm at. I called the local gun shop (Magnum Force in Monroe, MI) and they wanted $260 for the same 738 TCP in Pink.
Im not trusting of buying a used gun. I dont want to buy someone elses headache.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Then I would think about the 709 Slim which has dropped in price to $269. You can still easily CC this pistol and it is a lot more forgiving as you learn.

·
Registered
36,454 Posts
Hello, I am a perspective buyer of a Taurus 738 TCP.

I have read that A/B serial numbers are an indication of the POSSIBILITY of the older style feed ramp.
I have read mixed reviews on C serial numbers also.
When I went to my local Cabelas to look at the gun they brought it out in a plastic box (Taped shut with various barcodes all over the darn thing). It did not have the pouch.
As well, as far as locking the slide goes, if there is a bullet in the chamber and you lock the gun will it still fire?
The newest model will be the C model, they began with A number serial numbers, went to B serial numbers and now are at C model serial numbers.
I assume by locking the slide you are referring to the Taurus security system?
I never use it and could be wrong but I don't think that you can engage the security system with a round in the chamber?
the purpose for the system is to secure the weapon when its stored, not when carrying it or that you may need to use the weapon.
Now if you are talking about locking the slide back, well if you pull the slide back then it should throw the cartridge in the chamber out, so you got no boolet in the gun to use it?
even desipe this there woudl be a lot of lint,grit, debris that would/could enter the chamber/ejection port and cause problems, especially if you carried it in your pocket.
not really sure exactly what you ae talking about in that regard?
are you talking about the slide locking open after the last round in the magazine is fired?

·
Registered
36,454 Posts
Then I would think about the 709 Slim which has dropped in price to $269. You can still easily CC this pistol and it is a lot more forgiving as you learn.
OR a 70 something REVOLVER!
But alas to each his own, we must all learn at some point in our journeys!
its kind of like skiing, we all have to practice to get better, very few are born shooters or skiers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, the TCP isn't a good pistol to begin with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The newest model will be the C model, they began with A number serial numbers, went to B serial numbers and now are at C model serial numbers.
I assume by locking the slide you are referring to the Taurus security system?
I never use it and could be wrong but I don't think that you can engage the security system with a round in the chamber?
the purpose for the system is to secure the weapon when its stored, not when carrying it or that you may need to use the weapon.
Now if you are talking about locking the slide back, well if you pull the slide back then it should throw the cartridge in the chamber out, so you got no boolet in the gun to use it?
even desipe this there woudl be a lot of lint,grit, debris that would/could enter the chamber/ejection port and cause problems, especially if you carried it in your pocket.
not really sure exactly what you ae talking about in that regard?
are you talking about the slide locking open after the last round in the magazine is fired?
Im talking about the key supplied by Taurus to lock the slide from traveling back.
No one has really stated (In video and blog reviews) on whether it also stops the trigger from letting the hammer activate.

I haven't bought the gun yet. Now Im starting to 2nd guess my decision in buying this gun...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OR a 70 something REVOLVER!
But alas to each his own, we must all learn at some point in our journeys!
its kind of like skiing, we all have to practice to get better, very few are born shooters or skiers.
The issues is local availability vs. price sold.
There are only 3 gun stores I know of that I can trust to buy from in approx 20 mile radius from where I live (South Eastern Michigan).
Cabelas is the only one who sells guns based on the MSRP. The other 2 gun stores jack their prices up.
Ive looked into Revolvers, Id consider purchasing a Pre-Owned Revolver, because there are almost no mechanicle parts to go wrong with. But as far as a SemiAuto pistol goes, I'd only buy new. And am limited in selection by my budget (College Student).

·
Registered
36,454 Posts
Im talking about the key supplied by Taurus to lock the slide from traveling back.
No one has really stated (In video and blog reviews) on whether it also stops the trigger from letting the hammer activate.

I haven't bought the gun yet. Now Im starting to 2nd guess my decision in buying this gun...
I don't have my TCP near me right now so can't look, but from memory I think it simply locks the slide.
I beleive that if you shot the gun with it on then likely it would destroy it.
again the security systm is for when it is stored to prevent children and such from playing with it.
and understand that when we remark that this is not a good gun for beginner, we mean ANY of the micro sized semi autoes, not just this one.
Dollar for dollar i think the TCP is the best buy on the market in a pocket 380.
BUt any extremly small pistol is going to be harder to operate and more affected by user error.
revolvers on the other hand if it don't fire then normally just pulling the trigger again takes care of that, not so with semi autoes.
they can and do work well if the user takes time to practice and learn the weapon and a lot of them are sold every year.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There is a revolver inspection list, good for any revolver new or used. Towards the bottom of the page the whole thing is pasted so you don't need the link.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/15648-revolver-buyers-checklist.html

But you should be able to find a Taurus Slim or Millennium Pro within your budget and even a used one should be a safe bet with the Taurus lifetime warranty. Only thing with the warranty is if the pistol is over a year old, you pay shipping. Even then I had Taurus pick up the shipping on one that was a couple of years old. I guess sometimes it just depends who's on the phone. But unless you have someone who can teach you the basics on their full-size auto pistol, I would recommend against a micro semi auto pistol as a first pistol, because they can be fickle. The 709 and the PT-111 are both still small enough for CC and the 9mm is a much cheaper and easier to find round. My youngest son I taught to shoot with my PT-111 Mil Pro and he's a pretty good shot now.

Be sure and inspect any pistol you buy, new or used and if anything doesn't look right or you just don't feel right about, pass on it. I've been known to ask to see 3 or 4 before I found one I liked. Ask the salesperson to show you how to field strip the pistol, then carefully look over the parts and let them put it back together. And I even do this on Internet orders. I don't accept the gun until after I inspect it and if I find something wrong, the FFL sends it back for another. It is not yours until you accept it. This is just good general advice.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts

I just checked my newly purchased TCP. With the lock in the rear of the frame activated, the slide will move back only about 1/4" and more importantly, the trigger will not release the hammer. The trigger will only move a fraction, but will not move even close to half travel let alone full travel when locked. So, the TCP will not fire with the key lock activated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1....starting out shooting with a TCP is kinda-like learning to drive with a lightweight high-power sports car......you can do it but there are easier ways to start....

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea, what he said

·
Registered
36,454 Posts
I just checked my newly purchased TCP. With the lock in the rear of the frame activated, the slide will move back only about 1/4" and more importantly, the trigger will not release the hammer. The trigger will only move a fraction, but will not move even close to half travel let alone full travel when locked. So, the TCP will not fire with the key lock activated.
And now we know the whole story!
thanks Chich

1 - 20 of 48 Posts