Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tinkering with the idea of getting one of these next.

Taurus 2660041 Mod 66 357 RemMag 4" 7rd Adj Sight

Are there any real known issues with this model?

I searched for aftermarket wood grips and the seem like nothing is available. Am I missing someplace that has them for a decent price?

Thanks,,,,

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Probably the most solid Taurus built. I have two older ones. They've been around for a while. The newer ones are heavy, more of an L frame size and won't fit a K frame holster as does the 80s and older models. Good shooting guns, though, and recoil even with heavy loads is not an issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I really would like an older one. Not a fan of the dull finish and lock on the new ones, but no luck finding a used one for sale.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I just picked one up last week. Not a fan of the matte bluing myself, however, for what I paid, I'm not arguing.

The only known issue is a few left the factory with an improperly machined hand, throwing the timing off. Mine had just gotten back to the shop from Taurus, and no other issues so far.

Pre-lock Taurus are becoming like pre-lock S&W's. Anyone that has one isn't getting rid of it cheap.

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
I searched for aftermarket wood grips and the seem like nothing is available. Am I missing someplace that has them for a decent price?

Thanks,,,,
Au contraire ! :D Hogue makes all kinds of grips for this gun, which I have on my stainless 66. An ebay search will turn up grips as well, and for much cheaper than the Hogues. You might check Altamont grips too, I think they carry them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Au contraire ! :D Hogue makes all kinds of grips for this gun, which I have on my stainless 66. An ebay search will turn up grips as well, and for much cheaper than the Hogues. You might check Altamont grips too, I think they carry them as well.
I looked at Altamont as I have them on my 850UL. I did not see any listed for the 66. I did see a bunch on eBay straight out of Tiawan. I will look at Houge

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just picked one up last week. Not a fan of the matte bluing myself, however, for what I paid, I'm not arguing.

The only known issue is a few left the factory with an improperly machined hand, throwing the timing off. Mine had just gotten back to the shop from Taurus, and no other issues so far.

Pre-lock Taurus are becoming like pre-lock S&W's. Anyone that has one isn't getting rid of it cheap.
I had a S/W 586 about 20 years ago that I am kicking myself for selling it. Any thing pre lock is best. At least the matte finish will match my 850UL

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
On ebay, there are a number of vendors from Thailand that sell wood grips for the M 65/66. Just ask them and they'll steer you to what you need.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Only problem with the Model is the fun factor shooting it. Gets pretty addicting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On ebay, there are a number of vendors from Thailand that sell wood grips for the M 65/66. Just ask them and they'll steer you to what you need.
All the ones on eBay say med/large frame 6 shot. Are those the ones that fit a 7 shot also?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
My Taurus 66 is the best of the bunch when it comes to the Taurus handguns I own. It is
very accurate and has a smooth trigger. I have shot hundreds of rounds with it without
any issues. It is the handgun me and my wife both used to qualify for our concealed carry
permits. It would be hard to go wrong with a Taurus 66 if you are going to buy a revolver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Believe it or not I only paid $200 for the Model 66. It was a 'Boyfriend deal'. She had this revolver from a past life and she was raising $$ for a new vehicle. And yes, we're still together.

I know I'll hit what I'm shooting at with the 66. Just enough recoil to let you know you're using .357's.

It's a stable mate with my 2.75" Ruger Redhawk Model 5033 8 round .357.

Attachments

·
8,900 Posts
The Taurus model 66 is one of Taurus's best handguns, similar in reputation to the little model 85. You could spend $250 more and get an overbuilt Ruger tank, or $400 more and get a Smith. But if you want a great entry level wheel gun Taurus is usually a great choice. Another Manuf is EAA and Charter, both of which may not be up to the quality of the Taurus, also the Taurus normally has a great trigger out of the box. Go ahead and get one, we all love those pics and range reports. Good luck on your grip search. Don't be afraid to spend more than you like to get a handsome and functional grip. It will make you smile each time you handle it, and will enhance the saleability (is thart a word?) later on.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I love Hogue's grips and how they work for me. Personal tastes I suppose. I have the rubber versions on both my 66s and my S&W M10.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
The Taurus model 66 is one of Taurus's best handguns, similar in reputation to the little model 85. You could spend $250 more and get an overbuilt Ruger tank, or $400 more and get a Smith. But if you want a great entry level wheel gun Taurus is usually a great choice. Another Manuf is EAA and Charter, both of which may not be up to the quality of the Taurus, also the Taurus normally has a great trigger out of the box. Go ahead and get one, we all love those pics and range reports. Good luck on your grip search. Don't be afraid to spend more than you like to get a handsome and functional grip. It will make you smile each time you handle it, and will enhance the saleability (is thart a word?) later on.
I got rid of a Security Six and a M19 and kept the better shooting Taurus 66, personally. :D I later bought its sibling, my 3" 66. I gave 180 bucks for the 3", 200 for the 4", but this was a while back. They were both gun show finds.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Can’t say much different than what the others have said except to say that I never really appreciated the trigger on my 66 until I picked up my GP100 and then my 150 series Security Six a couple of weeks ago. There just isn’t any comparison. I consider the 66 what the Smiths should have been. Lines, accuracy... portabilit. It is my best conceal carry piece (hides the best) over any of my other full sized firearms. Only one that conceals better is my PT22. Something comforting about it.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I love my Model 66. It is a blued 4" 1989 6 round version. The 66 is my car revolver and when I carry the 66, it's cross draw. Accurate, dependable and of all my firearms it's the one I'd pick.
*in the Terminator voice*

I need your grips. give them to me now.

:p

I'll have to dig again, however, there were several models built on the same frame. I'm looking for the traditional checkered grips like the old models have.

Reactions: SpudForce and AZM66
1 - 20 of 48 Posts