Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here, just picked her up. First taurus and first wheel gun, and i hear these are pretty stout and reliable. I feel i got her for a fair price, cant wait to take her out. I have looked at a few holsters online, but am curious if there are any holsters for S&W that will work for this? Looking to use as an EDC.

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
Congrats on the 689 ! I owned one back when they made them, and it's my single greatest gun regret - I traded it in for a semi-auto in a moment of weakness. I bought mine sometime in the early 90's and I think they made them until the late 90's or the early 00's. Very good guns, and it looks like you got a really nice looking one.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
The 689 is fabulous! Congratulations!!

Reactions: dpish

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
Yep, back when gun makers knew how to blue a gun. :drool:

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,585 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nice revolver, great pickup! I never bought one because the blue model I did buy had a warped forcing cone. Sent it Taurus for repairs, and after taking a few months they replaced it with another barrel that had a warped forcing cone. I was tempted to get a stainless model later but just couldn't talk myself into one.

Holsters might be a bit tricky because the 689 is essentially the same size as a K-Frame Smith. Same size cylinder. Very few K-Frame Smiths had a full length barrel underlug. The best option might be polymer that has a larger barrel area that wouldn't be a factor. I'm very pleased with the last Safariland polymer I bought, but it's an autoloader retention holster. They do make a synthetic for revolvers so there would definitely be one for K-Frame Smiths. Maybe look at their fitment chart to see if the 689 is listed as compatible.;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice revolver, great pickup! I never bought one because the blue model I did buy had a warped forcing cone. Sent it Taurus for repairs, and after taking a few months they replaced it with another barrel that had a warped forcing cone. I was tempted to get a stainless model later but just couldn't talk myself into one.

Holsters might be a bit tricky because the 689 is essentially the same size as a K-Frame Smith. Same size cylinder. Very few K-Frame Smiths had a full length barrel underlug. The best option might be polymer that has a larger barrel area that wouldn't be a factor. I'm very pleased with the last Safariland polymer I bought, but it's an autoloader retention holster. They do make a synthetic for revolvers so there would definitely be one for K-Frame Smiths. Maybe look at their fitment chart to see if the 689 is listed as compatible.;)

Thank you, will definitely look.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
​Any Uncle Mike's® #2 holster will fit your 689SS4.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Had a stainless one in 6" about 10 years ago.
Still kicking myself for trading it away.
Best revolver I ever had.
Better than any S&W or Colt I ever owned.
Locked up like a bank vault.

AFS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts