Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread to try and consolidate reports of which holsters work with the new 709 pistol and which ones don't.

(although off topic from myself..., I cannot resist adding a photo of the 709 in comparison to a Walther P22. The Slim is essentially the same size as the P22 in every dimension, but far smoother under the clothes both to skim and to other people's eyes... plus it delivers about 3x the energy)

I've seen a few requests and information on other threads, but they are mixed in with all the other chatter about this new gun. I'm particularly interested in holsters for concealed carry.

So, fellow 709 owners please share your findings on which Holsters work with this new gun.

Personally, I've only tried out the Blackhawk Nylon AMBI 3-slot pancake holster, size 04. Says it was sized for Glock 26/27 and subcompact 9mm. Holds the gun real well, and great (for me) over the kidney. Stiil, a good IWB would work out far better with shorts.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine fits well in an Uncle Mike's size 15 IWB holster.

The grip rides just above my belt and conceals very well

Reactions: chrislind2

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an Uncle Mikes #2 regular holster for my walther P22 and it also fits the 709 like a glove. And you are correct about triple the energy. I have no experience with IWB holsters so i can't comment on that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a P22 and it's almost the same size as the 709 but Don Hume leather molded holsters designed for the P22 don't fit. The Don Hume model 715M size 30C IWB holster designed for Sig P239 fits 709 well. Don Humes Glock 26 holster however brings the 709 out of battery (in other words, pulls the slide back)

iv been carrying my 709 in the 715MW 30C since Saturday when I can (not near work) and it feels pretty much like the p22 I had been toting around. It's just a little bit heavier but far less jaggy on the skin and I think it's much harder to spot vs the pointy tail end of that Walther.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wouldn't you love a good Kydex holster IWB for the 709 Slim now?

I am thinking about ordering a Bianchi Professional 100 IWB for a Glock 26/27 to see if it fits the 709, those are great holsters, I use them for my Colt Commander, Taurus 905, and Makarov.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Kydex would be nice. I've been getting pretty sweaty and hadn't been thinking about my excercise + texas humidity + blue steel until now.

Oh well, at least I got an excuse to fondle my 709
more often to give it some CLP TLC.

For others who recently purchased a slim, I say
you may be best served with the cheap nylon holsters until
enough of these guns are sold to make a market for custom rig.

Then again, I've got another new favorite holster: my "cargo shorts" in camo with a wadded up Kroger bad that both pads the gun on my thigh and breaks up the outline. Doesn't interfere with the draw.

Somehow I have been invisible to panhandlers -- think I'm printing?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the PT709 but no holster seems to fit and the gun stores I have visited have never seen the PT709 much less have any ideas on holsters. What else besides the Uncle Mikes # 2 have yall found to use??

·
Registered
213 Posts
No one it seems is making holsters for the 709. I called Galco this morning, and asked, they have no plans to start, and unless lots of people start requesting it, they probably wont. So, send in your requests.

I did ask if any of their IWB for other pistols would perhaps work, but of course due to liability, they said no, but wondering if either a Walther PPS holster or a PF9 holster would work..the trigger guard is the issue.

What do you think?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The dimensions of the Kahr P9 and the Taurus PT709 are very similar, with the main difference being that the Kahr P9's barrel is 3.5 inches long whereas the PT709 is 3.2 (I think) inches long. Length, height, and width are all almost the same. If this information is indeed true then I am assuming that any holster for the Kahr P9 will also work for the Taurus PT709? What do yall think?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sassi

That sounds good, but be aware the trigger guard is entirely different in length and shape,, that can make a big difference in how a pistol seats and stays in the holster.

I have some IWB holsters I used with my Kahr P40, and tried them with the 709, and they would not insert due to the trigger guard, worked okay with the Kahr.

This holster company perhaps would make a custom holster ? for the Slim.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good points! Thanks. I sent them an email. I have contacted several holster makers but nobody has done one yet for the PT709 that I at least have had any contact with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got the following back in an email. They said "Check back with us in around 2 weeks - we are in the process of getting the mold for the PT709." Progress!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sent an email request to Kholster about a 709 holster and got this reply:

"Yep. Order a Crescent for a Mil Pro and put a note in the Special Instructions Section about your gun model and we’ll get you covered."

Also, my Brother-In-Law gave me a 380 Ace Case tuckable IWB hoster for my LCP. It was too big for the LCP but it's a pretty good fit for the 709. (Unfortunatley, it's a left-handed holster)

It looks to be a size "B" and they have them in left and right hand for $14 on the Ace Case web site. (Maybe cheaper somewehere else) Dispite the big leather tab the belt clip is attached to, it conceals pretty good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just got a return email on an inquiry from crossbreed. Mark says they should have a mold in a couple of weeks and the minituck will most likely be available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
after the gym shooting last week, i ordered a galco thighband that i plan on wearing under my baggy gym shorts. hopefully the 709 will fit ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Uncle Mike's IWB holster size 12 for concealed carry and it fits great as well.  I am pretty broke right now due to the recent gun purchase so it was nice to find a cheap holster that works well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kholster and Crossbreed both have molds now for the 709. I got the Kholster.

1 - 20 of 637 Posts