Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After firing 6 357 loads my yoke screw come loose and when i tighten it it looks like it is little binds with crane not too much but very little it is binding when swinging crane upward and downward i dont know if its is factory fitted on that position or it has another issue
Should i use nail polish as a loctite ?

· Registered
38 Posts
Common problem. A DIY fix. It will bind on either the screws length or its tip out side diameter. Look really close at both areas for some hard scuffing. If its the face of the tip, file a tiny bit off and try it. If it is the diameter where the threads start (more common) , put the head of the screw in a hand drill snugly with the screw end sticking out and centered when you spin it. Put a good file in a vice and spin the last thread off the shank tip. That should get rid of the binding thread on the crane or yoke as some call it. DO Not lock tight that screw. The screws are soft and you will bugar it up upon removal in the future cleanings.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common problem. A DIY fix. It will bind on either the screws length or its tip out side diameter. Look really close at both areas for some hard scuffing. If its the face of the tip, file a tiny bit off and try it. If it is the diameter where the threads start (more common) , put the head of the screw in a hand drill snugly with the screw end sticking out and centered when you spin it. Put a good file in a vice and spin the last thread off the shank tip. That should get rid of the binding thread on the crane or yoke as some call it. DO Not lock tight that screw. The screws are soft and you will bugar it up upon removal in the future cleanings.
Ok sir i understood but before its just work fine but now it causing issue like binding crane and also it came loose after few shots i dont know why

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Product Automotive tire Font Screenshot Rectangle
also my yoke screw is this style design not spring plunger type

· Registered
32 Posts
After firing 6 357 loads my yoke screw come loose and when i tighten it it looks like it is little binds with crane not too much but very little it is binding when swinging crane upward and downward i dont know if its is factory fitted on that position or it has another issue
Should i use nail polish as a loctite ?

If It's the type that resembles, the other plate screws, It usually can be turned untill It stops. Without turning It any tighter than plate screws.
It they are clean and dry, they usually don't come loose unless they were loose at the start.
Remember they have fine thread, and any deliberate force will strip threads easily, causing a much worse problem. Whatever you try to stick on It will probably work, just keep in mind, It's super easy to strip, don't force them tight.

· Registered
901 Posts
Ok sir i understood but before its just work fine but now it causing issue like binding crane and also it came loose after few shots i dont know why
My Tracker was that way when I first got it. I checked all the screws before the first range trip that one turned about another 1/4 turn before it got tight, and once it did the crane was binding. A bit of filing/polishing on the tip of the screw and all was smooth.

· Registered
38 Posts
As I said, the screws are soft. and their first tightening at the factory just sets them. All the 357/38 vibration lossens them up pretty quick. Now the threads are seat matched far better than when new. You tighten up and now its too long or the round nose on the tip is too short with the leading threads cutting into the yoke screw groove. Like I said, common thing.

· Registered
32 Posts
As I said, the screws are soft. and their first tightening at the factory just sets them. All the 357/38 vibration lossens them up pretty quick. Now the threads are seat matched far better than when new. You tighten up and now its too long or the round nose on the tip is too short with the leading threads cutting into the yoke screw groove. Like I said, common thing.
I think the type that uses a spring and pin can also be slightly filed or sanded a hair shorter too.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right so many problems i dont know what to do i applied soo much torque on the yoke screw my maximum power around 25kg torque now it bind very little but i also damage my screwdriver tip not screw look like screw is made up of very tough material at first time it is bugger up very easily but after fixing its head and doing some sand paper and removing some excess on the screw head now its very strong much stronger than screwdriver itself but one mistake i did is i super glued my yoke screw now iam afraid also what will happen in the future

· Registered
4,807 Posts
l understand you are from another country. I believe that your screwdriver is made of a soft steel. It's important to use high quallity and well fitting screwdriver when working on firearms. Since you super glued your yoke screw in place, I wouldn't try to remove it for fear of damaging the screw or firearm. Leave the screw in place until it becomes absolutly nessicary that it needs to be removed.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the type that uses a spring and pin can also be slightly filed or sanded a hair shorter too.
Why filing screw tip itt will parmanent damage the screw and if you are not lucky enough
l understand you are from another country. I believe that your screwdriver is made of a soft steel. It's important to use high quallity and well fitting screwdriver when working on firearms. Since you super glued your yoke screw in place, I wouldn't try to remove it for fear of damaging the screw or firearm. Leave the screw in place until it becomes absolutly nessicary that it needs to be removed.
Right bro but the question is in the future how i will remove this screw i dont know now iam thinking it is better to sale this firearm to another person and get a 9mm my favrt is barreta 92 or pt92 i am done with these revolver they have so many issues even my old astra 600 is soo much reliable and my russian ak 47 mild reciever does perform well since i got it

· Registered
4,807 Posts
I don't know if you bought your 66 new or used. I purchased my 66 new and has been trouble free for over 18 years. Other 66 owners on this site have found the 66 to be a very reliable revolver too. I have never had a need to remove the yoke screw.

· Registered
32 Posts
Why filing screw tip itt will parmanent damage the screw and if you are not lucky enough

Right bro but the question is in the future how i will remove this screw i dont know now iam thinking it is better to sale this firearm to another person and get a 9mm my favrt is barreta 92 or pt92 i am done with these revolver they have so many issues even my old astra 600 is soo much reliable and my russian ak 47 mild reciever does perform well since i got it
Acetone will take the glue out,. All I meant was the point in front of the spring, can be more round on the tip, instead of the point scraping against the crane hinge.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if you bought your 66 new or used. I purchased my 66 new and has been trouble free for over 18 years. Other 66 owners on this site have found the 66 to be a very reliable revolver too. I have never had a need to remove the yoke screw.
My grandfather bought this revolver in 1990 brand new i got this in 2020 i fired alsmost 50 rounds of winchester 158 357 mag without any issue everything is fit and tight in this revolver but last week when i removed yoke screw and screw it back in everything is messed up and now it is binding with crane littlebit but revolver is still functional and my another question is will revolver fire without the yoke screw or not?

· Registered
32 Posts
My grandfather bought this revolver in 1990 brand new i got this in 2020 i fired alsmost 50 rounds of winchester 158 357 mag without any issue everything is fit and tight in this revolver but last week when i removed yoke screw and screw it back in everything is messed up and now it is binding with crane littlebit but revolver is still functional and my another question is will revolver fire without the yoke screw or not?
You should not use It with any screws missing, Yes It may fire ..but the cylinder would not be held in place for the gap at forcing cone of the barrel, in It's true position, without the screw the cylinder will shift around too much, even with It locked in by cylinder release.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The yoke screw holds a spring in place. You never mentioned that you installed the spring when installing the yoke screw. When you removed the yoke screw, did you loose the spring?
No sir i already said that my yoke screw is not spring loaded it is one piece screw and i think you are talking about spring plunger that lock the cylinder bolt and locked the cylinder in place yes i still have that plunger and my revolver working fine lockup is tight even if i not installed the yoke screw but the question is will it fire or not without the yoke screw

1 - 20 of 23 Posts