Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus 709 Slim - Fully automatic???

12K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am not sure if anyone has encountered this particular problem. I got my 709 a few weeks back, and today was the first time I took it to the range. I thoroughly cleaned the gun before going to the range. I was usual 115 target load. I fired about 30 rounds no problem. After few sight adjustments I had a silver coin at 10 yards. All good right? Not so much - this is when the problem began... I noticed all of sudden it started, as I pulled the trigger it would discharge 2 bullets at a time. The first couple times, I just thought that maybe I was just pulling the trigger really fast, the problem escalated further. Now, if you fired, it would discharge all of the 7 bullets in the magazine. I was shooting the ceiling at the range. So now this pistol has become fully automatic... I am waiting to speak with a customer service, has anyone seen this problem before?

#2 ·
Sounds a bit dangerous.

But let us know what the issue was, I may want to duplicate that someday. :)

But seriously, I don't know the inside workings of them too much so can't offer any solutions or such. I'm sure there is some reason why this couldn't happen, but what if the firing pin channel was gunked up and the pin was stuck "out". So everytime the slide went into battery it hit the primer and continued through the mag..? But really I have no idea how this could happen.

#3 ·
I no longer own a 709 but do visit this section occasionally.
Yes there has in my opinion been quite a few of these same problems occuring in the 709.
and actually 1 occurence is to many, I can think of yours being the third in the last say 2-3 weeks.
if these are reported here then likely there are a great many more that are not being reported except to Taurus.
IF memory serves and you can check the post but I think each occurence the gun had the sear assembly replaced.
I am sure that you know but if not!
unload the weapon and do not attempt to use it until it has been repaired, this is a very, very , very dangerous situation.

Reactions: darbo
#4 ·
DO NOT FIRE THAT WEAPON AGAIN! You have a little machine gun there and even if you're prepared to hold on it's way too hard to control. It must go back to Miami. They will fix it and learn from it how to prevent that from happening to their popular little pistol.

#19 ·
That's good advice.

Two guesses as to what might be happening. I don't own a 709, but years ago in the military 3 weapons more than other sometimes went "full auto" -- the M1 and M14s, and the .45 pistol. Although the internals are way different, both have a sear in the trigger mechanism whose job it is to hold the hammer back until the trigger is pressed. If the sear is broken on an M1/M14, it will just bang through a full clip--just like a BAR. On the .45 it's a tad different. If the sear just breaks off, no problem, as the hammer follows the slide back into battery but doesn't fire (usually). If the sear is badly worn, it may hold the hammer when it comes back, but when the slide bangs it's way back into battery, it jars the sear loose, freeing the hammer and it will fire.

I'd guess it's similar to something like that. But it' still got to go back!

#6 ·
There have been several posts recently describing a similar problem. See "709 runaway" just below this thread. Perhaps the firing pin is not retracting after the first shot, & then fires subsequent rounds as the slide slams home? In any case, a dangerous issue - Taurus should be responsible for getting it back & fixing it.

#7 ·
You did remove the firing pin and clean out the firing pin channel right? Sometimes they can get gunked up and cause hang fires.

#12 ·
Really!?

That means my PT-709 is now worth as much as a H&K MP-5, no doubt!

If only I could find a 30 round mag for it however.

#13 ·
well who knows exactly what the problem may be until you could take the weapon down and inspect.
Hang fires can occur but are extremely unusual even in very dirty pistols, between the recoil and the firing pin spring trying to run it back out of the firing pin hole its difficult for a firing pin to remain in the breech face to cauue a slam fire.
A sear or disconector that fails to reset is a more likley place to begin looking i would think.
In any regards don't mess with the gun, contact taurus and return it to them to take care of.
as long as the 709 has been out I would think they got some bad parts and like bananas they come in bunches!

#16 · (Edited)
My 709 did the same thing, see here. They fixed it by replacing ALL kinds of parts (Trigger bar, Sear, Firing pin spring, broken safety, and I am pretty sure even the slide was different when I got it back.) Worked flawless after that, until about 3 weeks later when I saw the crack in the frame, see here.

I am hoping the cracked frame (As well as all those broken parts) are the result of the sheer amount of violence that the weapon went through when it was full auto tearing stuff up.

Customer service has been very professional, polite, and apologetic which is only appropriate considering that the first time the gun went back, it beat the warranty card to Florida. They have sent mine to the review board and are going to replace it (probably). I am going to give it one final chance because I actually LOVE this gun. When it was right it was very right and just felt good.

Although I'm not very happy about this purchase, they can still redeem themselves by making it right (and I'm sure they will for me as well as the rest of us.) and all will be forgiven.

I would love to find someone in the MOV area of WV wanting to talk trade on a Judge. Now that's a weapon that I can admire ;)

Sorry I got long winded there. Slow day today.

Edit: Just wanted to add that on my initial phone call, they said it was the sear, not the trigger bar.

#17 ·
Not bad mouthing the bull company but really you would kind of think that anyone that got a full automatic weapon could likely bypass the dreaded review board!
get that puppy back in house, smash it to bits, reissue a brand spanking new weapon (after testing the devil out of it for any problem) and back in the hands of the customer and hope it makes them happy!
Heck throw in 2 extra magazines or a coupon for 2 boxes of free ammo!
No-NO-NO, now i have already explained that i can not accept the CEO position at Taurus!

#21 ·
OH and don't forget to pick up that little old federal stamp for a class three weapon.
well unless you like eating a lot of beans and having a room mate named " Big Daddy Rap" that you also have to wash his clothes for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.