Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted your opinion on if you think that it would be a good tradeoff going from the SA XD subcompact to a Taurus 709. There is a bit of difference in the width. I think about a quarter of an inch. I need something slimmer which is why I was looking at the 709 in the 9mm. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I carry wither a 709 or a Ruger LC9 off duty in an IWB holster. Both have been utterly reliable, and so slim as not to be noticed as there is no large tell-tale "bulge" on my hip.

I may be supplementing my 709 with a 740.

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
I'd try the PT111 first, then the PT709.

Their weight is almost identical, the PT111 is only about 1/8th of an inch wider then the PT709.

Yet it holds a respectable 12+1 pay load. :D

All of this is what sold me on buying more than one PT111...and did I mention they're 100% reliable and accurate too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also forgot to mention that I will be using an IWB for concealed carry. The SA XD subcompact just sticks out too much for me.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I wasn't able to get used to the difference in width when I traded my XD for a 709. Ended up trading the 709 in for a Ruger SR9c.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I would second the take a look at the PT111. On paper the differences between the 709 and XD9 won't tell the whole story. Also as mentioned the Ruger SR9c is a nice pistol, however I sold mine and went with a SR40c. Another good CCW is the Sig 250 subcompact. OH MAN, There are just to many to choose from!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm helping my father evaluate his options and since he's on the short and thin side like me, I've been nudging him in the direction of the single stack 9's. That gives him the options of the 709, LC9, Keltec PF9, Kimber Solo, Kahr PM9 ... Did I get them all correctly? I don't think I missing anything. I have the 709 and I had some FTE issues early on, but if I keep it clean (less than 100 round of "Dirt") I can't remember the last time it failed in any way. But I got it before the LC9 came out and to be honest, I'd probably have a hard time choosing between them today. The LCR seems to have smoother lines which might make it print less for guys like me who are 5'8" and 160 lbs. But I'd think the 709 would be a huge improvement in concealment from the XD.

Reactions: jeffrovation

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you are looking for pistols to compare to the 709 Slim, then you should look at the Kahr line. I recently picked up a Kahr CW-40 and I have a close friend who has a CW-9. I compared the 740 to the CW-40 when I purchased the CW-40 and the Kahr is slightly thinner than the Slim. And the Kahr CW series has been on sale. I got my CW-40 for $339 which was only $17 more than the 740 Slim.

The Kahr CM-9, Ruger LC-9, Kel-Tec PF-9, and Kimber Solo are in another smaller class than the 709/CW-9. They are much smaller and lighter and will be very hard to control, if you have large hands. I would suggest you fire them before making any choice on any of these. The Kimber Solo is almost impossible to get due to slow production rates at Kimber (and there is much speculation as to why that is). I have a friend who got one of the first ones out, when they were retailing at $650, not the current $750 and he absolutely loved it. He was joking that he would sell it for the first $900 he was offered when someone laid out 9 crisp $100 bills and took it. Now he has a Kahr CM-9 which he really likes, at half the original price of the Solo.

My mantra on a carry gun is to get the smallest package that you can consistently control, shoot well and is totally reliable in your hands. The size of that package depends on the cartridge that you are shooting and feel that, if you put the bullet where you aim, it will do the job for you. I have a 738 that I feel very confident with, a PT-111 MilPro that I feel even better about, and now a Kahr CW-40 that carries better than the PT-111, yet delivers an even more potent load. I have to get out to the range with it to see if it can match my criteria of reliability, control and accuracy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is that little switch looking thing on the side of the 709? I can't figure out what it is. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I think he is talking about the disassembly lever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the disassembly lever. I have just been used to a pin disassembly lever. Is there any difference with this one? I have never seen one like this. Do you just push it up when the slide is rearward to take the slide off? Thanks

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You follow whatever the instructions in the manual say to do and you can download the manual from Taurus if you want to read about it. The advantage is, you don't have a pin to lose.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
2. Hold the pistol in the right or left
hand in such a way that four fingers rest
over the slide and thumb rests on the
rear of the grip. Using the fingers draw
back the slide about 1/8”. With the
other hand pull disassembly latch
down. Release slide. Release
disassembly latch

OH, and even with those latches, I struggle some times to get the slide off. Be patient!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The slide on my 709 was a little tough to remove, I can remember having to pull the trigger once the slide was about 1/4-1/2" forward.

The Kahr (just about any polymer-framed Kahr) and the Ruger LC9 are about the only 9mm semi-auto pistols that are going to be comparable in size to a 709. The 709 has a very slim grip, but the slide is quite a bit thicker than the Kahr. Kahr has several similar models at different price points. The CW series being the lowest price point. The CM is in the middle. The PM is the highest price point. The CM and PM are slightly smaller (the barrel/slide and grip are both shorter than the CW). Other differences include type of rifling and level of machining on the slide. I still haven't held a LC9 for comparison, as I already have a pistol to fill this niche.

For me the CW9 was the best choice. The trigger of the CW9 is my only gripe with it, but I have gotten used to it now. The trigger pull is long and heavy with a long reset, although it is very smooth and consistent.

Lots of people here love the 709, but it just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have the XD 9sc, the PT111 and the 709... all have been very good and based on the hot Texas weather the 709 spends a lot more time IWB or in the pocket. I prefer the thumb safety over the XD back strap type safety.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
On paper (notably the Taurus catalogue) the 709 and PT111 seem similar in weight.
They are not.
Although Taurus says the PT111 weighs 18 OZ, the true weight is 24 OZ.

I have both and both have been utterly reliable, but you'll also want to consider the difference in sights on the two pistols.

·
32,481 Posts
Being a pleasantly somewhat plump guy :) I also own both the PT111 and the 709.

For belt carry either for IWB or OWB I find the 709 easier to carry and draw. I'm also a short person.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Hmmmmm....did anyone notice the new "slim" .45 Auto SA XD that is being shown at the SHOT Show? Slide is less than an inch wide and weight is on par with the 709/740.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts