Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is looking for a revolver for CCW that has less of a kick than his S&W air weight .38 and is something that my mother, 69 yoa, can shoot if she has to. She doesn't have the strongest hands. I suggested the 731 since it is a .32 Mag (fairly decent ballistics) with a ported barrel. Recoil should not be a problem for her. There are not any 731s in stock around here (can order it) so she cannot test the trigger. Since it shares the same frame as the 85, I thought that it might have a similar trigger pull, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone advise on the trigger pull of the 731 as compared to an 85? Also, who makes a good belt/paddle holster for it? Will the Fobus holster for the 85 fit it? It's not listed on thier compatibility chart.

I also suggested a small caliber Millennium PRO (3rd gen) in .32 or .380. While the SA/DA trigger should be easy for her, recoil becomes and issue. Can anyone advise how the recoil is on these? My PT-145 is not bad, but I'm not a 69 year old woman with a touch of arthritis, and I would never recommend my Kel Tec .380 for her to shoot.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Does your father like his J frame beyond the recoil? If so, what about shifting to a steel framed gun? Adding larger grips (depending on what he already has) and/or finding a gun with a 3" barrel will decrease the recoil. Plus there are lesser recoiling loads that are still effective (Corbon's DPX comes to mind as one example).

Its a bit more of a cash outlay but you can also get a gun ported to reduce the recoil, but that opens up a different can of worms due to the ports re-directing muzzle blast/flame/gas upwards. This has been discussed previously here. If you want to look into this more, I'd go with Magna-port if it was me. http://www.magnaport.com/

I'd suggest staying with a 38 if possible due to much better ammo availability and more R&D with the loads.

Steelheart

1 - 2 of 2 Posts